Options
1235»

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    @DoubleUbea "I am going to guess that the OP of this claim is a college student, college students know everything. She probably read that statement on a pro-vegan website and repeats it without verifying the information."

Umm, excuse me, I am a PhD student and I certainly don't think I know everything. In fact, the more I study, the more I realise I dont know! Please don't throw stereotypes around.

Unless I am mistaken @lcrizz is the originator of the wild cheese addiction claim. Why are you acting defensive?

Pms mate :lol:
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am a former vegan and I struggle with binge eating. I gave up veganism because it made my binging worse. At first I had the same experience you did and I dropped a lot of weight but over time the binging came back. Because vegan 'treats' like desserts and fast food are so rarely available I would end up binging whenever I had them. Like if I was at a vegan restaurant that had a lot of things like veggie burgers, fried chik'n sandwiches, cupcakes etc. my thought process would be ok, I won't have access to these things again for a long time so I need to get everything I want to eat.

Veganism is a very restrictive diet and I don't think most people could stick to it without any ethical motivation to do so. Personally I have a much better attitude towards food when I don't have any category restrictions. But this is just my experience and you may find you enjoy eating vegan after you figure out what staples you enjoy.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Until you start posting valid sources, your claims are not valid. I’d like to know, what chemical?
    I am going to guess that the OP of this claim is a college student, college students know everything. She probably read that statement on a pro-vegan website and repeats it without verifying the information.
    Do you consume DHMO?
    Dihydrogen monoxide can be very lethal! If only more people knew of the dangers.

Lmao at the Dihydrogen Monoixde comment.
    Despite how dangerous it is, I am consuming it even as I type this...
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Until you start posting valid sources, your claims are not valid. I’d like to know, what chemical?
    I am going to guess that the OP of this claim is a college student, college students know everything. She probably read that statement on a pro-vegan website and repeats it without verifying the information.
    Do you consume DHMO?
    Dihydrogen monoxide can be very lethal! If only more people knew of the dangers.

Lmao at the Dihydrogen Monoixde comment.
    Despite how dangerous it is, I am consuming it even as I type this...

I like to use the terms "hydrogen hydroxide" or "hydroxic acid", myself. Almost everyone has heard of dihydrogen monoxide, but those two are scary-sounding and are obscure enough to catch people out.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    . Vegetarians EAT no animal products.

that isnt correct.

Vegetarians eat no meat or fish.

They do eat animal products like milk, honey, eggs, cheese.

a vegan eats no animal products - and yes, usually, makes other non animal choices that do not involve food - eg not wearing leather or wool.
    But it is possible to be a vegan and still wear a woollen cardigan

Not according to the vegans and vegetarians I know. Vegetarians, by definition eat vegetable matter only. Some may self describe as ovo-lacto vegetarians (eat eggs and dairy) but that is not a true vegetarian. Vegetarians also have no problem with animal products like leather or with things like honey and caviar that are produced by animals. Vegans do. If it is produced by an animal, a vegan will not touch it.

Vegetarianism is how you eat. Veganism is how you live.

This is actually really variable. I'm a 25+ year vegetarian (lacto-ovo, never had anyone tell me I wasn't vegetarian), and my stance is 'nothing the animal dies for'. So that rules out leather, as well as animal by-products such as gelatine, food colourings derived from animals, etc. I know plenty of other vegetarians who share that stance.

Calfs do die for dairy though. In order for us to have milk, cows need to have babies, the babies are taken away at birth and either culled, crated or become veal. Also baby male chicks are often ground up alive as they are no good to the industry. Female chickens grow up then produce eggs for us to eat then when not laying enough eggs get killed. The Dairy and egg industries are not cruelty free and the animals do die.

Well aware of this, but thanks for the lecture.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    There is a crap ton of vegan garbage food out there, including the fake meats you mention. I’m WFPB — and yes, it’s restrictive. Can be very hard to eat in restaurants. But to me, it’s worth it. My skin and digestion are drastically improved.

It's so weird to me that vegans can look at what other vegans eat and call it "garbage." I'd like to think we have more in common than not, but stuff like this makes it really difficult to sense a common community.

Let’s face it, any WOE has crap food. My point is, being vegan isn’t a silver bullet for weight loss or health. Many of the vegan processed foods are just as calories dense as their regular counterparts.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

I don't know if someone's commented this already ... but they don't "line cheese with something addictive". Milk contains casein which releases opiates in the brain called casomorphines, this is so the calf comes back to the mum for more milk. It's naturally lined with an opiate because of evolution, not because the cheese industry what's you to eat more cheese.

