October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Rest day and bio midterm day today. Need to work on my sleep schedule, and the celebrator psl I got won't help (should have ordered decaf but I forgot). Also, Monopoly started at Mcdonald's today so I made some less than stellar food choices. Didn't eat all my fries so it counts as a small victory in my books lol.
  • jele30
    jele30 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Soccer practice was cancelled just as we were getting ready to go, so we improvised and went to the gym. Husband wanted to swim and use the whirlpool, so I used the treadmill on one of the virtual settings. A little hill work and it was fast paced, but very warm there.

10/3 - 5 miles
    10/5 - 5 miles
    10/7 - 9 miles
    10/9 - 5 miles
    10/10 - 3 miles

27 miles total/ 75 goal
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

I am just trying to fit weight training which I am new to with my running schedule. I want my cake and eat it too and do both on the same days, but am told that is a "No, No!" Thank you for your ideas and great response.

It's not necessarily a no no. It just depends. I do both somedays. Somedays I do them back to back, somedays an am/pm split.

The key is to do whatever you want to improve on most first. So if you want to be a better runner you make your run the priority. If you want to get stronger/build strength more you do that first.

So when training for a race I prioritize running. When I'm doing my strength challenge I lift first. It really depends on your goals.

Just don't push too hard too fast and take at least one rest day.

I would agree with this. I do both on the same day at least once a week, usually twice. I run 6 days, strength train 2 days. On Mondays, I run first then do strength training right after. On Thursdays I do strength in the morning and run after work. That's just how my schedule works out. I prefer the Monday schedule and getting it all done at once. I also prioritize the running part of it for right now.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    10/02/18 :::: 4.2 :::: 9.2
    10/03/18 :::: 7.1 :::: 16.3
    10/04/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 20.0
    10/05/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.0
    10/06/18 :::: 20.0 :::: 40.0
    10/07/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 45.0
    10/08/18 :::: 4.5 :::: 49.6
    10/09/18 :::: 5.1 :::: 54.7
    10/10/18 :::: 5.9 :::: 60.6

Tonight was the last speedwork session of this training season. I am so happy to be done! We did "long intervals", which were 5-6-4-5 minutes, with 90 seconds recovery in between. With warm-up, cool-down and 7 sprints I got just under 6 miles in.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    9.4 km up Pats Creek Trail tonight, forgot my watch at home so ran old school - by feel. Nailed it.
    Its about a 200m climb over 4.7 km so a constant grind. A very cold evening with wind funnelling down the valley and I was underdressed in a long sleeve tech shirt, no gloves, no coat-windbreaker.
    Only 3 of us out tonight as most of the group is in recovery after the Victoria Marathon on the weekend. Looks like the Timers had to do some corrections as the times changed from when I first looked at the results and today. One lady had a 3:27:27 originally and now she has a 4:02:xx which puts her just outside the BQ window. :/

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hikinggal11 - are you saying you are just starting to run and trying to push a 10 min mile?
    Can you have an easy conversation at the pace you are running without being out of breath?

If not I would suggest:
    1) slow down to where you can have a conversation w/o being out of breath
    2) build time and distance slowly to avoid injury (trying to do too much too soon)
    3) as your body builds endurance you will naturally get faster and then you can also add in some speed work (tempo runs, intervals, etc..)
    4) listen to your body and be sure to rest

On strength training and running - it is good to do both but again initially I would not run on training days and I would try to find at least one day for a full recovery/rest day (no running, no training). Over time you will likely be able to run and train on the same day but it is important to listen to your body and build slowly.

Nope, not new to running, just weight training. I want to run 5 days a week and weight train 3 days a week but can not do them both on the same day......so, I guess the universe is going have to change and provide more than 7 days in a week!

Thank you so much for your reply and ideas!

