WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sharon in the Seattle Area: My computer has been amazingly stable. I wish I could say the same for my typing skills. Most of my glitches are caused by me. :ohwell:

Vicki : I’m sorry to hear that your younger brother has ALS. It is a disease that I don’t understand very well. Sending good thoughts his way. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: Keep us in the loop regarding your health. I hope things go well. :heart:

Janetr & Heather: I had my fill of heels years ago. I do not like them & have not needed to wear them since my son’s wedding, several years ago. :noway:

(((Michelle in NC)))

I am currently rereading a series of books that I’ve always liked. It has been a year or two since I visited this trilogy and I’m currently in the middle of book 2. I’m enjoying it again. The author is Grace Burrows. DH likes her regency books, but I like this contemporary group of books set in Maryland.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Michele

Janetr – why would your daughter get on you about losing weight? Does she think you didn’t need it?I

Oh yes, she's very proud of my weight loss. What upset me is I want to lose 10# more, she said I was "already skinny". I told her I'm a long way from skinny so she gave me a little lecture on not being able to see how I look and I was "killing myself" to lose more. I think it was mainly stress due to all she has going on right now.

I'm over being hurt and will go right on working on losing the additional pounds. Lol

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Janetr - When I was 154 lbs lots of people told me, including my son, that I didn't need to lose any more. Now I am 139 lbs the same people tell me I look fantastic! I think it's the initial shock and the loss of fat from the face in the early stages. The face seems to fill out a bit more when you stabilise, or else they just get used to it. It's taken me several months to lose this last pound, so I'm not on a crash diet! I do think, from a bone health point of view, that a BMI in the upper reaches of normal range is better at our age. Most studies seem to point that way. I don't want to go below 23.5, which seems to suit me. I am broad shouldered. Just a pound or two to S-L-O-W-L-Y lose. I do have a roll or two, when I sit down.
    SLOWLY, with reference to my DDIL's article I linked, "Be More Snail". :laugh: Lisa, did you read it? <3

Good programme from TMIAD Michael Moseley last night about the benefits of giving up alcohol for a month. Very good for the fatty liver. :noway: Interesting finding - the light drinkers went back to drinking the same after the AF month, but the heavy drinkers cut back to being light, or lighter, drinkers.

Had a better night's sleep last night. Woke up earlyish, but I was asleep before 11. :D

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Vicki My paternal grandfather had ALS. (((Hugs))) for you and your family.

Katla Even ALS experts will admit to the many baffling aspects of ALS. I will tell you what little I know: ALS is a progressive neurological condition that affects the motor functions. Amyotrophic literally means "no nourishment for the muscles". The senses, (hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch) aren't affected. There is minimal or no change in the person's behavior or cognition, which is really important to remember as the disease progresses. The person can see & hear, cognitively process, and react to everything around him/her, but his/her ability to speak and respond is gradually lost. There are some medicines now which can slow progression of the disease, which means that people can live up to 10 years after the diagnosis is made. My grandfather lived less than 2 years after he was diagnosed. I was a sophomore in high school. My dad was a doctor. It was hard to lose Granddad and see Dad helpless.

Janetr & Heather I have gained & lost a lot of weight a number of times. People are very free with unsolicited opinions. Most of the time, it's a weird way of giving a compliment ("don't lose any more!"). But when it's a family member or close friend, it can be disconcerting. The only way I have successfully dealt with family & close friends is to do one of the following when I am commanded not to lose any more weight by someone close to me: either I say, "OK!" with a smile & then do whatever I intended to do anyway. Or, if it's getting to be a broken record, I tell them that my ultimate weight goal impacts MY health, and is to be determined only by my doctor and me. Then I do whatever I intended to do. Right now I am not hearing anything from anybody because my weight has crept back up. People never say anything to me when I am fat. I'm grateful for that. It's hard enough to deal with it when I am thin.

I hope I can go back to sleep. My grandson & I have a lot to cover in school later today, and I want to be on my toes. His ADHD makes him zip through information so fast it makes my head spin, but he can get distracted or skip over something quite easily. 2 days ago he was done with his Civics suspiciously fast. He hadn't downloaded the Lesson Plan or Q&A/Lesson Review. He hadn't read the assignment in the book. He had just zipped through the slides on the computer and called it a day. LOL!!! This is how I spend my mornings.

