Very stupid question.

13»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    One time on a cruise ship I did hypnosis for weight loss. They kept saying over and over to listen to your body and as soon as your full stop eating. It worked great for about 2 weeks> my take away from that is the signals are there if you let them in to your physical side.... :)

Insert sound of needle skipping off record. Weight loss....on a cruise ship? That’s a complete oxymoron.

Thats true actually because I've also been on many cruises and have seen weight loss courses etc on the ships daily itinerary, hilarious eh :smiley:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    I personally think it's fine to feel full as long as you actually feel HUNGRY before you fill up.
    Stop before you get to stuffed.
  • reneew62
    reneew62 Posts: 13 Member
    I seriously struggle with that. I can't every say I am full. I have eaten and it be too much to the point of sick but full is hard. Satisfied is hard too. Would I mentally like more for sure. Do I know I've had enough yep. So for me I weigh and measure everything then tell myself no you don't need it. Even at goal I have to keep this up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I personally think it's fine to feel full as long as you actually feel HUNGRY before you fill up.
    Stop before you get to stuffed.

That may be true for YOU.

Some of us have to have other strategies.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    erjones11 wrote: »
    I have to track and measure everything I consume. This is because I never feel full unless I am completely stuffed. And then if I am completely stuffed for some reason I will feel hungry again within fifteen minutes. I can't afford to listen to my body or my feeling of satiation.

I have to work this with my brain. If I hit my calories I'm done, that's it.

My whole overweight extended family is the same way. We call it our defective gene and have talked about it many times. It's all about control and I am in control of what I eat. By the way both in deficit and now recently in maintenance I have not exceeded my daily calorie target even once in 2018.

I know exactly how you feel, I'm the same! If I listened to my body and ate till I'm satisfied, I'd probably eat 3 times more than I actually need, easily
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    When I think / feel that I am hungry I try to establish if I actually feel "hungry" or thirsty". If it is outside of my normal eating hours it is usually "thirsty". A cuppa will do the trick then...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Thanks for all the great responses! I have not posted on the topic, but have been reading.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great responses! I have not posted on the topic, but have been reading.

Nobody likes a post-and-runner :wink:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

Nobody likes a post-and-runner :wink:

Too old to run ma'am! I will walk away fast!🤣
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    One of the suggestions I tried that was helpful is: drink a big glass of water when I first think I'm feeling hunger pangs. It was interesting how often it worked to take away the hunger pang. The source said that dehydration often mimics the feeling of hunger. Drinking enough water every day is one of my challenges; the frequent bathroom stops are what annoys me more than anything about trying to keep up.

My binge eating was typically of high fat and high sugar cookie/pie/ice cream sorts of things. As I started to make health conscious changes to my behavior, another trick I tried for a short time was to allow the binge event, BUT, limit it to the healthy foods. What that accomplished was to remove some of the guilt that followed the binge. It also made the physical discomfort less uncomfortable afterwards.

As I got better control of portions through the use of a digital food scale, and, planned my meals to be balanced across the macro targets, I found my desire to binge-eat was decreasing little by little.

good luck to you, and good fitness to us all!
    amyfb
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »
    One of the suggestions I tried that was helpful is: drink a big glass of water when I first think I'm feeling hunger pangs. It was interesting how often it worked to take away the hunger pang. The source said that dehydration often mimics the feeling of hunger. Drinking enough water every day is one of my challenges; the frequent bathroom stops are what annoys me more than anything about trying to keep up.

I've read that a lot on here. "You're mistaking hunger for thirst!" "Drink a glass of water before every meal!" Yeah, no. When I use water to deal with hunger, I end up feeling like an overfilled water balloon sloshing around and I'm even hungrier.

Drinking water can help some people deal with hunger, but others like me, it's just a sloshy and still growling stomach.

I guess sort of OT: I like to feel satisfied rather than not hungry or full. My eating is 90% mental. When I'm busy doing things where I can't eat, I can get by.