123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I make a way better sandwich at home.

If you can't....that's sad.

True story.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My BP is too high to mess with the sodium in subway's sandwiches. I gave them up last year.
  • Allyonthebeach
    Allyonthebeach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Too much bread! And whole wheat is not whole grain. If I want to lose weight I stay away from those kinds of carbs - no potatoes, rice, pasta - even whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I get my carbs mostly from legumes and vegetables. If I'm making myself tacos or fajitas, I use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas. Makes a difference!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like subway. I think it is very healthy.... there are so many options you can get even an entire footlong for about 640cals!!!

This is my foot long that I get:
    Wheat Bread
    Chicken Breast (NO CHEESE)
    Mustard (at most 5calories depending on ingredients...)
    All the veggies I want (no bell pepers, no avocado, but I put everything else)

This comes to 640cals for a foot long! I usually eat 1 half for lunch and the other for dinner. And it tastes pretty darn good!.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I like subway. I think it is very healthy.... there are so many options you can get even an entire footlong for about 640cals!!!

This is my foot long that I get:
    Wheat Bread
    Chicken Breast (NO CHEESE)
    Mustard (at most 5calories depending on ingredients...)
    All the veggies I want (no bell pepers, no avocado, but I put everything else)

This comes to 640cals for a foot long! I usually eat 1 half for lunch and the other for dinner. And it tastes pretty darn good!.

Yeah really healthy! Just a mere 1200+mg of sodium! lol
  • killagb
    Options
    Too much bread! And whole wheat is not whole grain. If I want to lose weight I stay away from those kinds of carbs - no potatoes, rice, pasta - even whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I get my carbs mostly from legumes and vegetables. If I'm making myself tacos or fajitas, I use lettuce leaves instead of tortillas. Makes a difference!

I really like that idea....lettuce tacos/fajitas....that sounds a lot better than making a sandwich in a lettuce wrap does.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't love them or hate them. I think if I have the choice when eating on the run they are WAY better than Micky D's or Booger King! I think they have better choices than most eat on the run places though. Honestly, I'm sure we can all make better stuff at home, but if you are out and about they probably are the best choice. Just make sure you are chugging the water and make wise, low cal choices. ;)
  • JustSheri
    Options
    I LOVE it. you do have to be careful though. My sandwich it about 400 calories but it takes forever to eat because I load it with "the good stuff".......I get a 6" subway club in wheat with spinach, pickles, black olives, cucumbers, banana peppers, spicy mustard, very little light mayo and vinegar. NO oil. NO cheese. I will get a large water.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it compared to McDonalds and pretty much all other fast food joints. I used to get really bad subway before I started eating healthier. But since then, I now get a 6 inch roasted chicken sandwich on honey oat (but will switch to wheat next time I go there) and get provolone cheese, spinach, sweet and green peppers and then honey mustard and then get water. I could probably make a healthier sandwich but for those days that I just don't want to make anything or do anything, I'd rather get the Subway food than something elswhere. And from what MFP says for my sandwich, there's only 745mg of sodium in itand around 350ish calories. The sodium and calorie count is probbaly off but I don't think it'd be by much... I could be wrong, but still I'd rather eat this than pizza hut or McDonald's.. and it fills me up, so that's good!
  • akalei
    akalei Posts: 34
    Options
    Wowzers - I just custom built what I normally have and it was 610 calories! And that was based off a 6 inch. I USED to get 12 inch.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not reading thru all the replies but I LOVE subway. I actually eat there a few times a week and right before I go to the track. I'm being like Jared, LOL.

If I had a small lunch I will get a 12" veggie sub with all veggies (except banana peppers) on the 9 grain wheat bread. No dressing or condiments. Just veggies and bread. If I didn't get enough protein I will add turkey. I know it's loaded w/ salt, but at a 2500mg limit for sodium even a 12' turkey sub is half that. I will drink extra water that day too. That sub is 560. Even with 2 bowls of cereal for lunch at 400 calories total I'm still below 1200 and since I"m down to 148 now my BMR has dropped to like 1250.

I also eat at McDonald's a lot and I only get the Salad. My favourite is the southwest salad with grilled chicken. I use maybe half of the dressing (50 or less calories.) Usually I'm on my way to the track so I get a small fruit smoothie and thats' 210 calories. So my dinner is 530 caloires. Again that's w/ cereal for lunch. (Usually Kashi or something w/ high protein and fiber)

I don't know anywhere else I can eat for as healthy as Subway and McDonalds. I'd get a salad at a pizza place but they don't have calorie counts. Only Fast food places are required for that and that's because all their stuff is packaged, not homemade like pizzarias and such.

I went to iHop once and got their Fresh and fit omelette w/ mushrooms and spinach and it was 330 calories. It was DELICIOUS .
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    i looooove subway!!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I hate it and everything it represents
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, usually cold cut combo or the turkey and ham. I load all sorts of veggies and make a huge sandwich. I just stay away from the chips and cokes. I dont mind a high calorie lunch as long as I am in line with my daily goal.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I view it as three things:
    1. the closest fast food chain to my work.
    2. the lessest evil of the Evil Food Chains.
    3. for my chips and sandwich on a day when I want to eat something other than what I've brought for lunch but don't want to drive too far to get it, it tastes all right to me and the cal count isn't too bad. Sodium is a given eating out.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Having worked at a subway, I don't eat there.
    Still can't get over how long some of those ingredients are allowed to sit out before they are considered bad.
    However, it was five years ago in a college town, so maybe not all are like that. Just can't get over the gag effect.

Love, love, love, love, love Jimmy Johns! Just make sure to ask for the mayo on the side, they sure do like to lay it on thick.
  • killagb
    Options
    Having worked at a subway, I don't eat there.
    Still can't get over how long some of those ingredients are allowed to sit out before they are considered bad.
    However, it was five years ago in a college town, so maybe not all are like that. Just can't get over the gag effect.

Love, love, love, love, love Jimmy Johns! Just make sure to ask for the mayo on the side, they sure do like to lay it on thick.

Yeah JJ's is good stuff. Still got the sodium factor there as well...pretty much with any cold cut deli meats, generally speaking. But JJ's is way better tasting for sure.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't like Subway at all... I'd rather get a regular deli sandwich.

Subway, to me, is cheap as heck. 3-4 thin slices of meat and one slice of who-knows-what's-in-it cheese that was cut in half so it looks like two? No thanks. I'd rather go to my local grocery store and get a turkey sandwich that has more meat for the same price. You can eat half the sandwich and save the rest for later - they are much more satisfying. You also have more bread options - usually brands you know or can at least look up online for nutritional info. (Same with the meat - it's all right there in the display case.)

Be careful with sodium, too many people focus on calories instead of those pesky milligrams of sodium, which can contribute to significant water retention that later shows up on the scale.

Just my $.03 (adjusted for inflation)... or, you could just buy the ingredients and make your own sandwiches. Might be cheaper in the long run. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm neutral on Subway. You can get stuff that's healthy at Subway, and stuff that's ridiculously unhealthy at Subway. I can make that exact same statement for ANY fast food restaurant. Or pretty much any restaurant in general.

In Subway's defense, though, I do want to point out that all deli meat in general is extremely high sodium, it's not a Subway thing. Get a pound of turkey from your grocery store deli and odds are it will have 500mg's of sodium per 2 ounce serving.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    The smell of Subway "restaurants" makes me sick.