Karen in Virginia
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Welcome back Terry, we've missed you.
    Rita what is the stone structure that looks like a chimney?
    Lisa in TN Zumba, T'ai Chi, Bellydance and walking with family? What FUN!
    Rebecca "... you definitely notice..." you said it! That IS where the cheese gets binding...
    Tracey, RICE. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Well maybe not the compression. Ice first. Then support the troubled toe with a roll of cotton underneath, extending to toe on either side and tape together. Elevate. take Ipuprofen as recommended on the for inflammation and pain. Take the recommended dosage for at least the first few days. If you try to make do with less, the inflammation/swelling just gets worse.
    Vicki :cry: for your brother and his wife. My papa had ALS. It is such a cruel disease, trapping the mind in an unresponsive body.
    Katla thanks for your DH's Grace Burrows recommendation, Haven't read a regency since Georgette Heyer 30 years ago ;}
    Heather enjoyed your DD's writing, thanks. Sending "Enough #bemoresnail, already!" thoughts to your real estate chain. ;)

Ran out of yoghurt so had to chomp an ounce of jerky to hit today's protein goal. Weight will take a sodium hit tomorrow. So be it.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 3/3, rx/vits 3/3, meditate 3/3, walk one more step 3/3, knee exercises 3/3, core 1/4, walk Tumble 1/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 3/3.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara Your dad had ALS. :'( (((Hugs)))
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I'm back - again. A lot going on here in Vermont. Leaves are quickly changing and I'm not ready. Finally got my cast off, transitioned to the boot, and now I'm in sneakers and doing PT twice a week. Foot feels pretty good. Now it's my husband's time for health issues. Insomnia (sleeps about 4 hours with a strong sleeping pill) and heart issues. He may need a pacemaker. He did have a monitor put in to record what was going on. We've had a few emergency room visits. Another dr's visit on Monday and we are hoping to get some answers then.

My eating is out of control again and I've gained 10 of the 30lbs I lost. This is adding to my stress. I'm going to try to keep checking in with the group as I need all the support I can get.

When I get a minute, I'll read the current posts to see what you all have been up to.

Terry, trying to hold it together in VT

Welcome back, I was just thinking of you yesterday. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka your shoe shop thoughts made me smile. Can you afford to buy backup pairs of the comfortable boots? Don't suppose you could have one big coordinating meeting with representatives from all those demanding organizations? So you could update them all at once and ask them to reconcile their conflicting wants?

No, the organisations are different enough that the each need to be dealt with differently ... and, unfortunately, regularly.

The regularity is because my husband is still changing (healing, plateauing, learning new things, becoming more independent, then maybe taking a step back, etc.) and his needs are changing regularly.

I have had to step in and direct traffic ... and essentially tell each organisation what they can and cannot do. There was just too much faffing about and I was getting too frustrated. But there are a lot of unknowns.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – you know, this Toastmasters looks really good. I wish I could get over my great hesitation about speaking, so I think it might be good for me. Now can I work it into the schedule? What happens if you miss a meeting? How frequently are the meetings – ever week, every other week?

Each club is different. There are some which meet each week, some meet fortnightly, I think others might meet once a month. The club I was a member of was pretty relaxed so there were times where I would miss a meeting and that was OK.

See if there are some clubs in your area, and send them an email or ring them and find out when and where they meet etc. :)

exermom wrote: »
    Lisa in TN – are those ankle weights in the picture? I’m always on the lookout for some but I want ones that have things in them so you can adjust how much weight you have. Plus…I’m a cheapskate about some things and don’t really want to pay a whole lot. As it is now I have a foam roller, a bosu, a rebounder, step with risers, handle bands, bands that go around your feet, a band that is one piece of latex, some dumbells, and a ball.

I have ankle weights like the ones you describe, but if you find some, do be careful with them.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/312586-are-ankle-weights-bad-for-your-knees/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/wearable-weights-how-they-can-help-or-hurt

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    feeling much better , and my brother already texted me and said he is in for tonight.. im so happy....he and I dont get to spend time together and we will be able to have a great time tonight and a somber and closer for my dad tomorrow with his burial...only thing on that list will be the sale of the house...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Michelle - Yeah, I've gotten used to 'not driving' - although living 30 miles from where we used to live and where my friends are - I find it pretty 'confining'. Getting rather 'bored'.

Can you take a bus?

I took my husband and his carer on the bus into the city yesterday ... getting them used to using that method of transportation.

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Vicki My paternal grandfather had ALS. (((Hugs))) for you and your family.

Katla Even ALS experts will admit to the many baffling aspects of ALS. I will tell you what little I know: ALS is a progressive neurological condition that affects the motor functions. Amyotrophic literally means "no nourishment for the muscles". The senses, (hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch) aren't affected. There is minimal or no change in the person's behavior or cognition, which is really important to remember as the disease progresses. The person can see & hear, cognitively process, and react to everything around him/her, but his/her ability to speak and respond is gradually lost. There are some medicines now which can slow progression of the disease, which means that people can live up to 10 years after the diagnosis is made. My grandfather lived less than 2 years after he was diagnosed. I was a sophomore in high school. My dad was a doctor. It was hard to lose Granddad and see Dad helpless.

