Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto Diet Debate

Options
13»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say...

I changed what I ate. That led to a change in overall calorie intake. That led to weight loss.

Everyone agrees that A happen. Everyone agrees that C happens. But some people are failing to mention/acknowledge that B is happening (intentionally or unintentionally), and that's the critical context here.

Actually, if I'm being thorough, it should be...

A -- I changed what I ate.
    B -- That led to a change in overall calorie intake.
    C -- That changed my overall calorie/energy balance.
    D -- That led to weight loss.

C is the crucial part in all this.

Yep. A and B are the "hows"...

C is the "why"...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    never mind.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I quit the keto diet because I don't eat the same amount of calories every day. I have hungry days. And even though I lost overall, I gained 6 lbs TWICE and both times it took 3 weeks to come off again. Since I have stopped I can eat a whole pizza and still lose.

I was so strict most weeks out of fear of gaining 6 lbs again. I ate 1100-1300 calories and under 15 net carbs everyday and barely lost anything after the first few weeks. Which is weird because I have lost 5 lbs the last few weeks on a break from dieting. I don't know why keto doesn't work for me. Wish I knew. It is good for resetting sugar addiction for me though. I have had less cravings for a couple months now.

I don't miss all my dishes being greasy either lol. I went through so much dish soap.

I am not against keto, if it works for someone it's hard to argue with the results. If someone stays healthy and likes the way they are eating then you would be a jerk to argue with them about that.. But it doesn't work for everyone. I know how to be very strict and I got heartbreaking results.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I quit the keto diet because I don't eat the same amount of calories every day. I have hungry days. And even though I lost overall, I gained 6 lbs TWICE and both times it took 3 weeks to come off again. Since I have stopped I can eat a whole pizza and still lose.

I was so strict most weeks out of fear of gaining 6 lbs again. I ate 1100-1300 calories and under 15 net carbs everyday and barely lost anything after the first few weeks. Which is weird because I have lost 5 lbs the last few weeks on a break from dieting. I don't know why keto doesn't work for me. Wish I knew. It is good for resetting sugar addiction for me though. I have had less cravings for a couple months now.

I don't miss all my dishes being greasy either lol. I went through so much dish soap.

I am not against keto, if it works for someone it's hard to argue with the results. If someone stays healthy and likes the way they are eating then you would be a jerk to argue with them about that.. But it doesn't work for everyone. I know how to be very strict and I got heartbreaking results.

If you were eating at a deficit, you were most likely losing fat whether the scale showed it or not. But it sounds like you are doing just fine without keto, or on large macro swings. Perhaps cycling your macros works well for you?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    How is it that there is no long term studies on the keto WOE with a statistically significant population but this video can come with pages of negative FACTS. In the interest of full disclosure we should have been told the speakers qualifications and whom funded the video.

Probably the most significant study I've seen was done by Hall, et al: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27385608

n=17, metabolic chambers and doubly labeled water utilized, diet standardized/measured. Excellent analysis/review of the study here: https://shreddedbyscience.com/ketogenic-diets-actually-work-study-review/

And then there's Johnston, et al: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16685046/

n=20, intake and exercise controlled.

I really liked the Johnston study. I would have also liked to see two groups and have both eat (one keto , one carb) go at it for the full eight weeks. I am not sure if starting one way and immediately going to the other effects the results so I would find that interesting. Anyway thanks for posting it was a good read.