October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    This morning I signed up for my first destination race. The Tillamook Burn 50 Mile in the Pacific NW rainforest about an hour northwest of Portland, OR. You can scroll through some amazing photos here.

I was trying to decide between the 50K and the 50M. The 50K has 7000' of vertical (ascent & descent) whereas the 50M has 8700', the difference being 1700' over 19 miles, which is fairly flat, so for the extra runable miles, why not! I am so dang excited about this! My sister and her husband live just outside of Portland so we'll stay with them and maybe I'll even talk them into crewing for me.

The race is the end of April which, incidentally, is just 2 weeks after the Zumbro 50, the race I DNF'd earlier this year.

@7lenny7 - that is such a beautiful area! We were just there last month. You will have to stop by Tillamook and get some ice cream and cheese after the race! I don't want to run an Ultra but I would love running some of those trails!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Welcome @invisibleman53 - we have a running challenge every month so joins us when you can or want! Awesome job on the 52 marathons! That's a lot of running!
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    October 1 - Holidays
    October 2 - Holidays
    October 3 - Holidays
    October 4 - Holidays
    October 5 - Holidays
    October 6 - Holidays
    October 7 - Holidays
    October 8 - 5 km run in Destin, Florida
    October 9 - Traveling home
    October 10 - Traveling home
    October 15 - 14 km run

Total distance run 19 km - goal 140 km.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

As for my training plan, yep it does. its the beginner plan from Cool Running (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml) that I converted to km. probably actually only 19.5km but I have pretty much rounded up all the halves. I dont mind doing 20k 2 weeks before the actual event, because then I KNOW Ill be able to do it, and ill have a good idea of my final time. I'm planning to run it like my race, first 10k slow and steady - aiming for 6:15 min/km, then 8k slightly faster - say around 5:45 min/km and the last 3km as fast as I can maintain so probably 5:30 with a decent 5:15 to finish. Well thats the aim... will see what actually happens bahaha

ETA I just looked at the plan again - it says 12 miles, which converts to 19.3km. hmmmm maybe i should just stick with the 19k.

I have to say, I've really liked this plan. it says its for people aiming to run the half in around 2 hours. When I first started, I was thinking 2.5hrs, then slowly I progressed and started thinking 2:15. Now I genuinely think I may be able to do it in or just over 2hrs. So I think for me this plan has been perfect.

After this, Ill pick up their intermediate plan which aims for 1:45hrs.

Hmm, I will look into that one for next time round. (Oh my gawd listen to me..... 'next time round'!). I'm using the Hal Higdon novice 1 which is very nice and beginner friendly (that's what I was looking for at the time) but seems to be very low mileage and kinda lightweight. It goes for the 'if you can run 10 miles you can run 13.1' and the longest run is 16km the Sunday before the race. Probably a good job I've settled for a run 9 minute, walk 1 minute system for now, I am really slow compared to you (like my training runs average 7'36 or so per km) and my only goals are to finish before then 3 hour cut off and upright!

Your doing 16k 7 days before the event?? I am still very much a novice but that doesn't seem like enough time for a taper. I'm sure someone else will comment on that one though. When is your race? And nothing wrong at all with run/walk! You do you and I'm sure you will be brilliant!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    ETA I just looked at the plan again - it says 12 miles, which converts to 19.3km. hmmmm maybe i should just stick with the 19k.

If it was me, I would run 20k... #justsaying ;)

I know there's an element of humor here, but for the newbies reading this... If the HM is a new distance for you, 16 or 19.3 will be just fine and probably the wisest option. Pastor Vincent has run full marathons and a 50k, so 20 or 22k is not going to be the same for him as it is for people just building up to the distance. There's no need to beat yourself up 2 weeks before the race ;)

LOL yep very true. I feel pretty confident in doing 20k at this point, because I'm. Doing 16k this weekend. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't - though check in with me after Saturday, 16k will be my longest to date.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Your doing 16k 7 days before the event?? I am still very much a novice but that doesn't seem like enough time for a taper. I'm sure someone else will comment on that one though. When is your race? And nothing wrong at all with run/walk! You do you and I'm sure you will be brilliant!

I know, it does seem a bit extreme doesn't it.... I did umm and ahh about it before I started, but everyone I queried it with pointed out the distances decrease a lot in that last week. It goes Sunday 16k, Monday rest, Tuesday 6k, Wednesday 5k, Thursday 3k, Friday & Saturday rest, Sunday HM. It's Hal Higdon, the guy supposedly knows what he's doing? (I hope!!! lol)
    Race is December 9th, just under 8 weeks to go.
    All my runs seem to be rough atm, life isn't allowing me anywhere near enough sleep to feel human and there's a lot of family and work related cr@p in the mix. So yet again, plan called for 6.5km today, got them done but they weren't particularly pretty. First 2.5 km were nasty, then I found my happy place for about 1.5 km before my leg started randomly hurting making the final 2.5 km rough again. Not 'can't stand on it pain' but felt like my calf muscle was really really tight and on the verge of cramping up, and made my knee and ankle sore too. Walked about a kilometre then came home and stretched it out before showering and slapped half a tube of Fisiocrem on it .... that seems to have calmed it down for now. Really hope it's just a tight muscle thing. Or I tried a new stretching routine yesterday that I didn't really like, weird minute long stretches that felt nasty rather than nice. Maybe to do with that. Won't be doing that one again! Looking at my run logs, last week was also the most km I'd ever done in a week. Before we went on holiday I had got up to 23km, last week was 24.5. This week is 26, then there's an easy week before it jumps to 30. That's really going to hurt :-/ And all this brings me back to my concerns that this is a really low mileage plan and it's going to be tough as hell. Still, it is my first. For next time I'll have this base to continue working on. As long as I survive it, that is lol

