I'm stuck in plateau :(

Options
13»

Replies

• kariemi
    kariemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OK there are plenty more experienced people than me in here and hopefully one of them will be round shortly to offer you more advice, but in the meanwhile... I've had a quick look at your diary and second what @RAinWA said - logging seems a bit random, and at times seems to use measurements/estimations rather than weight (such as, 1 medium apple rather than say, 84 g apple). So do read the link about accurate logging, and then be accurate every day, regardless of how frustrated you are ;-).

What jumps out at me is that according to your diary, you often have days well under your calorie goal - in the region of 1200 calories, even less. If you were indeed only consuming that amount, you'd be well under nourished, a young active male needs more calories than that - 1200 is the lowest that MFP tends to give, and that is for small, inactive women. But given that you're not losing weight, I suspect that your logging isn't accurate and you probably consume more than your diary says. So I would suggest you tighten up your logging, and then make sure you do eat the calories allocated to you.

Your protein goal seems pretty low too - I shoot for 100g protein a day, and I'm 5'4" female.

At 80kgs and 179cm, you're already (just) within a healthy BMI. When you don't have a lot to lose, it gets slower and harder. So patience is needed too.

If I was you, I think I would set your weight loss goal to just 0.25kg/0.5 pounds a week, choose moderately active as your activity level, then eat all of your daily calories incl. maybe half of the exercise calories - but make sure your logging is very accurate. I would also suggest that you make sure you get enough protein, and pick a recognised lifting program, rather than just doing random exercises. Here's a good thread to help you choose one: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    ANd then just be patient, and rather than looking at the scale weight alone, also look at things like inches lost, clothes fitting looser, and fitness goals.

You can't spot reduce, if stomach is where your body stores fat then it'll be the last place to come off. Just keep your deficit, keep lifting and you'll see progress eventually.

I can be inaccurate in a few small things that won't affect because after everything i eat under the goal much.
    I will actually decided to increase the 180 g protein rate.
    Patience is a boring thing :)
    I have set a Weight loss level 1 kg per week.
    Thank you for your valuable advice and I will try it out
  • kariemi
    Options
    kariemi wrote: »
    I want to add something 5 days ago I went to the gym
    Then I ate enough protein and then after 5 hours i went to practice football for an hour and a half
    Although I felt fatigue, but when I returned home I found that I lost almost half a kilo and when I woke up the next day I found that I lost a kilogram and a quarter
    Then in two days I gained this weight again despite I kept my calories in goal

you need to look at your weight trend over weeks and months, not a few days.

you're describing completely normal fluctuations.

I know this is normal but I want to explain that my body can lose weight quickly but the belly size is constant

yes because water weight is not the same thing as fat weight.

set an appropriate deficit (sounds like 0.5lb per week for you), get adequate protein, weigh your food and do some strength/resistance training.

be patient and consistent.

ok i will change it to .5 k per week
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Then I ate enough protein and then after 5 hours i went to practice football for an hour and a half
    Although I felt fatigue, but when I returned home I found that I lost almost half a kilo and when I woke up the next day I found that I lost a kilogram and a quarter

I know this is normal but I want to explain that my body can lose weight quickly but the belly size is constant

yes because water weight is not the same thing as fat weight.

set an appropriate deficit (sounds like 0.5lb per week for you), get adequate protein, weigh your food and do some strength/resistance training.

be patient and consistent.

ok i will change it to .5 k per week

0.25kg or 0.5lb
  • kariemi
    Options
    orenshani7 wrote: »

Abdominal fat is the emergency energy storage of your body. It is the last thing it will give up. Eventually, if you will be consistent and keep training, it will go down.

In the meantime focus on other aspects of your fitness. Also, ask the instructors in your gym about interval training. They may say it is too early for you thought.

Anoder advice I can give you, especially since you mentioned that you have back problems, is to try something that works on your core muscles, like Pilates or Yoga. Combining core exercises with your gym routine may help you gain muscle strength and flexibility, and prepare you to the next stage.

I think you are referring to high Intensity exercises that work on the oxygen level and increase the heart rate?
    i'm doing this workout
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJlFmxiL11s
    but i will search about Pilates because i found Yoga so boring :)
  • kariemi
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    You using a food scale? You really need to use one whenever possible. Using it at home will train your eye for when you are out.

You post on the Fitness board? Folks there may prove to be more knowledgeable regarding the specifics.

But consider this, if you are looking for a healthy range BMI, which seems to be about 160 lbs for you, and a high level of fitness, you need good work at the gym, spot on nutrition and time. You need to give it time.

