October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Sadly I can't take the spots because I'm home alone with the kids.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 and @scott6255 I looked at the spreadsheet and just got confused. The block that needs filling...when is it? If I did my math right it's GMT 0100-0300, which is 8pm-10pm CDT, correct? Is that Saturday or Sunday in the US?

Yes, that is the block that needs filling. Also looks like we need a sub for poor @shanaber , which is GMT 1500 / 8am Pacific / 10am Central / 11am Eastern.

Saturday or Sunday (US)?

Saturday I'm running from 9am to 11am, Central if that helps fill @shanaber 's spot.

Oh sorry @7lenny7 . That is Sunday (US).

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't help. I'll be working on the boat during the day and have to wait to run until I get home so I run with Kody. I'm getting him in shape for pheasant hunting next month.

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Today I got to run 5.2 sort of painful but still very welcome miles. I felt kind of tense most of the run, which I think was mainly the cold - low 30s and mostly cloudy, which around here is mild winter weather. Not that I don’t also have lots of stress in my life right now. I’ve also been having some pain in my right calf, nothing regular or too bad but enough that I went for the pickles as soon as I got home. I’ve skipped my strength training for a week and a half now so I really need to at least get the prehab exercises in.

I’m making progress on my cold weather gear learning experience - I think that I needed a base layer under the long-sleeve shirt as I ended up feeling kind of clammy, especially around the elbows and armpits, but once again the windbreaker proved its worth. I actually took it off briefly towards the end of the run for comparison and yeah, that wind off the lake cut right through the long-sleeve shirt. I was a little concerned about not getting much use out of it, but I could actually see it being a regular part of my gear with the right layers underneath, at least until we get down another 10-15 degrees.

aqmvp1ufbh6v.jpg

I'd probably be better off with more breathable hand- and head-gear, as I got kind of sweaty and ended up taking my gloves off halfway through the run, but that's manageable for now. So far so good on socks - my toes were a little cold for the first couple of miles but warmed up just fine by mid-run.

I think I’m going to shift to mid-day runs for the foreseeable future - I like the idea of getting a little sun whenever possible (just a bit today at the end of the run but it was very nice) and running in the dark is kind of a drag. I’d been worried about motivation but I think at this point I’m pretty firmly hooked on running, so as long as I’m starting to work earlier in the day to balance out the longer mid-day break, I’ll be fine. Flexibility is very good right now.

@7lenny7: The races I've listed in italics are still under consideration, but I definitely want to run this winter! I’m just pretty sure I’d want to dial back after the half even if the weather wasn’t getting cold - my long run has been taking around 2.5 hours and that’s getting to be a bit much. I’ve been looking at the Hal Higdon intermediate 10K program and that looks like about the right amount of running. I'd like to move back to lifting heavy three days a week for at least 2-3 months and maybe add in an agility or plyo cross-training day. Also we're trying to buy a house and have a baby, NBD.

I’ve heard good things about the Torchlight 5K. I’m not sure that I love the 5K distance or the really large events, but I like the idea of running the big local races at least once. I did Red White and Boom this year, so maybe Torchlight would be a good one for next year. Also, I love the sound of those ESTRS-es and made a note on my calendar to check back in December for updated info. I’ve never done any trail running and that sounds like a great way to dip the toe in.

OCTOBER MILES:
    10/1 Mo - rest
    10/2 Tu - 1:11:20 - 6.54 meandering and cold
    10/3 We - 0:20:06 - 1.94 zippy after lifting
    10/4 Th - 0:45:37 - 4.33 medium effort
    10/5 Fr - rest
    10/6 Sa - Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K - Chip time: 1:05:14
    10/7 Su - “rest” volunteering at TCM gear check
    10/8 Mo - rest
    10/9 Tu - 1:09:53 - 6.54 improving my cold weather game
    10/10 We - 0:40:00 - 3.60 numbers approximate (workout accidentally turned off)
    10/11 Th - rest
    10/12 Fr - 0:56:36 - 5.20 medium effort sort of painful