Janetr & Heather I have gained & lost a lot of weight a number of times. People are very free with unsolicited opinions. Most of the time, it's a weird way of giving a compliment ("don't lose any more!"). But when it's a family member or close friend, it can be disconcerting. The only way I have successfully dealt with family & close friends is to do one of the following when I am commanded not to lose any more weight by someone close to me: either I say, "OK!" with a smile & then do whatever I intended to do anyway. Or, if it's getting to be a broken record, I tell them that my ultimate weight goal impacts MY health, and is to be determined only by my doctor and me. Then I do whatever I intended to do. Right now I am not hearing anything from anybody because my weight has crept back up. People never say anything to me when I am fat. I'm grateful for that. It's hard enough to deal with it when I am thin.

I hope I can go back to sleep. My grandson & I have a lot to cover in school later today, and I want to be on my toes. His ADHD makes him zip through information so fast it makes my head spin, but he can get distracted or skip over something quite easily. 2 days ago he was done with his Civics suspiciously fast. He hadn't downloaded the Lesson Plan or Q&A/Lesson Review. He hadn't read the assignment in the book. He had just zipped through the slides on the computer and called it a day. LOL!!! This is how I spend my mornings.

Karen in Virginia

I love your responses to people about your weight loss. People really are funny. Now folks are saying the same thing to both DH and I—“you two are shrinking! Stop that!” I will use your responses from now on!!

Also your GS sounds like some students of mine. I have a talented bass player who is always miles ahead of himself and can’t/won’t stay steady—he’ll say what’s the point? I already know this, etc. stay strong with him.

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Nettie - My DH 's elder daughter is Aspergers. She is able to work at home two days a week. She wears noise cancelling headphones for the commute. She was only diagnosed this year at the age of 48 after a couple of meltdowns. She was very relieved to have a label for her lifelong "strangeness". :) You wouldn't notice it on a casual aquaintance. She was just always a bit different. DH and I read the book NEURO TRIBES, by Steve Silberman, which gave us a great insight. It is very positive.
    So hallo from Hampshire UK. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday!
    Vicki-My heart goes out to your brother and his wife dealing with ALS. My late sister's husband had ALS. He was diagnosed while in his late twenties and was gone by age 33. It was heartbreaking to watch. Sending much love and hugs!
    Karen VA- I would probably enjoy those Khan classes. I am very "reward" oriented and would respond well to the "ding" of a correct answer! lol You are amazing!
    Barbie I have enough clothes for about seven days (without wearing the same thing twice; although sometimes I do). I just look at my wardrobe as my "scrubs" or uniform for work. I have a couple of skirts and dress tops that I wear to "nice" functions, but that is it. I love to see great outfits on other people, and would probably love to wear great outfits; but I don't like clothes shopping. Never have.
    Pip- I am curious. When you were overweight did you wear a more supportive shoe? Did you have to "ease" into the vibrams? I wear running shoes all of the time; but in the past six months I have started building up my time OUT of them. Just trying to ease my way into a comfortable life without shoes.
    Heather- Love the pic of the grands and Jess's article is spot on! I live a snail's life and I think I have my daycare kids to thank for that. Kids notice EVERYTHING and have to stop and investigate. I am always grateful for that gift that they have given me. Your pink scarf and gloves are beautiful! Please post of photo of you with them on (full outfit)! I bet you look gorgeous!
    Shoes- I live in running shoes! I have found Brooks and Asics to be the ones that my feet like best. Looooong narrow feet. Size 11, A width. Used to be a size 10, but the weight gain has changed my arches and my shoe size. :( Before I was a daycare provider, I worked in restaurants and wore 2 1/2 to 3 inch heels every day. Now, I can handle a one to two inch heel; but anything higher than that and I feel unbalanced and my ankles begin to hurt.

Are any of you ladies on medication for hypothyroid? Were you on meds for it when you were overweight and then were able to get off the meds? Is this a medication that once your body is at a healthy place that you can stop taking it? I am loathe to begin taking the meds, especially after watching my mother in law travel down that rabbit hole of medication and over medicaton.

Sending love and hugs to all of you! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Thanks for the welcome back. Was up at midnight and then again at 5am with DH. He's a mess and I'm worried. He told me he sometimes has trouble knowing what is real and was isn't. He didn't take the sleeping pill last night as it wasn't helping a whole lot (2 to 4 hr sleep) and left him so groggy he can't function. I told him he was not to use the stove as I'm afraid he will forget to turn it off. He said he double checks it when he turns it off and I said what if you think you did but didn't. We have a gas stove. So he promises me he won't use it.

Can you get a carer to check on your husband when you're at work? Even just to come in for an hour in early afternoon or something?

Having someone with my husband is such a relief. We're reducing her hours now as he starts to become more independent, but it's good to know that someone will be along to check on him when I can't be there.

That might be one of the questions you ask the Dr on Monday.

Take care.

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Terry - Big hugs and prayers.

Okie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,109 Member
    Options
    Terry- welcome back! Glad to see you posting here again.

<3