October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Kind of funny this morning. Since signing up for my first half marathon I've been aprehensive about having to run in the rain 'because I'm serious about this and a bit of wet stuff cannot be allowed to affect my training'. Some background info here: I'm British so pretty much grew up in rain, but live in Spain and am married to a Spaniard who is either a cat really or secretly thinks he will dissolve if he gets rained on. Anyway, so far we had only had a few drops of rain....this week the forecast was for heavy rain Monday and Tuesday and showers today and tomorrow. Monday was a rest day. Yesterday it was cloudy and ugly sky but held off until long after my run. Sooooo I had reckoned I had once again missed my chance to be a badass and run in the rain. Woke up in the early hours to the sound of torrential rain and storms. Got up at 6.30, looked at the news to find we were on 'red alert' until 9am and the authorities recommended everyone stay indoors. I run at 8 when my daughter leaves for school. Today's schedule was for a quick 3km recovery run. So I sit and think "Am I crazy enough to go out and run in that? Is it at all sensible to go out and run in that?" At 7.30 it stopped. Well dang. Never mind, I thought, I'll go out and hope it starts again. To tempt fate, as it is still pretty warm and it wasn't actually raining when I was ready to leave, I didn't bother taking my cap OR brand new waiting to be tried out rainproof running jacket. At that point my husband decided to announce I was absolutely insane and if I was going to insist on being that crazy he would have to come with me "just in case anything happened to me". He's very unfit and has only come with me a couple of times, manages to run about 10 minutes before going purple and having to slow, so I had to adjust my planned route to an out and back that I could run on ahead and then pick him up on my way back. The entire walk to where I start to run and the kilometre he kept up with me he muttered about how wet we were going to get and how crazy we were.
    It didn't rain. Nearest thing I felt to a raindrop was when I ran under a tree. Nothing, nada, zilch rain.
    Got home, had a shower, started making breakfast, looked out the window to see it was raining again.
    The powers that be are ganging up to ruin my dream of being a badass runner, obviously.
    So, as @Avidkeo encouraged me to, I tried to be 'Pastor Vincent insane' but apparently I'm just not good enough LOL

2/10: 6km
    3/10: 3km
    4/10: 6km
    7/10: 8.5km
    9/10: 6.5km
    10/10: 3km
    October goal: 90km, stretch goal: 105km. Completed so far: 33km.

Sounds like me! I've managed to avoid running in the rain until I decided to just run in it, and it's only happened once. Was supposed to pour down this week but it hasn't happened. In 3 months I've had one badass running in the rain, and it was pathetic rain.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 miles
    10/1: planned rest day
    10/2: 4.5 miles
    10/3: 9 miles
    10/4: 5.5 miles
    10/5: 7 miles
    10/6: cross train ditched for rest
    10/7: 3 miles
    10/8: planned rest
    10/9: rest until cleared by NP
    10/10: 10 miles
    Total: 39 miles

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Aw, poor Hobbes. Hugs @shanaber
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    welcome @winn9524
    belly rubs for hobbes @shanaber
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks all on the good wishes for Hobbes. Anxiously waiting the results and trying to keep him somewhat 'subdued' at least until the stitches come out is already going to be a challenge!

@biketheworld - I have worn several different Altra models. Initially I really liked the original One-2 other than trying to get the fit right. They were goofy looking but light and fast! I did not like the changes that were made to the One 2.5 as the fit was really off.
    I also tried the Torins which for me had too high a stack height and too much cushion. I felt the same about the Intuitions but I know other people who really love them. I am just not a fan of super cushioned shoes - they make me feel like I am working really hard to run.
    I have a pair of Impulse which are ok but not my favorite.
    Finally I currently have a pair of Escalante that I really like. I wear them for my easy or recovery runs as they are a bit more cushioned than my other running shoes but not as much as the Torin or Intuition.
    I like zero drop shoes but it is true that if you are wear 4mm drop you won't feel a huge difference. If you are in 8, 12 or higher drop it can take some adjusting and I now have a difficult time going back to shoes with a higher drop.

@sarahthes - Running in that snow should be awesome!! Wish I could run in it too!
    @marisap2010 - Love the sign above your door and the bling from your hubby!! So awesome!
    @amirahdaboss - 'fixing my messed up college student sleep schedule' may have all kinds of benefits beyond getting those early runs in!
    @fitoverfortymom - Well I am really happy it isn't a stress fracture but also hope it isn't labrum tear either!
    @mbaker566 - I am away from the group for a couple of days and you get ANOTHER pup!! He is adorable though! I thought #3 had a family lined up to take him?

There are too many other posts I would like to respond to but there are just too many because I got so far beyond... Welcome to the additional newbies to the group - things move fast here!
    Also great running to everyone who made it out the door, rain, snow or shine or on the TM!!
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love to join this group if that is okay. My goal this month is 90 miles. My bigger goal, however, is to run below a 10 minute mile. I am having the most difficult time doing so. I just started weight training so I am blaming it! Any suggestions, ideas, etc. I would love to have them :smile:

You are more than welcome! But I do suggest you do some research on various plans and pick one to follow. The vast majority of new runners will fail if they set up to just run. Maybe pick a race length, like 5k or 10k and train for that?

Speed will come in time, build good habits first. :)

Oh goodness, not new to running, just weight training! I have been running years. I had to take 2 years off do to neck surgery (decompression, laminectomy, etc) so I just got back to it about three months ago.

I am just trying to fit weight training which I am new to with my running schedule. I want my cake and eat it too and do both on the same days, but am told that is a "No, No!" Thank you for your ideas and great response.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hikinggal11 - are you saying you are just starting to run and trying to push a 10 min mile?
    Can you have an easy conversation at the pace you are running without being out of breath?

If not I would suggest:
    1) slow down to where you can have a conversation w/o being out of breath
    2) build time and distance slowly to avoid injury (trying to do too much too soon)
    3) as your body builds endurance you will naturally get faster and then you can also add in some speed work (tempo runs, intervals, etc..)
    4) listen to your body and be sure to rest

On strength training and running - it is good to do both but again initially I would not run on training days and I would try to find at least one day for a full recovery/rest day (no running, no training). Over time you will likely be able to run and train on the same day but it is important to listen to your body and build slowly.

Nope, not new to running, just weight training. I want to run 5 days a week and weight train 3 days a week but can not do them both on the same day......so, I guess the universe is going have to change and provide more than 7 days in a week!

Thank you so much for your reply and ideas!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Just got a call back from the doctor. The MRI showed no stress fracture in my hip, but does show FAI (as did the X-rays). I'm not sure if that definitely means a torn labrum yet or not (will ask when I go in to the dr. for follow-up on Friday), or just the spurs on my hip.

I still may need surgery, but that's another question I'm going to ask. I went to this doctor specifically because if it was FAI (which is what I thought before he mentioned stress fracture), they are pro-other-treatments-besides-surgery-first for this particular ailment.

FAI is just a fancy term for the spurs, I'm assing you have pincer type of FAI since you mention spurs. It doesnt ahve anything to do with a torn labrum - that should have been on your MRI report. FAI is sort of the newish buzz diagnosis. many people have FAI and not even know it.

Hopefully what ever happens, you get running soon!