October Total: 34.49/85 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K Chip time: 1:05:14
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon
    November 24: Mustache Run 10K
    December 8: Reindeer Run 10K or 15K (leaning 15K)
    January 5: Polar Dash 10K
    January 26: Securian/Winter Carnival 10K
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse - Yikes! Sounds like you need a run tonight! {{hugs}}
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @workaholic_nurse - Yikes! Sounds like you need a run tonight! {{hugs}}

Thank you @shanaber :) need but will be dark by the time I get home and have 10 miler in the morning, it will have to hold me...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Beautiful fall weather, great for running. Which I'm not doing. Just enough humidity in the air that the grass doesn't dry off enough to make me mow it. There's an off chance I'm done mowing for the year.

I'm glad to see the 24 hours for Dennis is getting filled. I feel a bit bad about not covering anything, but my schedule Sunday is just too chaotic to predict a specific running time.

15K race tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. Forecast has been pretty stable; currently calls for 43º F at gun time, but down to 80% chance of rain. I look forward to telling a bunch of whiners they should have been running in Boston last April. Probably won't happen; major league whiners will DNS this one.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 and @scott6255 I looked at the spreadsheet and just got confused. The block that needs filling...when is it? If I did my math right it's GMT 0100-0300, which is 8pm-10pm CDT, correct? Is that Saturday or Sunday in the US?

Yes, that is the block that needs filling. Also looks like we need a sub for poor @shanaber , which is GMT 1500 / 8am Pacific / 10am Central / 11am Eastern.

I’m scheduled to run on Sunday at 6 am Eastern time but so is @workaholic_nurse. Jeremiah if you still plan to run at 6 am I will take the 11 am Eastern time slot.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I can take @shanaber 8 am Sunday. I am still in the pacific and should be able to get out at that time.

10/1 5 miles
    10/6 3.19 miles
    10/10 3 miles
    10/12 3 miles

Total 14.19 /80 miles

Another slow run. In the midafternoon! It was warm but I'll take that over 120 highs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    4.01 miles treadmill tonight.

exercise.png
  • bubblegum2fitness
    bubblegum2fitness Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @garygse If you want slot 6, I could do slot 5. I just know I couldn't do 2 hours.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I took the 8 am slot earlier today. Sorry to hear about your ankle. More hugs to Hobbes. I have to wait till Thursday for my pathology results. It takes so long.

Welcome back @7lenny7

Have a great time officiating the wedding @ PastorVincent

I caught up on the posts! I caught a cold and am feeling miserable. I tried to talk myself out of bed and into running every morning, but it never happened. I will definitely do it for Dennis on Sunday though.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @bubblegum2fitness Slot 6 is just half an hour, if I'm reading things correctly. I don't mind running an hour or two...it's just up to the family if there's some last-minute thing that they suddenly want to do, or we end up spending time at my in-laws...this type of unplanned stuff crops up at weekends, so I can't say for sure that I'll be running. As I said, I'll try, but no promises.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @garygse what slot is needing filling? It turns out that I can start my boat work earlier than I thought and will have time available Sunday morning. I could take up to an hour.

ETA: it looks like the open slots, 5 & 6, are Saturday night 8pm to 10 pm central time, which I can't do.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi all. I was going to do some strength training but decided to have today as a total rest day asy calves are starting to complain a bit. And I'm really glad I did. End of the day and despite doing over 10k steps running around after small children my calves are not complaining. Tomorrow is a rest day from running but I'm tempted to do a fitness 1000 calorie workout. They are a combination of HIIT, total body strength and abs. I've done a couple of them and they are an awesome challenge to do from time to time. I feel like I could use the challenge haha. Also need the stress relief.

I'll have another look at the empty slots and see if there is an evening run my time I could do before I set my heart of tomorrows workout. ETA the only empty slots are in the middle of the day for me damn.sorry guys
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry @RunsonEspresso I didn’t realize you had taken the 8am spot in here. I will take my name off the spreadsheet then.