October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - So sorry you had all that pain. It is amazing that you finished and placed! :heart:

10/1 - Transform App- Upper body
    10/2 - 4 miles + TA W3 Legs
    10/3 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper Body
    10/4 - TA W4 Legs
    10/5 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper
    10/6 - 4 miles in Tampa
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 4 miles + Transform - Arms/Back
    10/9 - Transform App - Legs/Glutes
    10/10 - 3 miles
    10/11 - Transform App - Back/Arms
    10/12 - tried to run but glute pain, walked 2 miles
    10/13 - 4 miles + transform upper body
    10/14 - 4 miles!
    10/15 - Transform App - chest, arms

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hey, smert peeple! What do you think of:

https://humon.io

Says it tracks "muscle oxygen" - this a new one to me. Any good? Any real use? Should I care?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I think I ask a question every time I post lol. What do you do when it's icy/slick outside?

Different strides for different folks but most fall in 3 options:

1) Skip run
    2) Run on dreadmill
    3) Run in icy/slick conditions

Trail shoes often function better in snow/ice than street shoes. Spikes on your shoes (screws or something like yack-tracks) also help a lot.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I think I ask a question every time I post lol. What do you do when it's icy/slick outside?

If it were truly icy, as in an ice storm I wouldn't run outside. If it's icy as in packed snow I'd just use my regular road shoes. At some point I would go with trail shoes and finally, I'd use a pair of screw shoes

In any case, I'd run slower and with shorter steps.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    More about screw shoes http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I second this advice /\
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    10/1 = 3 miles
    10/2 = vacation
    10/3 = 5 miles hiking on vacation
    10/4 = vacation
    10/5 = 3 miles
    10/6 = 10 miles
    10/7 = 11 miles
    10/8 = rest day
    10/9 = 12 miles
    10/10 = 6 miles
    10/11 = 4 miles
    10/12 = 17 miles
    10/13 = rest day
    10/14 = 8 miles
    10/15 = ⛈ :(

October goal miles = 120 / 79 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

For snowy roads, I wear trail shoes. For patches of ice in snow, the trail shoes are good enough; but mostly it's about learning to recognize where the ice is and to run so I don't fall down.

For solid ice the day after an ice storm, I wore half inch spikes to run 8K of cross country. Many runners fell down that day, but I left no butt prints on the course. That leads me to believe that for road running the day after an ice storm, I'd probably be okay putting quarter inch spikes into my Saucony Kilkennys; but I haven't seen conditions of ice everywhere since that cross country event in February 2017.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Well where I live, it doesn't stay below freezing for very long usually. Which typically either leads to it snowing and then melting right away, or drizzling, and then freezing on the ground lol. Like this morning when we were walking out to my car it was a little slippery going down the deck stairs because it had been raining/drizzling and then I guess it dropped below freezing over night. I didn't run this morning but it got me wondering what I would do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

oh wow, you actually put screws into your shoes... pointy side up? LOL that makes me nervous. I suppose you have to have a separate pair of shoes for this.
  • 7lenny7
    Options

oh wow, you actually put screws into your shoes... pointy side up? LOL that makes me nervous. I suppose you have to have a separate pair of shoes for this.

Yep! As long you don't use screws that are too long ;) It's the head of the screw that digs into the ice.

The great thing about this method is that it's CHEAP. just $2 or $3 will get you enough screws for years. I typically will use a pair of shoes that are close to being worn out, since I don't use screw shoes very often. When winter is over you can take the screws out and still run in the shoes. There's no damage which prevents their use on regular pavement.

The first time you run in screw shoes you should either run a short route, or carry a screwdriver in case you need to take one out. One time I put a screw right where the ball of my big toe is. It didn't hurt, but it was annoying to feel the pressure.

• biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - what an awesome mug - and such an honor you were able to perform their ceremony.

@mbaker566 - so sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK but sorry to hear about the car.

June goal - 44/44
    July goal - 52/52
    August goal - 55/57 miles
    Sept goal - 72/60 miles
    Oct goal - 25/60 miles

Sept. 30 - Wineglass Half Marathon; Corning, NY
    October 7 - Viking Dash Half Marathon; Toledo, OH

February 2 - Sedona Half

exercise.png