Try to keep from jumping on and off the scale. Weighing multiple time per day is meaningless. Weighing daily will mess up your head. Try to set up a weekly WI, same time, same conditions. Control as many factors as possible. Don’t do the day after lifting. Stressed muscles retain water.

You don’t want to lose weight quickly. Fast weight loss will cost you muscles mass.

yes i have a food scale

You post on the Fitness board? Folks there may prove to be more knowledgeable regarding the specifics.

u r right

Try to keep from jumping on and off the scale. Weighing multiple time per day is meaningless. Weighing daily will mess up your head. Try to set up a weekly WI, same time, same conditions. Control as many factors as possible. Don’t do the day after lifting. Stressed muscles retain water.

I do this actually but sometimes to stimulate myself i compare my weight after each exercise :)
  • kariemi
    edited November 2018
    Options
    deleted
  • orenshani7
    orenshani7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

That's because the "weight" you are losing is not fat. It's not possible to lose (or gain) 1.5kg of fat overnight. A trending app like Libra or Happyscale will show a gradual decrease in your weight over weeks and months IF you are truly eating in a calorie deficit.

I doubt your dairy is accurate, the calories are very low for a man of your height and weight. If you were truly eating so few calories you would probably be really very hungry. Whole meals are often missing. You eat so many fluid ounces of peanuts and oats????, "red meat" is hardly an accurate entry since species and cut can have vastly different calories.

Weigh everything with a food scale, double check your entries with a quick google or look for brand specific entries. There's no point spending time and effort logging if you're not being accurate about it.

I actually eat a little bit from 1200 calories to 1500 and sometimes 1000 calories only
    then I eat anything healthy to complete my daily goal of calories
    I don't feel much hungry
    Because I was desperate I decided to try something new
    Try now to eat 50 grams a day of peanuts and 30 grams of Oats

I'm not sure I understand. What do you eat for the 1200 to 1500 cals ?
  • kariemi
    Options

That's because the "weight" you are losing is not fat. It's not possible to lose (or gain) 1.5kg of fat overnight. A trending app like Libra or Happyscale will show a gradual decrease in your weight over weeks and months IF you are truly eating in a calorie deficit.

I doubt your dairy is accurate, the calories are very low for a man of your height and weight. If you were truly eating so few calories you would probably be really very hungry. Whole meals are often missing. You eat so many fluid ounces of peanuts and oats????, "red meat" is hardly an accurate entry since species and cut can have vastly different calories.

Weigh everything with a food scale, double check your entries with a quick google or look for brand specific entries. There's no point spending time and effort logging if you're not being accurate about it.

I actually eat a little bit from 1200 calories to 1500 and sometimes 1000 calories only
    then I eat anything healthy to complete my daily goal of calories
    I don't feel much hungry
    Because I was desperate I decided to try something new
    Try now to eat 50 grams a day of peanuts and 30 grams of Oats

I'm not sure I understand. What do you eat for the 1200 to 1500 cals ?

Calories per day
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options

If this all you are eating then it is probably too little, which puts your body in starvation mode. This is why you are not loosing abdominal fat. The reason the rest of your body becomes skinnier is that your muscles are starving to death.

You need to eat more, even if MFP will show you that you will loose weight slower. Also, if you haven't done so already you need to cut down sugar (sugar, not carbs) to almost zero, as sugar is converted by the liver directly to fat.

"Starvation mode" is not a thing, eating too little will not stop you losing body fat.

Eating too little will possibly make you tired and miserable and less inclined to be active (as a way to reduce calorie expenditure, very minimal) but it will not stop you losing bodyfat.

I don't know who told you that about the liver but it is straight up bonkers. By the time nutrients get to the liver they're already absorbed into your bloodstream at which point every carb is the same, it's all glucose.
  • orenshani7
    Options

If this all you are eating then it is probably too little, which puts your body in starvation mode. This is why you are not loosing abdominal fat. The reason the rest of your body becomes skinnier is that your muscles are starving to death.

You need to eat more, even if MFP will show you that you will loose weight slower. Also, if you haven't done so already you need to cut down sugar (sugar, not carbs) to almost zero, as sugar is converted by the liver directly to fat.

"Starvation mode" is not a thing, eating too little will not stop you losing body fat.

Eating too little will possibly make you tired and miserable and less inclined to be active (as a way to reduce calorie expenditure, very minimal) but it will not stop you losing bodyfat.

I don't know who told you that about the liver but it is straight up bonkers. By the time nutrients get to the liver they're already absorbed into your bloodstream at which point every carb is the same, it's all glucose.

