The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    @kcn2bluesky congrats on your AF status and that marathon! I was finally able to do a 5k this summer and felt amazing! I am not a runner...at all...I HATED when we had to do it for sports in HS! But I had the energy and clear mind so I just went for it :smile:

Today I am sitting here marveling at how absolutely quiet my mind is. There is such an absence of "chatter" that comes with avoiding alcohol, for me personally. I was always able to not have a drink, I've just never been able to have 1, it was more like 10. Now with that removed there is no internal dialogue centered around whether I should grab a bottle of wine today, and the "oh, wait, it's Sunday, not til noon" or "where did I buy it from last so I can avoid that place" dilemma. It just feels great. Last night the husband and I went out to dinner, wine and mixed drinks were at every table but I just ordered an iced tea without any FOMO. It's just a really good place to be and it all started here :smiley:

Love this update :)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    @Kiki9871 We are here for you. Try watching some Craig Beck videos on youtube for encouragement. Also check out thesoberschool.com. She usually has good blogs and videos. Stay strong. Baby steps still move you forward.
  • bubblemum2
    bubblemum2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would like to join ... day 1 today .. how often do we update?
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    bubblemum2 wrote: »
    I would like to join ... day 1 today .. how often do we update?

Update as often as you like or feel you need to. I enjoy looking at this thread each day. It motivates me. Also, start at the first day on the thread to get some good advice; read through it. It’s hard work being sober or keeping your goal in check. But after you pass about 10 days , I think you’ll feel so much better.
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    I just saw this Sober School video which was posted in September but I must have missed it. Well worth watching.

https://thesoberschool.com/do-i-need-to-quit-drinking/
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Today I am sitting here marveling at how absolutely quiet my mind is. There is such an absence of "chatter" that comes with avoiding alcohol, for me personally. I was always able to not have a drink, I've just never been able to have 1, it was more like 10. Now with that removed there is no internal dialogue centered around whether I should grab a bottle of wine today, and the "oh, wait, it's Sunday, not til noon" or "where did I buy it from last so I can avoid that place" dilemma. It just feels great.

This was me!!
    Moderation for me would be trying to only buy alcohol on my night off. The amount was irrelevant, since I consumed for the buzz. Otherwise, why bother having any?

I'd like to get into running again, but I always hated it as well! :D

@RubyRed427 So glad you had a great weekend! I've been trying to get into meditation as well. Do you know any good reads or videos to start with?

• jhilkene
    Options
    Kiki9871 wrote: »
    Ugh. I am so disappointed in myself. I am back at day one...again. I seem to do fine for the first few days and then around day 4 or 5 I feel like I can moderate. I cannot. Last night is proof of that. I am writing this so I will hopefully remember that I cannot drink in moderation and will choose to not drink. Not even one because apparently it never is just one. I want to be a better person. Hopefully I am on that road now and will not take anymore detours. Thank you all for your posts that I find so inspiring. I hope I can be as strong as you all are.

Self realization is key. It seems you have that, so you are stronger than you are giving yourself credit for.
    I've had many of those days thinking I could just drink one night and be fine the rest of the week, but then it makes every other day harder to abstain. (At least for me)

I was rewatching the Hunger Games movies last night (I'm a big kid, lol!), and one of the charachters said, it's easy to fall back down, but it's ten times harder to pull yourself out again.
  • jhilkene
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    So I've been doing the South Beach diet for 7 days now and had a net loss of 3 lbs. Yesterday I completely blew it.....football food is NOT on the SBD and I went off the rails.....but 3 lbs is better than none. And not having wine or beer as was once usual, helps immensely as well. Now I just need to be committed to sending the leftover Halloween candy to the office with my husband on Thursday morning.

Having those off days makes us human!
    There are days when I go waaay over my calorie consumption. I try to focus on the fact that I feel better when I eat or drink better, or I'll do an extra workout to compensate for the snacks I had.
    If I ate it, I have to negate it. :p

Having that Halloween candy in the house doesn't help! I've been snacking on it for days. Glad it's only a couple days away.. it's too tempting! :cookie::persevere:
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Kiki9871 wrote: »
    Ugh. I am so disappointed in myself. I am back at day one...again. I seem to do fine for the first few days and then around day 4 or 5 I feel like I can moderate. I cannot. Last night is proof of that. I am writing this so I will hopefully remember that I cannot drink in moderation and will choose to not drink. Not even one because apparently it never is just one. I want to be a better person. Hopefully I am on that road now and will not take anymore detours. Thank you all for your posts that I find so inspiring. I hope I can be as strong as you all are.