@hikinggal1 - Given you know what you are doing with the running piece and how to progress there... on the strength training piece I think you can certainly do them on the same days. I started training before I started running and have run 5 days a week and trained 2 for years. I typically train on Tuesday - Thursday in the evening and run in the morning those days. Wednesday is a rest day so Tuesday typically involves more legs than Thursday. It is still important to know your body and make sure you don't over do it and then try to run too far too fast the next day. For example I will change a planned tempo or interval run if I had a tough workout the night before...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    9.4 km up Pats Creek Trail tonight, forgot my watch at home so ran old school - by feel. Nailed it.
    Its about a 200m climb over 4.7 km so a constant grind. A very cold evening with wind funnelling down the valley and I was underdressed in a long sleeve tech shirt, no gloves, no coat-windbreaker.
    Only 3 of us out tonight as most of the group is in recovery after the Victoria Marathon on the weekend. Looks like the Timers had to do some corrections as the times changed from when I first looked at the results and today. One lady had a 3:27:27 originally and now she has a 4:02:xx which puts her just outside the BQ window. :/

exercise.png

That's a significant change. What happened to increase her time by half an hour??
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October goal: a 10k at least once a week

10/1 3.13
    10/2 rest
    10/3 3.20
    10/4 other stuff
    10/5 6.30
    10/6 2.25
    10/7 core training
    10/8 3.31
    10/9 3.05
    10/10 6.26

Total 28.60
    @shanaber Hugs for Hobbs. I like that "cone of shame!" It looks much more comfortable for him than the old plastic type!

Upcoming races:
    Nov. 11, 2018 Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll 10k
    January 4, 2019 Hilo to Volcano Ultra 50k Relay. In memory of @keeprunningfatboy

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    A few spots to fill for the 24 hour Run for Dennis.

Newbies, we're doing a run "round the world" in memory of @KeepRunningFatboy who passed suddenly in August and was a dearly loved and inspirational regular of our MFP Running Challenges.

These are the times for when I start it off this weekend, at Melbourne Marathon, Australia.

6p7fykbssad0.png

This is who is running so far and what hours in the period:
    1. Orphia (8pm GMT Saturday 13th October)
    2. Orphia
    3. Orphia
    4. Orphia
    5. _nikkiwolf_ (8am GMT Sunday 14th)
    6. _nikkiwolf_ (9am GMT Sunday 14th)
    7. B (girlinahat) (10am GMT Sunday 14th)
    8. B (girlinahat) (11am GMT Sunday 14th)
    9. Avidkeo
    10. Marissaxzxzxz (4pm GMT Sunday 14th)

Put your name down!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help with the Run for Dennis, but will be away and unable to commit to a specific time, plus the time I usually run is covered.
    Pretty miserable run this morning for a myriad of reasons, but it got done. The drizzle god took pity on me for the last kilometre and spat on me a tiny bit, enough to cool my face off but not to get anything else wet. Probably a good thing as I didn't have anywhere to put my phone!
    2/10: 6km
    3/10: 3km
    4/10: 6km
    7/10: 8.5km
    9/10: 6.5km
    10/10: 3km
    11/10: 6km
    October goal: 90km, stretch goal: 105km. Completed so far: 39km.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Nope, not new to running, just weight training. I want to run 5 days a week and weight train 3 days a week but can not do them both on the same day......so, I guess the universe is going have to change and provide more than 7 days in a week!

I missed your initial post, I think, so sorry if I miss something. Like which training plans you are following. But your question was how to fit 5 runs & 3 weight days in a week?

I started weight training regularly about half a year ago. If it counts as that - I don't have access to barbells, but I have dumbbells that I can adjust up to 10kg(~20lbs). Not even close to what people lift in gyms, but still enough to feel sore the day after 😉 I'm doing "fitnessblender" exercise videos with them.

I started out with a very detailed plan what to do on which day, after lots of planning. And found out it just stressed me because it wasn't flexible enough. Now my approach is:

- didn't run for 2 days --> run on day 3
    - didn't strength train for 2 days --> strength train on day 3
    - time and energy for both --> do both
    - no "leg day" so shortly before the long run I'm sore (but long run Sunday morning and leg strength in the evening is an option)
    - One day (usually Monday) is a complete rest day

This is how the last 2.5 weeks looked like:

(FBFlex = upper body, e.g. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/get-strong-upper-body-workout-for-strength-with-descending-reps ; FBBooty = lower body, e.g. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/build-a-booty-workout-strength-and-pilates-workout-for-butt-and-thighs )

