October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - the blue cone in the picture I originally posted is a blow up one similar to the neck pillows people use on long flights. The green one is some kind of playable foam. It wouldn't hurt if it bumped into you or the furniture but would keep him from getting to the stitches.
    @workaholic_nurse - When I first read your post I thought you were running when the tree came down and was trying to figure out what headlight assembly (read as headlamp) was damaged without you getting hurt too - lol! I am so glad the damage wasn't worse and that you were not injured! Awesome rain run and puddle stomping! It always feels so great!
    @7lenny7 - Yay! Welcome back!!

I made it to the gym yesterday and did a mish mash workout of treadmill run (fail), recombinant bike and elliptical. I ran/walked 1 mile on the treadmill and it made my foot too sore so headed to the cycle for 20 mins and another 15 on the elliptical. Coming home I was feeling pretty dejected about it all but it is what it is. If I can I will run/walk the 10k on Sunday and hopefully not have to DNF or DNS it... I do want to get my miles in for Dennis! I am off to training tonight and may try a very short run/walk tomorrow. Have the race expo on Saturday at the beach.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Stormy here today - very blustery and wet, but when I headed out (all amped to run in the rain following everyone's chatter about it here) I only had a few very light drizzly showers. It was an unusually early run for me - 6am - so I ran fasted and without caffeine and my pace reflects this. Fortunately, as I kept reminding myself as I trotted slowly along, I'm on taper so slow is good.

Running challenge
    1 Oct: In bed, dying
    2 Oct: Recovering from near death
    3 Oct 4.6km, realise am still suffering the effects of near-death experience. Yoga too.
    4 Oct: 5.78km
    5 Oct: rest
    6 Oct: yoga
    7 Oct: hungover +gardening
    8 Oct: 20.02km and now to taper
    9 Oct: 5.8km with Miss 6 on her bike.
    10 Oct: yoga
    11 Oct: working
    12 Oct: Thursday 10k, shortened to 9.61 as I had to be out the door at 7:30am.

45.81 of 120km for September.

Upcoming events
    29 October, Auckland Half
    17 November, Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km
    8 December, West Coaster trail relay (10km leg)

Nice. Oh I'm coming to Auckland for a night on the 23rd. Staying in Grafton. suggestions on a nice running track in that area for the morning of the 24th? Was thinking about driving to Mission bay cause I like flat haha. Hows the Domain? I am free till 10am (yay!)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    October Running Totals (miles)

10/1 – rest day
    10/2 – 3.03 recovery run
    10/3 – 5.04 group run
    10/4 – 4.97 warm up, 2 miles @T, cool down
    10/5 – rest day
    10/6 – 8.90 paced run
    10/7 – 6.45 warmup + 6K XC race
    10/8 – rest day
    10/9 – 5.01 warmup + easy XC workout
    10/10 – 5.10 group run
    10/11 – 6.63 easy/tempo/easy

October running total to date – 45.13

Nominal October mileage goal: 150 miles

Real Goals: Recover well from Wineglass. Avoid reinjury. Build volume only to the extent consistent with recovery and injury avoidance.

Today's notes – Daylight has become an issue for evening workouts. I'm retired, so I left home at 4:30 and got to the site by 5. Of course, no one was there. Thought a bit, and started running at 5:06. The stated workout from the club web site was 2 x 10 minutes at T, with 1.5 minutes recovery, then 4 x 100m strides. That seemed a bit much for where I am in marathon recovery, and also looking to a 15K race on Saturday. So I decided 1-2 x 1 mile at T would be good. Ran 2 miles easy, ran a mile at T, backed off. Come the 4 mile mark, I wasn't motivated to speed back up. Wanted 6 to 7 miles, managed to add a pretty loop to get over 6 total, then took the short way back to base to pick up the pre-workout talk.

I missed the talk. Met a new recruit. Saw a handful of folks leave to start the workout, hung around and stretched while one other runner was waiting for her running partner to get there. Felt pretty good doing just one mile at T; the point of Thursday speed work before a weekend race is to remind my body it can run fast, without beating it up so much that it affects energy level on race day.

The mile splits . . . 7:43, 7:32 (oops), 6:41 (right on target for T on roads), 7:36, 7:34, 7:41, and a 7:56 pace for the last fraction of a mile. Looks like I'm naturally falling into MP, and not really slowing down to where easy ought to be. OTOH, the heart rate data looks reasonable for what I was trying to do.