Btw I'm vegan and I recommend a HEALTHY diet. You can be omni, veggie or plant based and still be healthy ... just focus on that before labelling yourself or if you do keep slipping up it'll just bring your mood down. Xx
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I am a former vegan and I struggle with binge eating. I gave up veganism because it made my binging worse. At first I had the same experience you did and I dropped a lot of weight but over time the binging came back. Because vegan 'treats' like desserts and fast food are so rarely available I would end up binging whenever I had them. Like if I was at a vegan restaurant that had a lot of things like veggie burgers, fried chik'n sandwiches, cupcakes etc. my thought process would be ok, I won't have access to these things again for a long time so I need to get everything I want to eat.

Veganism is a very restrictive diet and I don't think most people could stick to it without any ethical motivation to do so. Personally I have a much better attitude towards food when I don't have any category restrictions. But this is just my experience and you may find you enjoy eating vegan after you figure out what staples you enjoy.

I'm actually quite respectful/envious of people that can go Vegan for ethical reasons and eat healthy. I've moved a lot more plant based in the last few years, but my wife and I eat meat a couple of days a week. I do find that the three or so Vegan days I do a week now, I can eat a lot heavier or binge. I mostly binge on nut butters on those days. I do train heavy and intake quite a bit of protein, so if I have a SunWarrior protein drink during the day, that helps quite a bit.

I don't think it hurts anyone to plan a few plant based meals a week. The same way we used to look at our homecooked meat and potato meals, we are gaining more and more plant based favorites all the time. I'm all into Vegan Buddha Bowls now. Love them.

If someone can go entirely Vegan and do it with more vegetables and less processed food (and have knowledge of dietary supplements like zinc, B-12, Vegan Omega 3s and other potential shortfalls of the vegan diet), then that's fantastic. More power to them.
  • fruitypoison
    fruitypoison Posts: 3 Member
    Options

If you are going to live on shakes and vegan nuggets then no I don't think you'll see any benefits over eating chicken nuggets and shakes.

Either diet sounds unhealthy to me.

I second this! You’ll be just as unhealthy as before if all you eat is vegan junk! Like any other way of eating, vegans can be just unhealthy if all they eat is substitutes. From my experience I’m a lot healthier on an 80% raw and other 20% cooked vegan diet. Everyone is different. But if you can’t get most of your nutrients from Whole Foods, I wouldn’t recommend a vegan diet. You can be healthy on an omnivorous diet too, but with my health problems such as hormone imbalance and infertility, it wasn’t resolved until I switched to vegan diet.
  • lililomo2
    lililomo2 Posts: 250 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

this was me when i went vegan. i was bingeing on crap food and miracle of miracles, i ended up with major appendicitis, went septic and was hospitalized for a week. i eat far differently now, lost 20 lbs and would never go back to that way of eating. each to their own but i need to log my food daily or i'm SOL. :D , for me that's the bottom line, and my gut is much happier. good luck to everyone on their health journey!
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I gave up all animal products over a year ago. It’s not hard, and there’s more food to eat than you can imagine. Our grocery bill was cut in half too. Now if you eat all the processed crap that’s vegan, then it will be expensive and unhealthy. At first it was hard reading every label, but it just became a way of life. It takes more food prep, but the difference in health is amazing. I lost 30 lbs and lowered my cholesterol in 3 months without dieting! I never counted a calorie! I eliminated the need for a statin. My teenage daughter’s face cleared up almost immediately! It was amazing the difference in her skin. We have way more energy and did not get one cold or flu in over a year!!

Now I’ve put in a few pounds because I’ve been lazy and eating prepared snacks, pasta etc. the past few month. But it’s now time to cut all that out. I’m. salty snacked chips nuts etc. I’ve been eating way too many chips. But it’s an easy fix, I need to snack better, with wholesome food grown from the earth.

I was vegan for 13 yrs before I became pregnant with my daughter. I found it hard to get enough protein, so I added dairy which doesn’t exactly agree with my stomach to get the necessary protein.

We have no problems without animal products. Most restaurants have vegan menus if you ask, or you could always order sides. It’s not hard to adapt.

What are your reasons for going vegan?? I’m not vegan because I still have leather purses and shoes. My daughter however is full fledged vegan because of her outrage at the treatment of animals in commercial farming. Watch What The Health, Vegucated, and Forks Over Knives to see firsthand the benefits of getting rid of animal products.