Women who have had liposuction: are you glad you did?

Replies

• katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    My friend's mom died after having lipo because she threw a clot. Probably not common but it does happen. I only throw this out there because most people read the risks and complications but don't think it will ever happen to them (human nature). You have to do your own risk/reward ratio and decide if it's worth it.

I've read that the risk is about 1/5000 in the States and less in Europe (where I am) because they are stricter on certain rules here. If you were born in 86 I'm a little younger than you, I'd be much lower risk than someone our mom's age for complications - but of course, it is always possible.
  • katie1234
    Jennloella wrote: »
    people are going to give you their opinion whether it's on topic or not. Make the decision that is right for you, and smile and nod at the stuff that doesn't apply to what you asked. It's the internet, you will go crazy trying to reply to every know it all that has something to say on what you're doing - don't stress over them.

You're right. It's just so frustrating :#

I've specifically decided not to ask a bunch of my friends for their opinions on this because I want to make up my own mind, I just thought it would be helpful to hear some first-hand experiences like yours, and I've been watching some YouTube videos too.

It is pretty cool that everyone who replied so far who has done it had a positive experience.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    katie1234 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm honestly just not that interested in people's personal opinion's on lipo or my weight.

If there's anyone who has been through it, I'd love to hear from them. Otherwise, I have a PT, a doctor, a therapist and various other people who are better qualified to give me advice.

I think the point people are trying to make is - just because you need to lose 5 lbs to get into the healthy BMI range, doesn't mean you only have to lose 5 lbs to get to the best weight for you. That's why BMI is a range. I'm 5'4 and I felt like a blimp at the upper limit of the healthy BMI range for my height. I'm currently right in the middle and still think I might try to lose another 5 lbs.

The thing with lipo or any surgery is there is no guarantee you'll like how you look when it's done, and there are always the possibility of complications. So perhaps first lose another 5 or 10 lbs and then make your decision. The midsection is often the last place people lose. I can say when I went from 130 to 125 is when I saw the obvious difference in my stomach. You don't always lose weight from all over. It would just be a shame if you paid for a procedure with risks when the next 5 lbs might be the 5 lbs that make a difference.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

People are really keen to give me answers to questions I didn't ask! As I said above, I have a doctor, a therapist and a personal trainer who are all much better placed than anyone here to give me general advice on weightloss and body image. That's why I'm specifically asking for advice from women who have gone through lipo for their first-hand experiences, which is what I'm much more interested in.

And what do your doc and therapist say when you tell them you want lipo?
  • katie1234
    saragd012 wrote: »
    I personally did not have lipo, but a coworker of mine did years ago. She ended up regaining, but in strange places. Not to be unkind, but because most of the weight came unto her back it gave a very hunched appearance.

I have heard a couple of people say this and it's a concern I plan to talk to the surgeon about. I've also heard other people say "It came back, but spread out over my whole body instead of just my arms, so I'm happy because I always hated how they looked"
  • katie1234
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm honestly just not that interested in people's personal opinion's on lipo or my weight.

If there's anyone who has been through it, I'd love to hear from them. Otherwise, I have a PT, a doctor, a therapist and various other people who are better qualified to give me advice.

I think the point people are trying to make is - just because you need to lose 5 lbs to get into the healthy BMI range, doesn't mean you only have to lose 5 lbs to get to the best weight for you. That's why BMI is a range. I'm 5'4 and I felt like a blimp at the upper limit of the healthy BMI range for my height. I'm currently right in the middle and still think I might try to lose another 5 lbs.

The thing with lipo or any surgery is there is no guarantee you'll like how you look when it's done, and there are always the possibility of complications. So perhaps first lose another 5 or 10 lbs and then make your decision. The midsection is often the last place people lose. I can say when I went from 130 to 125 is when I saw the obvious difference in my stomach. You don't always lose weight from all over. It would just be a shame if you paid for a procedure with risks when the next 5 lbs might be the 5 lbs that make a difference.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

People are really keen to give me answers to questions I didn't ask! As I said above, I have a doctor, a therapist and a personal trainer who are all much better placed than anyone here to give me general advice on weightloss and body image. That's why I'm specifically asking for advice from women who have gone through lipo for their first-hand experiences, which is what I'm much more interested in.

And what do your doc and therapist say when you tell them you want lipo?

Asked and answered!
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    It can be frustrating when people chime i with stuff you didn't for so I understand that and I am about to dot hat, but not in a malicious way. I saw someone mention coolsculpting. I wouldn't recommend that. A friend of mine had it done and while it worked for a little bit they told her after the last appointment "just continue to watch your weight because any fat you put on will go directly to the abdomen (what they worked on)." Sure enough she got hurt at work and gained a few pounds while she wasn't able to be active and every pound she gained she said went right to the areas they worked on.