Rest day tomorrow. I'm as prepared for the race on Saturday as I'm going to get. Goal is to win my age group; I just have to see who else in my age group shows up.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 42:21
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY) finished in 20:12
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI) finished in 1:34:42
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Summit Trail Half Marathon (Naples, NY) DNS - injury
    June 17, 2018 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) short course, 18:04 for ~2.9 miles
    June 30, 2018 Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run 5 mile (Victor, NY) 4.89 miles by Garmin, 43:15
    July 14, 2018 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:45:54
    July 28, 2018 Battle at Bristol 10K (Naples, NY) survived in 1:28:33
    August 1, 2018 IEXC 5K #1 (Rochester, NY) finished in 22:17
    August 8, 2018 IEXC 5K #2 (Rochester, NY) finished in 22:10
    August 15, 2018 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 43:11
    August 22, 2018 IEXC 5K #3 (Rochester, NY) finished in 21:59
    August 29, 2018 IEXC 5K #4 (Rochester NY) finished in 22:00
    August 29, 2018 IEXC TDP 1 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 6:07
    August 29, 2018 IEXC TDP 400m (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:14
    September 2, 2018 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:36:41
    September 9, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #1 5K (Newark, NY) 2.9 miles finished in 20:50.9
    September 23, 2018 USATF Masters XC 5K (Buffalo, NY) finished in 20:03
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY to Corning, NY) finished in 3:18:02, PR with negative splits
    October 7, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #2 6K (Akron Falls, NY) finished in 24:41
    October 13, 2018 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 21, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #3 6K (Mendon, NY)
    November 4, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #4 6K (Trumansburg, NY)
    November 11, 2018 Syracuse Half Marathon (Syracuse, NY)
    November 18, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #5 6K (Syracuse, NY)

2019 Races:
    January 5, 2019 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 15, 2019 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA to Boston, MA)

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Stormy here today - very blustery and wet, but when I headed out (all amped to run in the rain following everyone's chatter about it here) I only had a few very light drizzly showers. It was an unusually early run for me - 6am - so I ran fasted and without caffeine and my pace reflects this. Fortunately, as I kept reminding myself as I trotted slowly along, I'm on taper so slow is good.

Running challenge
    1 Oct: In bed, dying
    2 Oct: Recovering from near death
    3 Oct 4.6km, realise am still suffering the effects of near-death experience. Yoga too.
    4 Oct: 5.78km
    5 Oct: rest
    6 Oct: yoga
    7 Oct: hungover +gardening
    8 Oct: 20.02km and now to taper
    9 Oct: 5.8km with Miss 6 on her bike.
    10 Oct: yoga
    11 Oct: working
    12 Oct: Thursday 10k, shortened to 9.61 as I had to be out the door at 7:30am.

45.81 of 120km for September.

Upcoming events
    29 October, Auckland Half
    17 November, Xterra Trail Challenge Waihi 20.5km
    8 December, West Coaster trail relay (10km leg)

Nice. Oh I'm coming to Auckland for a night on the 23rd. Staying in Grafton. suggestions on a nice running track in that area for the morning of the 24th? Was thinking about driving to Mission bay cause I like flat haha. Hows the Domain? I am free till 10am (yay!)

Fab. It would be good if we could meet for a run. I could probably get to the Domain by 9-9:30 (traffic). It has a lovely little loop but it's not flat - it's essentially a big hill with a museum (and hospital) on top. If you want flat we could run along the waterfront - Mechanics Bay is closer than Mission Bay as a start point. You choose!
  • bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So I signed up on the spreadsheet for hour 23. Don't know how to add my name to the list.
    Edit: corrected the hour. Need to get more sleep, obviously
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Fab. It would be good if we could meet for a run. I could probably get to the Domain by 9-9:30 (traffic). It has a lovely little loop but it's not flat - it's essentially a big hill with a museum (and hospital) on top. If you want flat we could run along the waterfront - Mechanics Bay is closer than Mission Bay as a start point. You choose!

That would be awesome, I would love to meet for a run. I've literally just realised my 10 am meeting is a photoshoot (Auckland Uni is doing a profile on me woo hoo). bahaha, so probably need to push my run to the afternoon before I head home, or just do a good walk. I stay red for AGES after a run, and that would look awful! Are you free at all any other time during the day?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options

That would be awesome, I would love to meet for a run. I've literally just realised my 10 am meeting is a photoshoot (Auckland Uni is doing a profile on me woo hoo). bahaha, so probably need to push my run to the afternoon before I head home, or just do a good walk. I stay red for AGES after a run, and that would look awful! Are you free at all any other time during the day?

That actually could be better - getting into the city before nine is painful. I am free until 2pm before I pick the munchkins up from kindy and school - will that work? Alternatively, if you're heading north at around 1-1:30, you could travel via SH16 and swing by for a run round my local if you like... (I'll let you use my shower!)
  • Avidkeo
    Options

That actually could be better - getting into the city before nine is painful. I am free until 2pm before I pick the munchkins up from kindy and school - will that work? Alternatively, if you're heading north at around 1-1:30, you could travel via SH16 and swing by for a run round my local if you like... (I'll let you use my shower!)

could try for 1, I will hopefully be over by then. can sort out closer to the time. Woo hoo! your going to kick my butt bahaha