2/10: 6km
    3/10: 3km
    4/10: 6km
    7/10: 8.5km
    9/10: 6.5km
    10/10: 3km
    11/10: 6km
    14/10: 9km
    16/10: 6.5km
    October goal: 90km, stretch goal: 105km. Completed so far: 54.5km.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

I know, it does seem a bit extreme doesn't it.... I did umm and ahh about it before I started, but everyone I queried it with pointed out the distances decrease a lot in that last week. It goes Sunday 16k, Monday rest, Tuesday 6k, Wednesday 5k, Thursday 3k, Friday & Saturday rest, Sunday HM. It's Hal Higdon, the guy supposedly knows what he's doing? (I hope!!! lol)

It's a beginner plan, so the goal is to safely get you to a point where you can cover the distance. Hal Higdon's plans seem pretty solid, and I think you've picked an appropriate one for you, for this particular race :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

It's a beginner plan, so the goal is to safely get you to a point where you can cover the distance. Hal Higdon's plans seem pretty solid, and I think you've picked an appropriate one for you, for this particular race :)

Thanks, yes it's his Novice 1 plan (which I mentally translate to 'total noob' plan). My only goals for this are to finish within the nice 3-hour time limit, upright and hopefully with all teeth and limbs in place. Stretch goal will be to finish with a smile on my face too lol! I will be fine, and I will achieve them, just every now and then that self-doubt kicks in for a few minutes :-)
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Sept Goal: 50 Miles
    Sept Total: 55.51 Miles

Oct Goal: 65 miles

10/02 - 6.28 miles
    10/07 - 6.6 miles
    10/09 - 4.0 miles
    10/13 - 6.4 miles
    10/15 - 4.1 miles

Total - 27.38 miles

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 - so sorry about the car being totaled and all the stress of it. Hope it works out. The good news is you weren't hurt and you can run! The dog pics are adorable!

Awesome 4.5 for me this morning. Mile one was awful. I kept thinking what am I doing? Who said you could run? Are you crazy? Then mile 2 was better, mile 3 was great and mile 4 I thought... hmmmm... I could just keep going and going at this nice slow pace, maybe I can call in sick? Nah, too busy.

10/1 - Transform App- Upper body
    10/2 - 4 miles + TA W3 Legs
    10/3 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper Body
    10/4 - TA W4 Legs
    10/5 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper
    10/6 - 4 miles in Tampa
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 4 miles + Transform - Arms/Back
    10/9 - Transform App - Legs/Glutes
    10/10 - 3 miles
    10/11 - Transform App - Back/Arms
    10/12 - tried to run but glute pain, walked 2 miles
    10/13 - 4 miles + transform upper body
    10/14 - 4 miles!
    10/15 - Transform App - chest, arms
    10/16 - 4.5 miles

exercise.png

• eleanorhawkins
    Options

If it was me, I would run 20k... #justsaying ;)

I know there's an element of humor here, but for the newbies reading this... If the HM is a new distance for you, 16 or 19.3 will be just fine and probably the wisest option. Pastor Vincent has run full marathons and a 50k, so 20 or 22k is not going to be the same for him as it is for people just building up to the distance. There's no need to beat yourself up 2 weeks before the race ;)

We were comparing a 19.3 K to 20 K. That is only 700meters difference. That is not even a 1/2 mile. So yes, I, in fact, would suggest to a new runner they push themselves a bit and go for 20k. You can always stop at 19.7 or whatever if it turned out to be too much, but pushing that last little bit is great training for race day, for when you think you have nothing left but you can see the finish line. That is when that extra 700 meters of push will come to play.

As a newbie runner, I must say I agree with this completely. I recently ran a 5k that was actually about 5.8km. To top it off, it was in the evening and came to a roundabout around the 5 kilometre mark from which you could see the finish line, all lit up and shiny and oasis-like. Then they had us veer off to the left and do another 8oo metres or so round the marina. It was only 800 metres, but there were literally people (who looked to my inexperienced eye at least like it wasn't their first run) who were giving up and not just walking but literally stopping and sitting down. Less than a kilometre seems like nothing, but our brains are funny things and I truly believe that saying that runners' minds often give up before their legs do. What I'm trying to say, in a roundabout way, is that I agree the confidence boost those extra few hundred metres would give far outweigh the slight increase in physical exertion.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    Now sprawled on the sofa watching Finding Traction, a documentary about Nikki Kimball's attempt to break the record for running the Vermont Long Trail.

Just finished watching this. Thank you for mentioning it.

@zeesparrow "Made to be Broken" is also available on Netflix and well worth watching. About those crazy people who run the Appalachian Trail. Someone on here recommended it, and it's really good.