Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    sofchak wrote: »
    @vegmebuff - nope. Raw cauliflower into the food processor. I personally found I liked the consistency better when I riced the cauliflower first, then added the banana to blend further.

Hope you like it as much as I do!

OK. I have searched. What are you guys talking about??

I think they're talking about cauliflower "oatmeal" (seen it in another thread). I love crazy combos as well, but I have a strong aversion to things I'm used to eating savory tasting sweet, so this is one I don't think I will try. Can't even fathom the idea of sweetened Greek yogurt, for example, despite of its popularity, and dried fruits in some savory dishes appear to elevate them, just not for me. It's a shame because other than that I'm willing to try anything.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like fruit in savory stuff, so although I would not add the other sweeteners I'd try cauliflower oatmeal (maybe as a half addition to oats).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dailyzey wrote: »
    sofchak wrote: »
    Oh, I found my home! I am such a volume eater - recently learned the term and was instantly like "yup! That's me!" I have a few interesting recipes to add to the mix:

Cauliflower oatmeal: 18 oz cauliflower, 10 oz banana - add both to food processor and pulse til you reach preferred consistency. Transfer to a pot and add 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup and spices to preference (I do cinnamon and sometimes nutmeg). Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, stir and cover. After about 10 minutes, I add 6 oz diced apples and simmer for an additional 10 min. Makes 3 servings of about 16 oz each - like 160 cal per serving.

Would love to see additional recipes!

Will try the veggie and egg hash tomorrow! Thanks for the ideas

And this shredded, boiled and simmered cauliflower does not turn into a complete mush in the end? All I am seeing is sweet mushed cauliflower with chunks of apple mixed in.

You could microwave it and then mix in the rest of the ingredients. When I made cauliflower rice (which I no longer do because it's a hassle) I just microwaved the grated cauliflower uncovered and it came out in individual "rice grains" not mushy at all. Not sure how it would behave with milk added in, wonder if it would absorb it and turn mushy anyway.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Exactly this.
    I make riced cauliflower all the time and love it, but adding liquid to it and boiling it? Again maybe I am wrong but this will turn to mush.

Would you share your method? Please and thank you.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Exactly this.
    I make riced cauliflower all the time and love it, but adding liquid to it and boiling it? Again maybe I am wrong but this will turn to mush.

Would you share your method? Please and thank you.

Posted this already few times but... Buy lots of cauliflower when in season. Process in food processor by pulsing to get the crumbs. Portion and freeze. When you feel like cheating on rice, take out place in a nonstick pan and heat up. The liquid will evaporate and you will be left with so called rice. Spice up to your liking. I like to mix in shredded coconut to make coconut rice that I have with Thai red coconut curries.

Thank you.

• kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    FYI for those 0f you who like to make the angel food cakes, they had lots of cream of tartar at my Aldi. It seemed like it was hard to find for some of you.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this thread! yay me! I like to eat a large quantity for my midday meal. I enjoy bringing a huge salad with lots of stuff in it to work. Today's is a can of rotel, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage/broccoli slaw, topped with a can of chicken, chickpeas, and a few walnuts. I love the recipes on here and hope to get myself a food processor. I am wanting to try the cauliflower as rice and in with my oats.
  • Gordorino
    Gordorino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think this is the thread I need. I posted this on the Getting Started thread (because I’m just getting started!) and was told to check out volume eating;