Big hugs to you! That first week is a tough one when you are changing ingrained habits.

Early on in January, I wrote entries daily, and sometimes several times a day, in my MFP blog that I keep private. It has been tremendously helpful! I still write entries there, although nowadays I have just one entry per month that I add to here & there. The blog quickly became a place to put down thoughts, goals, challenges, and a place to work things out. Writing in my private blog has been truly helpful both as I was writing and when looking back on the entries.

One question I ask myself when I ever think of having a drink is "what is it that I need or want that I think the glass of wine will do for me?" To relax? To de-stress? Because it's a habit or routine? Because I'm sad? Once I know the problem I'm trying to solve, I find other ways to resolve it. I've not had one single instance in the past 10 months where having that glass of wine (or 3) would solve a problem or feeling that I can't resolve in some other healthier way.

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    jhilkene wrote: »
    Today I am sitting here marveling at how absolutely quiet my mind is. There is such an absence of "chatter" that comes with avoiding alcohol, for me personally. I was always able to not have a drink, I've just never been able to have 1, it was more like 10. Now with that removed there is no internal dialogue centered around whether I should grab a bottle of wine today, and the "oh, wait, it's Sunday, not til noon" or "where did I buy it from last so I can avoid that place" dilemma. It just feels great.

This was me!!
    Moderation for me would be trying to only buy alcohol on my night off. The amount was irrelevant, since I consumed for the buzz. Otherwise, why bother having any?

I'd like to get into running again, but I always hated it as well! :D

@RubyRed427 So glad you had a great weekend! I've been trying to get into meditation as well. Do you know any good reads or videos to start with?

@JenT304 Thank you for the Sober School reference again. I checked it out last eve & found lots of good articles/videos. In reference to @jhikene and the 'rules around our drinking, I found an article on that site that made the point that making 'rules' re: drinking is an indicator that we have a problem with alcohol which makes perfect sense because people who are truly able to moderate do NOT think about their drinking, they do NOT google 'alcohol' or go on quit drinking sites OR take participate in quizzes to test whether they are drinking too much OR make rules so that they can control their drinking!! I think the article also made the point that once alcohol hits our brain, the addictive nature of it easily sabotages any rule making & then one leads to more etc...it's only a game WE play to keep drinking!

For meditation, try Jon Cabat Zin (sp?) for guided meditation online. If he isn't your fit, just google guided meditation...lots to select from.

@islandbeez I too could NOT have a drink with some mental work, but once I started, rarely did I have just one. IF I did manage to have just one, it was accompanied by a lot of chit-chit taking up most of my headspace fighting with myself to stop at just one...WAY to much energy!! Sobriety equals freedom. Of course, it isn't a quick or easy fix, but it IS doable if we put in the work & like others have said it becomes easier over time.

I truly believe what Craig Beck says, that in order to quit successfully we have to be absolutely convinced that alcohol is of NO benefit! If we are struggling, then that is the place to start; questioning what our beliefs are about alcohol. I am also convinced as are some others on this thread that alcohol IS poison and we are brainwashed by the propaganda that marketing agencies promote to take our hard earned dollars, profiting by others addictions and actually contributing to keeping people hooked.
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!
    Just posting a quick update at almost 10 months AF. I've finally run a marathon, something that I've wanted to do for years!
    Karen

Hi Karen! You ran the Humboldt Redwoods marathon??!! That's awesome! When I was born we lived in Humboldt Redwoods, in Bull Creek, where my dad was a ranger. I live in Redding now. I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to run a marathon but fear has held me back... 3 miles is my go-to length and even that is a butt-kicker.
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    I am really sick of seeing this *&^% every time I walk into a store. What kind of message are we sending young girls??! This is not okay.
  • SunnyDays930
    Options
    Well I don't know why those are so tiny. I did something wrong. Anyway one says "Girls Just want to have Wine." and the other says, "whats a nice girl like me doing without a drink in her hand?" I am just disgusted. This stuff is everywhere.
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Well I don't know why those are so tiny.
    I agree. I think that kind of stuff is pretty lame. If it were truthful it wouldn't be cute (and it wouldn't sell).