Lose weight = looking older??

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I keep thinking this over and wondering: Why is it a problem to look older, especially when the concomitant effects are feeling younger, being healthier, creating a higher likelihood of living longer in independence and good health, being a better example of health and agency for those we love, and so many more positive things? (Rhetorical question, BTW, no need to answer.)

I understand that youthful appearance is a goal for many, but for myself I don't really get it. People say older women are more likely to be ignored, get worse service in businesses, etc. I very rarely see this . . . and believe me, when I do, I know how to make myself un-ignored pretty darned quickly.

Yeah, much-younger guys don't hit on me. I think it would be icky if they did, speaking only for myself. Guys my own age don't hit on me much, either, but that's fine: If a few wrinkles put them off, I don't need them in my life, because they're *baby-feline*heads. (IRL, I think my personality puts off more people than my appearance, actually. ;) ).

I'd also add this, to people worrying about loose facial/neck skin at goal weight: Keep in mind that it can keep shrinking for a long time in maintenance, if it's true loose skin (thin wrinkles, not residual squish-y fat areas). Also, glycogen replenishment will create appearance improvements as well. I think my face/neck look better in year 3 of maintenance than they did in the first weeks at goal.

The youth-glorifying and youth-seeking in our culture really annoys me sometimes. Aging is good. Consider the actual alternative.

JMO.

Hear Hear!

Wrinkles and scars are badges of honor, so why would you hide these or attempt to minimize them?

Does society truly want to esteem aesthetics over wisdom? Are we prepared for the consequences of this?

Not everyone feels scars and wrinkles are badges of honor. My wrinkles I'm meh about. My scars are daily, constant reminders of the worst places I've been. I don't want to remember how shizzle my life is/was. I want to forget.

Sorry for being a b*tch about that, but it really irritates me to be told I should be proud of my scars because "you've been through so much" or "look at what you lived through".

I'm with you on this. Equally irritating is when people say, well your husband loves you the way you are, as if that were the only thing that mattered.
  • dmz1983
    dmz1983 Posts: 32 Member
    I look older when I loose weight. I think it's more pronounced as you age. You loose the volume in your face so you tend to look more haggard/hollow/tired etc. I recently put on a few pounds and had a lot of complements about how good I looked-that my face looked like I had more color.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hi all,

I have to say I think I look older now than when I was heavier, less fat to puff out the wrinkles I suppose! (I'm 49). I choose being slim and healthy so if a side effect is looking a bit older that's just how it has to be.

I have noticed from the majority of the before/after photos hardly anyone looks younger with weight off (unless they are young of course!).

Anyway, just putting this out there for opinions/thoughts.

Ruth

Doesn't change for me. When I got to goal at age 40 I was constantly told I looked in my early 20s. I still get told I look like I'm in my 20s and right now I'm at 155 lbs and just turned 50 years old. Just started back. I look young because of my genes not how much weight I have on me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    well I can say one plus of getting older Im losing my belly fat so not going to complain there lol
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    Just turned 50...I have lost about 25 lbs since April. I am 5'4" and was 181 at the end of March..now I am 155. I think I will at the most lose another 5 lbs...my initial goal was to get to 145 however I think to be at 5 or 10 lbs overweight is not that big of a deal and you can still have a half decent figure as well as be in shape.

I remember seeing a girl I used to work with a few years back after not seeing her for about a year and she is about 1 year older than me and she lost a lot of weight and onething that stands out in my mind was how her face aged...I remember thinking wow she looks like she is 10 years older.

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited October 2018
    I knew a woman in her 70s who dropped about 50 pounds in late middle age. She then kept herself intentionally underweight in a super model sort of way so she looked chic in her herringbone ensembles. Her facial bone structure was severe and her hair was pure white and gathered in an elegant chignon. She was ruthless and androgenous looking and it was exciting to be around her. Her neck was stringy but not turkeyesque. I think that fact lent to her commanding presence.