Sugar is made of mixtures of glucose and fructose. Fructose is absorbed directly into the bloodstream ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose#Fructose_digestion_and_absorption_in_humans), and it cannot be broken into glucose by the liver which can only use it to build fat, similar to how it treats alcohol.

As to starvation mode. It is a thing. Like I mentioned before, abdominal fat is the body's emergency energy storage. It is the last thing it will give up. Especially if you are eating very little.
  • smolmaus
    Options

Sugar is made of mixtures of glucose and fructose. Fructose is absorbed directly into the bloodstream ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose#Fructose_digestion_and_absorption_in_humans), and it cannot be broken into glucose by the liver which can only use it to build fat, similar to how it treats alcohol.

As to starvation mode. It is a thing. Like I mentioned before, abdominal fat is the body's emergency energy storage. It is the last thing it will give up. Especially if you are eating very little.

Nothing in that wiki supports the liver turning "sugar" directly into fat and treating other nutrients differently. In fact:

"In a meta-analysis of clinical trials with controlled feeding — where test subjects were fed a fixed amount of energy rather than being allowed to choose the amount they ate — fructose was not an independent factor for weight gain; however, fructose consumption was associated with weight gain when the fructose provided excess calories"

All fat is the body's emergency energy storage. Do you mean brown fat or the internal fat surrounding your organs when you say "abdominal fat"? Because that is true. Your beer belly is not that.
  • orenshani7
    edited November 2018
    Options

Nothing in that wiki supports the liver turning "sugar" directly into fat and treating other nutrients differently. In fact:

"In a meta-analysis of clinical trials with controlled feeding — where test subjects were fed a fixed amount of energy rather than being allowed to choose the amount they ate — fructose was not an independent factor for weight gain; however, fructose consumption was associated with weight gain when the fructose provided excess calories"

All fat is the body's emergency energy storage. Do you mean brown fat or the internal fat surrounding your organs when you say "abdominal fat"? Because that is true. Your beer belly is not that.

Ok agreed. No single factor determines weight gain or loss. It's complicated. True.
  • smolmaus
    Options
    Ok agreed. No single factor determines weight gain or loss. It's complicated. True.

If you don't have any citations for the liver turning sugar directly into fat, can you at least share where you got that idea from?
  • orenshani7
    Options

If you don't have any citations for the liver turning sugar directly into fat, can you at least share where you got that idea from?

Well Google up "Fructolysis" and you will find many references. But OK, here is one:
    http://gardenandplate.com/fructolysis.html

Now "directly to fat" was maybe inappropriate, as there is, of course, a very complex chemical process at play here.

And here is where "I got the idea form":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4Q9Iv7_Ao
  • smolmaus
    Options
    That source also says that fructose is only converted to fatty acids when the liver has no further need for glycogen, i.e the calories from the fructose are excess. It is metabolised differently but nowhere in either that "gardentoplate" article or the wikipedia article does it say that this is something that should be avoided, that leads to increased weight gain over other forms of carbohydrate or that it's harmful in anyway.

RE: that video, I can't believe I got through 12 minutes of it but it is fear mongering as heck, does not present any sort of empirical data and has a very clear agenda. I stopped when it said "And that explains the obesity crisis". Oversimplified, cherry-picking and not at all clear on the science. Please do not take nutritional advice from youtube clickbait.
  • orenshani7
    Options
    That source also says that fructose is only converted to fatty acids when the liver has no further need for glycogen, i.e the calories from the fructose are excess. It is metabolised differently but nowhere in either that "gardentoplate" article or the wikipedia article does it say that this is something that should be avoided, that leads to increased weight gain over other forms of carbohydrate or that it's harmful in anyway.

RE: that video, I can't believe I got through 12 minutes of it but it is fear mongering as heck, does not present any sort of empirical data and has a very clear agenda. I stopped when it said "And that explains the obesity crisis". Oversimplified, cherry-picking and not at all clear on the science. Please do not take nutritional advice from youtube clickbait.

Are you working for "Coca-Cola" or something? Just kidding...

You are probably right and "Sugar is the enemy" is just as credible as "Cholesterol is the enemy" used to be.

Anyways, @kariemi and all, look. The main point is this: Your body is a very complex thing, and every body is different. What I suggested above works for me, and has some evidential support (although it may be put in doubt). It may not work for you. If it doesn't, try the exact opposite, or something else. Whatever you do, just never give up (@smolmaus can we agree on that at least?)