October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @noblsheep , @Scott6255 , @garygse , @LaDispute57 Miles for Dennis - Would one of you be able to pick-up that 2 hour block hours 5 & 6 between Carol and @HonuNui . I have put myself in for the 3 hour gap after @HonuNui which has me starting at 2300 local time - running in the dark like an Ultra Runner. It's a good thing I know all the RCMP ( Police Officers ) in town so I can give them a warning. Planning to run until I have 26.2 km. Water stash at each end of the park trails.

@juliet3455 I wish I could, but I am committed to other life tasks during those hours. The best I can do is what I have signed up for, which is hours 16-18 or GMT 1200-1400 or 0700-0900 CDT (however you want to look at it).
    But I agree, it sure would be great to get those last 2 hour gaps filled. Hopefully someone can work that into their schedule!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    I took my name off the Miles for Dennis slot that I had at 8am Pacific - 1500 GMT. If someone else can run that 30 mins that would be awesome! I am still hoping to get out and do something even if it is just a little walk.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @biketheworld - My motivation with strength training is seeing my arms, shoulders, etc. get toned with great muscle definition. I also love being strong. It really surprises people when you are older and can do things unexpectedly and I want to continue being able to do all the things! The fact that it also helps support my running is a side benefit. But then I also started strength training before I started running. Would your husband join you in the basement and maybe workout too or even just help spot you and keep you company?
    @zeesparrow - Thanks! Hobbes is 6 but you wouldn't know it. Most people think he is a puppy because he acts so goofy.
    @BruinsGal_91 - posh seats to a Bruins game vs treadmill.... don't think that is a hard choice, ever! Hope it was a great game too!
    @MegaMooseEsq - buying a house is stressful!! Hope Bowie is doing ok too! They worm their way right into your heart! {{hugs}} to you as well!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber so sorry to hear about Hobbes!! Prayers that they got everything!
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @noblsheep , @Scott6255 , @garygse , @LaDispute57 Miles for Dennis - Would one of you be able to pick-up that 2 hour block hours 5 & 6 between Carol and @HonuNui . I have put myself in for the 3 hour gap after @HonuNui which has me starting at 2300 local time - running in the dark like an Ultra Runner. It's a good thing I know all the RCMP ( Police Officers ) in town so I can give them a warning. Planning to run until I have 26.2 km. Water stash at each end of the park trails.

@juliet3455 I wish I could, but I am committed to other life tasks during those hours. The best I can do is what I have signed up for, which is hours 16-18 or GMT 1200-1400 or 0700-0900 CDT (however you want to look at it).
    But I agree, it sure would be great to get those last 2 hour gaps filled. Hopefully someone can work that into their schedule!

@juliet3455 and @scott6255 I looked at the spreadsheet and just got confused. The block that needs filling...when is it? If I did my math right it's GMT 0100-0300, which is 8pm-10pm CDT, correct? Is that Saturday or Sunday in the US?

@jele30 yeah, that water was ice cold too! Thankfully I had great socks for wet feet, DryMax trail socks, and it didn't really bother me. Splashing through the water was such a throwback to childhood that I couldn't help but laugh the entire time through there.

@BruinsGal_91 I would have definitely skipped my run for those seats!

@mbaker566 I love running in Milwaukee! I've run the lake front a few times and ran up and down the Milwaukee River as well. My son goes to Marquette and I always bring my running gear with me when we visit. If I'm driving alone, I'll usually stop south of Delafield to run the Ice Age Trail. There are several trail races near MKE that I've got my eye on. I was going to enter a 60 mile race on the IAT in January (The Frozen Otter) but decided that I probably wouldn't be ready for that.

@MegaMooseEsq with your race line up this winter you're going to have to run in the winter this year! The other paved race I always hit is a little 5K our church puts on in September to benefit homeless teens. It's the Outrun Homelessness 5K in Savage. The course is nothing special, but it's only 2 miles from my house, it's for a great cause, and the gal who directs the races is a wonderful person. I think the paved 5K I enjoyed the most is the Torchlight 5K in July as part of the Aquatennial. The first half of the course is packed with spectators (waiting for the Torchlight Parade) which is a lot of fun, and it's a great downtown course. Down plan on a PR though, because the course is packed with runners. It's also fun to do an evening race. My very top recommendation for a race the Twin Cities, though, is one of the Endless Summer Trail Race series races. They have four races each summer in Hyland Park (4 Mi), Lebanon Hills (10K and 7 Mi) and French Regional Park (5K). All of them are on easy trails...nothing technical and no huge hills. They're only $25 each. No shirt but hey include beer and pizza at the finish. I don't run them any more because I have a blast volunteering instead. By far the best races in the TC.

• Scott6255
    edited October 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 and @scott6255 I looked at the spreadsheet and just got confused. The block that needs filling...when is it? If I did my math right it's GMT 0100-0300, which is 8pm-10pm CDT, correct? Is that Saturday or Sunday in the US?

