The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    I'm the only one who reads "as f**k" every time I see AF? He he he! Good morning, all. :)

Ha ha. Now I probably will be!
  • salleewins
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm the only one who reads "as f**k" every time I see AF? He he he! Good morning, all. :)

Sometimes haha :D@salleewins ,that's a great post and I understand getting rid of the old friends,surroundings,etc from the drink days,I get it and do it but sometimes it feels like I've eliminated almost everything! Like I'm scared to go anywhere cuz I might be tempted,also I can't be so strict on myself with smoking and the eating cuz I'm just not "there" yet with those things I guess,have a great day all! <3

It gets easier overall. I was scared in the beginning like that, too. Now I can drive past the liquor stores and mostly feel annoyed that they are there trying to "ruin" ha ha my day and I can go into places 2 doors down from those stores as well. Sometimes I forget they are around. Other times like this holiday season fast approaching it is on my mind where I am in relation to these stores. I went into a gas station the other day and I would not go near the beer aisle. Depends how vulnerable I feel. I used to stay home as well in the beginning just until I got it together. I have had to eliminate a client from work, just to not be asked what kind of drink do I like and what I want for a drink from her teenage kids, when she started hosting teenage drinking parties. Bye bye. I need a good life. I have already been through a lot in life and some of it my doing with this drinking response to the stress.

Have a good day all!!
  • salleewins
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also I have picked up new hobbies and began old hobbies again in a fresh way to help with the replacement of space alcohol took. I have the energy to do these things most of the time. I am making new friends and trying new things as well. Many things I do on my own, if I invite people and they can't go. Before I would not go as I was scared and self conscious. Lately I am doing library events and hitting knitting stores to learn how to knit a dress to wear when I reach my goal. Some cool fashion out there now to knit. I haven't knitted a lot, so this is a new adventure. It has been scary, but I am usually proud of myself somehow for moving ahead. One of my goals is to try parasailing once I have reached my weight goal. My esteem of myself is increasing and I am gaining confidence. Beats drinking to forget and lying blacked out finally every day. Now I cry if I need to, talk it out and for me, pray in order to figure out all my life one day at a time. Creating good fun!!
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ^^ thank you for sharing this. I really needed to read some inspiration.
  • Bellavita32
    Bellavita32 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My test of sobriety will come this Saturday.. Going out with a few couple's.. I'm sure I will want a glass of wine..
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »

Was that inspiring? Um, that's good! After I posted it ... I coulnd't figure out why and I'm kind of embarrassed... so thanks for saying thanks. :)
  • joha5603
    Options
    My test of sobriety will come this Saturday.. Going out with a few couple's.. I'm sure I will want a glass of wine..

Try to hold off! Maybe cheesecake instead? Lol... maybe the same caloric content (but IDK, I'm not a fan of calorie counting). Maybe a brisk walk to a local boutique? Maybe a brisk walk to the ladies room where you can spend a few minutes centering yourself and gathering your strength.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hardest day yet today.

Had a big problem at work and I just wanted so bad to come home and drink and sleep.

9 p.m. extremely difficult even now. Feeling very low.

Thanks for letting me vent
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options

Was that inspiring? Um, that's good! After I posted it ... I coulnd't figure out why and I'm kind of embarrassed... so thanks for saying thanks. :)

Your passage was very inspiring and insightful! Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts ; it really gives me such hope. Xo
  • joha5603
    Options
    @73CL350 ....vent away! Let it all out. Go on a walk. Cry a bit. Lift some weights. Meditate. Hug your baby. Stare at his eyelashes. Take 10 deep, slow breaths. Repeat. It's okay.
  • Kiki9871
    Kiki9871 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Day four today. I have been reading all your posts since Monday morning when I woke up once again after an evening of drinking, alone, in front of my family, a whole bottle of wine and then turning to Baileys for dessert. Ugh...I have got to stop this cycle of drinking most nights. I just have no power for moderation. I haven’t even really wanted a drink until tonight. I really enjoy lemonade with a splash (well, maybe a bit more than a splash😜) of sorbet vodka and thought about having one tonight...but just stuck with plain old lemonade- yeah me. I’m quite proud...I don’t remember the last time I wanted a drink and didn’t cave in. My plan right now, is to be AF until Halloween as hubby and I have a three day get away planned. I will re-evaluate when the time gets closer as to whether or not I will drink while away. I think it’s mostly a mindset for me as I don’t have trouble abstaining at work functions or at school functions- I just never drink at either even though almost everyone else is. Anyhow, hello to you all. I find each of you and your courage inspiring, your advice valuable- I’m learning so much.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @Kiki9871 Welcome and thanks for joining us! I can certainly relate to most of what you said. It's frustrating for some of us to try to moderate, I always seemed to wake up so disappointed in myself for not having that ability. Just not drinking takes up much less head space for me, so that is my aim. Congrats on your Day 4!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    SO inspiring to hear everyone struggles & successes...even IF at this point it is only a struggle that is a very good thing because struggling means we are still putting up a fight to stay sober & healthier for sure. It is totally worth the fight!!!

My niece has been sober 10 days today & is quite pumped about being able to go this long without a drink. Her goal is toward the end of the month when she hosts her daughter's engagement party. ANY amount of sobriety contributes to health & proves that we DO have control.

Success is also sharing our raw, difficult feelings and I am so grateful that everyone here has the courage to do that. Thank you for helping me to stay sober <3
  • joha5603
    Options
    @Kiki9871 ... day 4 is a great start. I'm on day 18 !! Let's stick it out as best we can at least through sober october.

I cant sleep. Stressed... sad ... but determined. My life will be better than this one day. I just have to stay committed to the positive changes I am making.

Oh, man. I'm so sorry. I PM'ed you. But hey, today is a new day. It is a chance for most things to go well, and likely some things not as planned. Let's think of it as a challenge and can we rise to it? I bet you can. :)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    @Kiki9871 ... day 4 is a great start. I'm on day 18 !! Let's stick it out as best we can at least through sober october.

I cant sleep. Stressed... sad ... but determined. My life will be better than this one day. I just have to stay committed to the positive changes I am making.

How's the baby doing? Better I hope,everyone sounds good,I feel ok but a bit restless at times,seems thinking about not drinking keeps it on my mind ALL the time! I'm over it,don't want to count days,don't want to acknowledge triggers,just want to be done for good...hope everyone enjoys their day <3