Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is requiring posting calories of menu items going to help reduce obesity?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    When I go to a restaurant and I'm choosing between options the highest calorie count will win. Calories are energy. I'm buying food to get energy. More calories; a better deal. Let's say, I'm looking at two sandwiches around the same price. The one with more calories is the one I will buy. I'll take half home and have a second meal out of it. That is the best bet for my diet and for my budget. It's better to have two meals for the price of one.

It depends on your goals. If you're trying to lose weight, you won't choose the higher calorie options.

Another difference between me and you is that I never buy two of anything at a restaurant. I get fast food as a stop gap option, expecting to get a real meal when I get home. So it's always very little, on the rare occasions I go.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Not if you truly believe calories aren't the root cause of weight gain.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    When I go to a restaurant and I'm choosing between options the highest calorie count will win. Calories are energy. I'm buying food to get energy. More calories; a better deal. Let's say, I'm looking at two sandwiches around the same price. The one with more calories is the one I will buy. I'll take half home and have a second meal out of it. That is the best bet for my diet and for my budget. It's better to have two meals for the price of one.

My sister once dated a guy who analysed everything he ate on a calorie per dollar basis :D The more calories per dollar the better.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

My sister once dated a guy who analysed everything he ate on a calorie per dollar basis :D The more calories per dollar the better.

A whole generation of "dirtbag" climbers lived by this principle. Would eat loads of butter & bread and similar high calorie cheap foods.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

I can't imagine why he's not your current brother-in-law! :tongue:
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    I don't think so..I can only speak for myself but when I am not in the zone (trying to lose weight) I don't even care about calories. If I want a big mac and large fries, at that moment I could care less about how many calories I am eating.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    I actually do adjust what I order by taking it into consideration. I like having it right there. But, I doubt it will work as a whole.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited October 2018
    Only if people care about the number of calories they eat.

How many even understand how many they need, on average, to simply maintain?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/12/who-looks-at-menu-labels/383320/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    So the answer to the title of this thread is NO?

I can see that if only the non obesity are reading the menu posted calorie info to make sure they do not become obese then the info is not likely to change obesity rates.

Thanks for sharing the article.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/12/who-looks-at-menu-labels/383320/

Present company excluded?

zippo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    So the answer to the title of this thread is NO?

I can see that if only the non obesity are reading the menu posted calorie info to make sure they do not become obese then the info is not likely to change obesity rates.

Thanks for sharing the article.

If the information was good for keeping the non-obese from becoming obese, it would have an impact on obesity rates. The overall obese population would continue to die at the same rate they're dying today, yet there would be fewer people joining the ranks of the obese over time. This would result in an overall reduction.

• tbright1965
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

zippo.

I doubt we reflect the majority of society.

Heck, not even everyone here believes calories matter. You have the occasional person who says counting calories isn't necessary, just eat _______, or do ________, you don't need to count, track, measure, etc.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018

zippo.

Heck, not even everyone here believes calories matter. You have the occasional person who says counting calories isn't necessary, just eat _______, or do ________, you don't need to count, track, measure, etc.

I think most everyone here knows that calories do matter. But that is not the same thing as knowing that it's possible to maintain a healthy weight without actually counting them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

zippo.

MFP has ~19M users

Not sure how many users are in the US. US population is ~360M

At it's highest potential this impacts 5% of the US population.
  • tbright1965
    CSARdiver wrote: »

zippo.

MFP has ~19M users

Not sure how many users are in the US. US population is ~360M

At it's highest potential this impacts 5% of the US population.

And that's total users. How many are actually active, as in having posted in the last week, month or year?

Just guessing, probably 19 million have signed up. Maybe 1.9 million actually are active. Just a gut feeling, I have no numbers to back up my impression.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

zippo.

I think most everyone here knows that calories do matter. But that is not the same thing as knowing that it's possible to maintain a healthy weight without actually counting them.

Other than Shouty Guy and the occasional member who has been deluded into thinking that something like a particular WOE overrides energy balance because of da insulin or da fasting.... I would agree with you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I dont think posting calories will do anything for obesity rates. That said places that list their calories are probably be more likely to get people who are counting calories as customers. Personally speaking when I was calorie counting I appreciated places that listed calories and was more likely to choose to eat there. But if they didn't list the calories I would have gotten to my goal just the same.

I don't think people who aren't tracking calories actually benefit. Sure...they may choose the lower calorie item at the restaurant...but they aren't tracking so they will probably just eat more at home.