Yes, that is the block that needs filling. Also looks like we need a sub for poor @shanaber , which is GMT 1500 / 8am Pacific / 10am Central / 11am Eastern.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, that is the block that needs filling. Also looks like we need a sub for poor @shanaber , which is GMT 1500 / 8am Pacific / 10am Central / 11am Eastern.

Saturday or Sunday (US)?

Saturday I'm running from 9am to 11am, Central if that helps fill @shanaber 's spot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 i've been looking at tbunk, or fall 50 but not ready. at all. so i'll make those a goal for next year
  • shanaber
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Did anyone else see this? I can't imagine getting run down by a deer, attended to by paramedics and finishing the HM! ETC - not a PR but only 10 mins off hr goal time.
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/runner-finishes-marathon-even-after-deer-knocks-her-down/
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @7lenny7 Yeah, it wasn't a tough decision to make. And it was a pretty good game too. I do like unexpected treats like this.

Hugs to Hobbes the viszla. I usually see three viszlas when I'm having my lunchtime stroll, and in my head they're all called Hobbes.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If someone translates those empty timeslots into Edmonton, Alberta time I can probably do one or the other. I am at work and can't fiddle with the calculators right now. I'm good for about 30 minutes max and I won't get very far!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 11.84miles
    10/2 8miles
    10/3 5miles
    10/4 rest
    10/5 5miles
    10/6 rest
    10/7 13.1race! Crawlin Crab Half Marathon
    10/8 4miles
    10/9 9miles
    10/10 16miles
    10/11 4miles
    10/12 9miles

I was dragging yesterday so I decided to push my 9mile run to today. I did 4 miles yesterday and it was the struggle bus the whole time. I was even sure I should call it a run I did so much walking.

The upside of procrastinating my 9 miler was that today was gorgeous. A bit windy, but cool and sunny and low humidity.

Michael came through during the night and the winds woke my up around midnight. I thought my house was going to blow over and I couldn’t fall back asleep because I just kept imagining our patio furniture blowing around the neighborhood.... I finally fell asleep when the storm finally blew through.

Thankfully no damage. Our grill blew over and one patio chair tipped over. My jalapeños suffered the most. They were all laying down. I propped them back up. Hopefully they survive.

I’m over 100 posts behind! Time to go catch up!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon

10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
    12/2/2018 Busch Gardens Christmas Town Dash 8K
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Did anyone else see this? I can't imagine getting run down by a deer, attended to by paramedics and finishing the HM! ETC - not a PR but only 10 mins off hr goal time.
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/runner-finishes-marathon-even-after-deer-knocks-her-down/

@shanaber I think I would have done the same thing in this circumstance. Legs were not broken, maybe bruised, but with only a few miles to go? Yes, I would finish it.

OTOH if the antlers had punctured my chest and I had a sucking chest wound with only a few miles to go... depends on how I felt, I guess. If the paramedics had one of those auto-venting patches, I might ask for that and have them meet me after the finish to get to the hospital. If not, I know how to improvise a patch with materials they definitely have and vent it myself. But if I felt really bad, I think I might skip the last few miles. In the case of a bad pneumothorax injury (such as if the deer trampled my chest), I probably would not be able to finish.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i didn't see that one but i saw the mountain bikers
  • Scott6255
    Options

Saturday or Sunday (US)?

Saturday I'm running from 9am to 11am, Central if that helps fill @shanaber 's spot.

Oh sorry @7lenny7 . That is Sunday (US).
  • shanaber
    Options
    @shanaber @7lenny7 Yeah, it wasn't a tough decision to make. And it was a pretty good game too. I do like unexpected treats like this.

Hugs to Hobbes the viszla. I usually see three viszlas when I'm having my lunchtime stroll, and in my head they're all called Hobbes.
    @BruinsGal_91 - this made me laugh!
    @midwesterner85 - I don't think I was surprised she got up and finished with just 3 miles to go but that she was able to keep up her pace. She had to be sore and bruised at least!
    @mbaker566 - that is a brutal hit! Wow! So glad he had a helmet on, although you'd never expect to need it in case of a deer attack!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@shanaber I think I would have done the same thing in this circumstance. Legs were not broken, maybe bruised, but with only a few miles to go? Yes, I would finish it.

Yeah, it all depends on the injuries. The article does not say how bad she was hurt, but it sounds more like surprise than any physical harm. In that case, I definitely would have finished. Broken legs would stop me though, probably.

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Heading to Chicago for school for the weekend. It will be intense, but I hope to get in at least one run and some good food.

I'm on track for the month so far.

October Goal: 100 miles
    10/1: planned rest day
    10/2: 4.5 miles
    10/3: 9 miles
    10/4: 5.5 miles
    10/5: 7 miles
    10/6: cross train ditched for rest
    10/7: 3 miles
    10/8: planned rest
    10/9: rest until cleared by NP
    10/10: 10 miles
    10/11: 7 miles
    10/12: 5 miles
    Total: 51 miles

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Scotts reply covers it.
    @sarahthes I use this World Clock when trying to figure out schedules and when I can Phone people without waking them up.