Anyone NOT on keto?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Since my trigger food is bread - and lots of it - I had to initially find out what meal plan works best for me. Since there are essential oils, essential proteins, essential vitamins, essential minerals but NO essential carbohydrates (or does anyone know of an essential carbs?) I took it easy with carbs to start with - around 50 g. per day. Over the last 6 1/2 months this increased slowly to between 90 and 100 g., mainly from vegetables, some fruit and milk products. According to the macros I eat a balanced meal and I can stick to this meal plan long term. So far I have lost about 25 kg - meal by meal, day by day.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Ive noticed that everyone seems to be on keto and doing well. Ive done it and its not for me. I can't live with my occasional piece of toast or glass of wine. I guess what im look for are people who are have success with weightloss by just counting calories. ☺

I know nothing about Keto just another fad like paleo was a few years back IMO there will be something new in a year or 2 just wait for it.

I just track and maintain my weight loss, workout and do bulk and cutting cycles for the last 5 years. Just track what you eat and you're good.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    You can take my carbs when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. I just don't find fat that satiating.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    TonyFitGuy wrote: »
    I think that any restrictive diet is doomed to fail. Like MrTee1985, I am just doing my own thing and am being successful. I call it the "Don't be a dumbass" eating plan. I am trying to lose weight and get fit. Not sure if that's where you are in your journey.

Some keys to eating and exercise success as far as I see it:

-Be mindful about what you shove in your face. Think about what you are goingto eat before you eat it. Ask yourself if it fits in your plan for the day. Oh yeah, have a plan.
    - Don't restrict foods. If you want carbs, eat carbs. Be mindful about how it will affect your plan for the day/week/whatever.
    - Log everything, every day.
    - DON'T KILL YOURSELF IN THE GYM. Take your time, take it slow. Everyone wants instant results, but pushing it too hard and getting injured is a quick ticket to the "I quit" train.

Good luck! Enjoy some wine once in a while

You have given such great advice! I follow your eating and exercise plan to a T.

• josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    No keto here! I count macros! Protein, carbs and fat! Love it all!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Also not keto. Been there, done that (miserably). I like carbs and am losing fat just fine.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Technically not keto; protein is too high & fat is restricted too much, moderate carbohydrates, ~100grams (bas*ardized keto). Actually changing my macros in a few weeks due to Seasonal weather changes (higher carbohydrates, cutting protein back, fat will be about the same).

High fat, restricted protein always results in a less than stellar physique (less fullness, look more flat, overall musculature & detail begins to look lacking) & performance at least for myself & is generally not recommended for weight lifters
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I completely ignore carbs, and just eat to calorie goal, plus eat a certain minimum of fats and protein, plus plenty of fruits/veggies (love 'em). I did that all through weight loss (50ish pounds) a couple of years ago, and continuing to now (going into year 3 of maintanence). Carbs usually end up around 200g, plus or minus 50. Sooo, sooo not keto. I go over the MFP default sugar goal pretty much every day (inherent sugars, mostly, not added).

Keto is great for people who find that limiting carbs reduces appetite/cravings, or for a few specific medical conditions. I'm not among those people.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't do Keto, or any other type of "diet". I eat clean and adjust my eating habits as needed. I don't have an issue with diets, but they just don't work for me. The closest "program" that comes to my eating habits is Bill Phillips "Eating for Life", though I don't get much into supplements or eating 6 times a day.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    I started out on Keto.
    After a couple of weeks I realized it was not the plan for me.
    If I couldn't stay on the plan for 2 weeks how was I going to stay on it for ever?
    I count calories and pay attention to macros.
    I'm losing about 4 pounds a week just eating better and walking 30 minutes a day.
    Down over 30 pounds with another 80 or so to go.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I love Fruits and Veggies, I could never keep my carbs down and have no interest in that. I don't track carbs and am not bothered at all by them. Yippee! I have lost 60 lbs so far by limiting my calorie intake and going crazy on carbs if I so desire :smile:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Down 50lbs by using MFP's calorie allowance and walking to work as often as I can, I don't deny myself anything but will have it in moderation.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Not my cup of tea (or bullet proof coffee). :lol:
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Its not for me. I tried it and was miserable and starving. I lose weight just fine counting calories and being happy with my carbs!
  • belladamjc
    belladamjc Posts: 55 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm 48 and down almost 30 of a target 100 pounds at a managed 1.75lbs per week. I largely maintain my old eating habits with weight training, so I focus on protein target and then fill calories with carbs up to my limit. Works fine and I don't have to make any major painful dietary adjustments, besides eliminating soda.
  • Libraryluo
    Libraryluo Posts: 10 Member
    Whew! So thankful for this thread! Just got done reading all kinds of 'keto is the only way' on other websites, and I was feeling pretty hopeless. I'm day 24 on the Whole 30 and can't wait until it's over and I can have my dairy back! Lol!
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    I'm a carbaholic! No keto for me! Whole food plant based! I consume about 900 grams of carbs a day, eat around 2200 calories a day. I started in January of this year and i'm down 83 pounds already.
  • leduck1
    leduck1 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm eating a Mediterranean-type diet using a balanced plate. I'm also calorie conscious-- I try to stay aware of how many calories I'm eating, but I use portion control more than calorie counting to stay on top of my intake.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I’m not, I feel better eating carbs. I did Keto a few years ago but couldn’t sustain it after a couple of months.
  • ThePolskaGirl
    ThePolskaGirl Posts: 2 Member
    Yeah I am not on Keto...but I do try to stay Way from things like bread rice etc at night. I think Keto works for certain people.I am on a more plant based way of eating an just started mfp
This discussion has been closed.