Mon, 9/24/2018 REST
    Run     Tue, 9/25/2018     Moonrise run     1:13:03     10.30 km 119 m
    Workout     Tue, 9/25/2018     FBFlex 10 (Chest & Triceps)  39:22     0 km     - m
    Workout     Wed, 9/26/2018     FBBooty 12     48:18     0 km     - m
    Workout     Thu, 9/27/2018     FBFlex 15     35:36     0.06 km     - m
    Run     Fri, 9/28/2018     Short but fun trail     47:59     5.27 km     190 m
    Workout Fri, 9/28/2018     Indoor climbing
    Run     Sat, 9/29/2018     Saturday run     1:30:43     12.43 km 129 m
    Workout     Sat, 9/29/2018     FBBooty 15     29:48     0 km     - m
    Workout     Sun, 9/30/2018     FBFlex 17 & FBBooty 17 1:13:25     0 km     - m

Mon, 10/1/2018 REST
    Workout     Tue, 10/2/2018     FBFlex 19 (Biceps & Back)  35:39     0 km     - m
    Run     Wed, 10/3/2018     5x 400m (plus w/u & c/d)     39:23 6.02 km     77 m
    Workout     Wed, 10/3/2018     Indoor climbing
    Run     Thu, 10/4/2018     Late & slow run     38:43     5.08 km     38 m
    Ride     Fri, 10/5/2018     Ride from fountain to fountain to ...  2:01:43     35.91 km     411 m
    Workout     Fri, 10/5/2018     FBBooty 19     1:13:12     0 km     0 m
    Run     Sat, 10/6/2018     Saturday run     49:35     7.01 km     71 m
    Workout     Sat, 10/6/2018     FBFlex 22     37:00     0 km     - m
    Run     Sun, 10/7/2018     Sunday run     1:26:53     12.89 km 131 m
    Workout     Sun, 10/7/2018     FBBooty 22     29:32     0 km     - m

Mon, 10/8/2018 REST
    Workout     Tue, 10/9/2018     FBFlex 24     38:51     0 km     - m
    Run     Tue, 10/9/2018     Short ZR Interval run     27:56     4.01 km     44 m
    Run     Wed, 10/10/2018     Morning run     26:30     4.00 km     60 m
    Run     Wed, 10/10/2018     Run home     42:23     6.26 km     38 m
    Workout     Wed, 10/10/2018     Indoor climbing
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Wish I could help with the Run for Dennis, but will be away and unable to commit to a specific time, plus the time I usually run is covered.
    Pretty miserable run this morning for a myriad of reasons, but it got done. The drizzle god took pity on me for the last kilometre and spat on me a tiny bit, enough to cool my face off but not to get anything else wet. Probably a good thing as I didn't have anywhere to put my phone!

LOL I was just thinking about you because I'm laying in bed, the night before a long run (12k tomorrow), listening to the rain on the roof. Will tomorrow be My first proper run in the rain? I've had one run with some drizzle, or just rain for the last km.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

LOL I was just thinking about you because I'm laying in bed, the night before a long run (12k tomorrow), listening to the rain on the roof. Will tomorrow be My first proper run in the rain? I've had one run with some drizzle, or just rain for the last km.

I would offer to do the rain dance for you (any excuse to skip my strength training this week!) but given my track record that would probably be more of a hindrance than a help lol
    Edit to add: Guess what, it's bloody raining again now!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I would offer to do the rain dance for you (any excuse to skip my strength training this week!) but given my track record that would probably be more of a hindrance than a help lol
    Edit to add: Guess what, it's bloody raining again now!

Bahaha of course! Quick, shoes on then. Do 2k...
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hikinggal11 - are you saying you are just starting to run and trying to push a 10 min mile?
    Can you have an easy conversation at the pace you are running without being out of breath?

If not I would suggest:
    1) slow down to where you can have a conversation w/o being out of breath
    2) build time and distance slowly to avoid injury (trying to do too much too soon)
    3) as your body builds endurance you will naturally get faster and then you can also add in some speed work (tempo runs, intervals, etc..)
    4) listen to your body and be sure to rest

On strength training and running - it is good to do both but again initially I would not run on training days and I would try to find at least one day for a full recovery/rest day (no running, no training). Over time you will likely be able to run and train on the same day but it is important to listen to your body and build slowly.

Why can't you do both on the same day?

My weight training is pretty light, but I tend to do it after my medium/easy runs or on cycling days. I still make sure to have at least one complete rest day per week as well. The principle I've heard and try to follow is "keep your easy days easy, and your hard days hard". I believe there are others on this thread who do more with weight training who can give you pointers on how to balance them in your week, though.