Lose weight = looking older??

Options

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Judging from your picture you look better than the average 49 year olds so don’t trip
  • resplendent2121
    resplendent2121 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look more childlike when I loose weight, honestly.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I definitely look my actual age when I lose weight.
    When I'm bigger, I look younger.
    I got asked if my 10-year-old was my little brother at my biggest hahaha.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on if you change your style along with your weight. If you update your hair make up and clothes it can make a big difference to peoples perception of your age. I have noticed this a lot in the before and afters.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I keep thinking this over and wondering: Why is it a problem to look older, especially when the concommitant effects are feeling younger, being healthier, creating a higher likelihood of living longer in independence and good health, being a better example of health and agency for those we love, and so many more positive things? (Rhetorical question, BTW, no need to answer.)

I understand that youthful appearance is a goal for many, but for myself I don't really get it. People say older women are more likely to be ignored, get worse service in businesses, etc. I very rarely see this . . . and believe me, when I do, I know how to make myself un-ignored pretty darned quickly.

Yeah, much-younger guys don't hit on me. I think it would be icky if they did, speaking only for myself. Guys my own age don't hit on me much, either, but that's fine: If a few wrinkles put them off, I don't need them in my life, because they're *baby-feline*heads. (IRL, I think my personality puts off more people than my appearance, actually. ;) ).

I'd also add this, to people worrying about loose facial/neck skin at goal weight: Keep in mind that it can keep shrinking for a long time in maintenance, if it's true loose skin (thin wrinkles, not residual squish-y fat areas). Also, glycogen replenishment will create appearance improvements as well. I think my face/neck look better in year 3 of maintenance than they did in the first weeks at goal.

The youth-glorifying and youth-seeking in our culture really annoys me sometimes. Aging is good. Consider the actual alternative.

JMO.

I guess it doesn't in theory bother me to look older than my age but I am married to someone 6 years younger than me who has been mistaken for a college student even though he is on the other side of 30 as well. I would be upset if I was mistaken for his mother or grandmother. Grateful to be alive and healthy no matter what but it could bother me to look older.
    So far I look my age or a few years younger.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have to say I think I look older now than when I was heavier, less fat to puff out the wrinkles I suppose! (I'm 49). I choose being slim and healthy so if a side effect is looking a bit older that's just how it has to be.

I have noticed from the majority of the before/after photos hardly anyone looks younger with weight off (unless they are young of course!).

Anyway, just putting this out there for opinions/thoughts.

Ruth

I know I looked older so I grew a beard to keep down the remarks about my hollow looking face. Over the last few months I have let it grow at the request of my daughter due to Christmas season coming. Now the wife states I look 10 years older than ever. Pleasing all the women all of the time is not my forte it seems. :)

Health comes first over looks in my book. I never want my fat jaws back.

I envy men their ability to grow a beard!
  • gardnerjes
    gardnerjes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think I maybe look older, but more as a result of a bit of sagging residual loose skin (or loose skin with some subcutaneous fat) on my face. My neck looks a little stringier, but I don't know whether it counts as turkey neck or not . . . in any case, I don't think it looks worse than the double chins did, just different.

What matters more to me is that I feel much younger, feel more like myself somehow, joints hurt less (and less frequently), I can do more, and I think I move in a younger way than when I was obese. I had been starting to walk with that side-to-side rocking motion you see in heavy older women, and now I have a regular walk with more hip mobility, more scamper-y, even.

I'm 62, if that matters - was 59-60 when I lost 50ish pounds, now maintaining.

In the "Photo Only Success Stories" thread, I think most people look younger in their after photos.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories

Thanks for sharing this I found it really helpful and inspiring.