Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    hcdo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making protein fluff with plant-based protein powders? Does it work?

I think it works better actually. Dependent upon the protein but mine makes it thicker than whey/ casein!

Wow really?! Thanks for letting us know because I've always heard people saying it wouldn't work because non-whey won't "fluff" well, but never seen someone try. If you try it @hcdo please share how it turns out and I will do the same!

Fluffing is done by introduction of Xantham gum. This is what adds the volume.

I am so glad y'all introduced me to xantham gum. I use the heck out of the stuff now.
  • psychod787
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making protein fluff with plant-based protein powders? Does it work?

I think it works better actually. Dependent upon the protein but mine makes it thicker than whey/ casein!

Wow really?! Thanks for letting us know because I've always heard people saying it wouldn't work because non-whey won't "fluff" well, but never seen someone try. If you try it @hcdo please share how it turns out and I will do the same!

I am so glad y'all introduced me to xantham gum. I use the heck out of the stuff now.

How? Where? When?

Reading your post... lol
  • psychod787
    Options

How? Where? When?

Reading your post... lol

Well not what I am asking.
    How do you use it, when do you use it, where do you use it :)

I make fluff, I add it to a chilled coffee with almond milk to make a thicker, less calorie dense frappuccino with sucralose. I make a protein milkshake at night that fills me up better... great stuff.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I make fluff, I add it to a chilled coffee with almond milk to make a thicker, less calorie dense frappuccino with sucralose. I make a protein milkshake at night that fills me up better... great stuff.

Love the frappuccino idea! I drink a lot’s iced coffee, will definitely give it a try... I’m guessing you blend it all with ice?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you like zoats, 40 grams oats, shredded zucchini, microwaved in water. Then sprinkled on 28 grams of cheddar or could also use 1oz of American cheese and put back in microwave for 30 seconds to melt cheese. Mix it up and add salt and pepper.
    Depending on how much zucchini you want to add, you can make a pretty large bowl of cheesy, savory zoats for under 300 calories.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Okay, so I use...

- 1 serving powder
    - 0.5cup silk cashew vanilla
    - 0.25cup walden farms pancake syrup
    - 0.5tsp xantham gum

First with a tray of ice I blend until like snow and then add all of the add ins and blend? How long do I blend for to get it to whip? How long do you guys usually blend each step for? Is there a post with a detailed recipe in this thread somewhere? I am afraid to try and fail, lol. Is it better to use a food processor or vitamix blender or hand mixer?

Sorry to ask you guys to repeat your recipes if you posted, but you guys have it perfected so I want to follow it exactly.

I use the same exact ingredients.
    I use food processor (Kitchenaid)
    Dumb tray of ice cubes in and pulse few times to break them down.
    Scrape the sides and let her rip until I dont hear any more large chunks in there. (its ok if its not snow)
    Scrape again and add milk + pancake syrup + protein powder.
    Let it go until its all very well blended (no large chunks remain).
    Add the xantham gum and let it go again. This time let it go for as long as it takes for the volume to go double or more. It will take few minutes, but it will. For me its usually like 5 for the fluff. The whole process takes like 10 minutes.
    I then place the mix into the freezer while I wash the food processor for couple minutes.

What are you afraid of? These takes ppl place less thought into making babies lol you are just crushing ice :)

Thanks for the instructions! I can't wait to try it now!
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options

That's good to know! What ratios/ingredients do you use?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Can i freeze the fluff, or refrigerate leftovers?
  • psychod787
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

Love the frappuccino idea! I drink a lot’s iced coffee, will definitely give it a try... I’m guessing you blend it all with ice?

yes. loads of ice! I also noticed you stated you used liquid splenda. Look on amazon, you can get the pure sucrulose add some to some distilled water, and you have your own liquid splenda. 100 grams is equal to 3300 splenda packets.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    yes. loads of ice! I also noticed you stated you used liquid splenda. Look on amazon, you can get the pure sucrulose add some to some distilled water, and you have your own liquid splenda. 100 grams is equal to 3300 splenda packets.

I’m going to give that frappuccino a try! I actually use SucraDrops that I get off Amazon... liquid Splenda is sooo expensive!
  • icemom011
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Can i freeze the fluff, or refrigerate leftovers?

If you freeze it, it will freeze solid. Think about it, its just water. When you defrost is it will melt before it defrosts. Make only what you will eat. Make the whole batch once, see how much you eat, if only half then half everything in the recipe.

Yes, makes sense. Thank you!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ok, so back to making the fluff! My issues was using sugar free vanilla almond milk-30 calories a cup...i did this 3x with the bad results...i did once with Casher milk and issue solved...weird! Also I'm about out of the xanthum gum, can i order Guar Gum Powder with same results...im looking for lowering my calories/carbs and saw it was on sale where im looking....anyone use that? i hate to mess up what i have FINALLY mastered:( Special thanks to Kelly_c_77! Im addicted@
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    ok, so back to making the fluff! My issues was using sugar free vanilla almond milk-30 calories a cup...i did this 3x with the bad results...i did once with Casher milk and issue solved...weird! Also I'm about out of the xanthum gum, can i order Guar Gum Powder with same results...im looking for lowering my calories/carbs and saw it was on sale where im looking....anyone use that? i hate to mess up what i have FINALLY mastered:( Special thanks to Kelly_c_77! Im addicted@

Yay!! You're very welcome! I'm glad it worked and that you figured out it was your milk. I always use cashew milk too. :)
    No clue about the guar gum. Let us know if you try it.

And yeah, I'm totally addicted too.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting because I was going to use almond milk, but now I will use cashew instead!
  • psychod787
    Options

Thanks for posting because I was going to use almond milk, but now I will use cashew instead!

Saving 5 cals a cup! I like it!
  • psychod787
    Options
    I recently started to count calories again after a friend passed, because it’s a sort of meditation for me. Or it just keeps my thoughts occupied, so I don’t get wrapped up in any self destructive thoughts.
    However, before when I was doing the whole “recovery” thing from my ED, I was told to focus on volume and not calories. It was really hard for me, but it helped my relationship with food. I also earned back my hunger signals after abusing them for so long. I’m weight restored, but still struggling with relapsing back into old habits.
    For those who want to quit counting calories and lose weight (or gain weight), listening to your body and going by volume is the best you can do for yourself. Quality and quantity are both important.

False. If I listened to my body I will be filling myself up with all kinds of calorie dense foods.

Amen brother!
  • icemom011
    Options
    I recently started to count calories again after a friend passed, because it’s a sort of meditation for me. Or it just keeps my thoughts occupied, so I don’t get wrapped up in any self destructive thoughts.
    However, before when I was doing the whole “recovery” thing from my ED, I was told to focus on volume and not calories. It was really hard for me, but it helped my relationship with food. I also earned back my hunger signals after abusing them for so long. I’m weight restored, but still struggling with relapsing back into old habits.
    For those who want to quit counting calories and lose weight (or gain weight), listening to your body and going by volume is the best you can do for yourself. Quality and quantity are both important.

False. If I listened to my body I will be filling myself up with all kinds of calorie dense foods.

Agreed. It only would work for a low calorie foods. That's when you can let loose and enjoy your volumes. Anything that is calorie dense needs to be monitored, whether you calorie count, or portion control.