“If I eat three meals of 500 calories a day, which would make me lose weight, but then eat two or three pounds of celery will that change the amount of weight I would otherwise lose? I ask because before I decided to care about my body (a month ago) I would be munching on stuff almost all the time. Even if I was not hungry, even when I was full I would munch and munch on chips, peanuts, snack cakes and whatnot. I could never eat just half a bag of tortilla chips. I made a point to finish the bag (because another cat might snatch it if it’s not in your stomach right?). So, I still want to munch all the time. I tried gum, but that doesn’t do it for me. I have been munching on celery a lot recently, and cucumbers. I avoid eating this stuff with any salad dressing or anything at least. Cabbage next maybe? I considered pickles but there is to much sodium for my high blood pressure to deal with I reckon. Yea, it’s called “Binge Eating Disorder” right? So, all else equal is munching on bunches and bunches of celery really gunna make me fatter? If not are there any other foods in this category?”
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's like 16 cal for 2 medium stalks, but it sounds like it will add up. It's low in calories but high in water and fiber.
    Be ready to become very... um... regular
    Not a bad thing in itself, but you may want to ramp up slowly.
    My favorite low calorie/high volume vegetable is the zucchini. I like to steam it lightly and add eggs for a warm filling meal.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @Gordorino - I FEEL YOU! I've been eating more and more celery because it's one thing that I like pretty well that has almost no calories. Although at the amount I'm eating, it does have some! So like... lemme see... okay, a pound of celery is under 100 calories. So just weigh it and log it and then make sure to budget for it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Gordorino wrote: »
    I think this is the thread I need. I posted this on the Getting Started thread (because I’m just getting started!) and was told to check out volume eating;

“If I eat three meals of 500 calories a day, which would make me lose weight, but then eat two or three pounds of celery will that change the amount of weight I would otherwise lose? I ask because before I decided to care about my body (a month ago) I would be munching on stuff almost all the time. Even if I was not hungry, even when I was full I would munch and munch on chips, peanuts, snack cakes and whatnot. I could never eat just half a bag of tortilla chips. I made a point to finish the bag (because another cat might snatch it if it’s not in your stomach right?). So, I still want to munch all the time. I tried gum, but that doesn’t do it for me. I have been munching on celery a lot recently, and cucumbers. I avoid eating this stuff with any salad dressing or anything at least. Cabbage next maybe? I considered pickles but there is to much sodium for my high blood pressure to deal with I reckon. Yea, it’s called “Binge Eating Disorder” right? So, all else equal is munching on bunches and bunches of celery really gunna make me fatter? If not are there any other foods in this category?”

If you do get bored of eating it without dressing I would look into the yogurt dressings (Walmart has these in the produce section).

One of the brands I had got was around 35 calories for two tablespoons & another was 40 calories. Powdered peanut butter is a lower alternative to regular if you would want to use that.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @Gordorino also Try spinach right from the bag instead of chips. Spinach tastes a little salty to me, so it usually calms that craving for about 15 cals. I too eat a s**t ton of zucchini. I slice it in thick slabs and eat with some salt or cubed with cottage cheese and a sprinkle of pistachios. I hate celery, even slathered in peanut butter. It’s unfortunate.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Big dinner tonight.... roasted spaghetti squash stuffed with wild rice, pecans, chopped broccoli, onions and garlic with a sprinkle of melty mozzarella!

Yum that sounds so good! What was the calorie count on it (if you remember)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Any new recipes or creations anyone has tried out?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @kellyjellybellyjelly sadly, I’ve been making the worlds most boring suppers. Tonight was a whole head (yes, I ate it solo) of roasted/burnt cauliflower with sriracha and a baked acorn squash with maple syrup.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @kellyjellybellyjelly sadly, I’ve been making the worlds most boring suppers. Tonight was a whole head (yes, I ate it solo) of roasted/burnt cauliflower with sriracha and a baked acorn squash with maple syrup.

that sounds so yummy...you must have had one long dinner!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Boring here too. Just lots of boring repeat dinners with veggies and cottage cheese. My daughter and I have been on a kick. Varying veggies, topping with cottage cheese. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I haven't been doing much for dessert either. Just yogurt and berries.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    honestly iv been living off fruit and veg with one small 300 calorie "smash plate" -can of tuna green onions and 2 sunnyside up eggs with whatever sauce i want normally of the hot variety lol- Just to up the protein.

Can eat alot of fruit and veg in a calorie allowance i do need to ween self off though. Barely managing any fat with my eggs and protein isnt terrible but its nowhere near as high as i need for my activity level (very lol)

But iv very much been enjoying the bulk lol. Been a nice sort of mental cleanse to not really think to much about macros for a bit.

Begining by trying to get in more veg vs fruit and slowly ill up my fats and proteins again and become slightly less bulky :p

Why is a huge plate of mixed veg with hot sauce and fry salt so dang good lmao. Or a huge freezer bag of frozen fruit.

Although as far as food goes i guess i could be eating worse things :p