Lose weight = looking older??

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited October 2018
    lorrpb wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I've heard this many times and I just think this is the oddest way of thinking! It's all in your head. Some people associate a thinner face with age. But overall you will look younger when thinner. You will also FEEL younger and ACT younger because you have more energy.

...my new lines and wrinkles are all in my head? No, I assure you they are quite definitely on my face!

I look better, and I feel younger. But losing weight has definitely made me look older close-up. I can live with that.

Your post didn’t mention lines or wrinkles or anything specific that you felt makes you look older. You might just be noticing those features more since you’re probably scrutinizing your looks more closely, looking for evidence of weight loss.

Many people have complimented me on my looks after losing weight (150) beginning st 59. I’ve gotten many comments on my progress pics that I look so much younger now. Not a single person has remotely suggested I look older. I’m no beauty queen and have my share of wrinkles too.

It's true we tend to focus only on the things we dislike about our appearance, whereas others see the whole person. But, I also think it's unlikely anyone who would say, my god you look so much older. Unless they're incredibly rude!
  • vvyldvvitch
    vvyldvvitch Posts: 6 Member
    I've heard this many times and I just think this is the oddest way of thinking! It's all in your head. Some people associate a thinner face with age. But overall you will look younger when thinner. You will also FEEL younger and ACT younger because you have more energy.

...my new lines and wrinkles are all in my head? No, I assure you they are quite definitely on my face!

I look better, and I feel younger. But losing weight has definitely made me look older close-up. I can live with that.

Your post didn’t mention lines or wrinkles or anything specific that you felt makes you look older. You might just be noticing those features more since you’re probably scrutinizing your looks more closely, looking for evidence of weight loss.

Many people have complimented me on my looks after losing weight (150) beginning st 59. I’ve gotten many comments on my progress pics that I look so much younger now. Not a single person has remotely suggested I look older. I’m no beauty queen and have my share of wrinkles too.

It's true we tend to focus only on the things we dislike about our appearance, whereas others see the whole person. But, I also think it's unlikely anyone who would say, my god you look so much older. Unless they're incredibly rude!

I agree with that, but people will certainly say it to each other when you're gone!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I think I looked more “mature” when I was obese/overweight. Added some pix for comparison (no filters) and here’s my weight in each pic:

Upper left 209 lbs
    Lower left 189 lbs
    Upper right 164 lbs
    Lower right 167 lbs

I’ve been maintaining around 167 lbs for 5 years (height 5’11”) and I just turned 44 last week. Health is my number one priority and feeling like my body is strong and capable is the goal I strive for. I’ll gladly accept the wrinkles that occur as the result of a life well lived :)
    fqnpchavlc1e.jpeg

Mmm... no, you look older on the right side - top especially.

I’m wearing the least amount of makeup in that pic, I wonder if that makes a difference! :D
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

I agree with that, but people will certainly say it to each other when you're gone!

Probably :)
  • Sunrain2018
    Sunrain2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Not always.. There are many factors involved.. In my family (mother’s side) for example all the females look younger when thin and older when weight has been gained whether they are young or old. So far this has held true for me as well.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    I think the chubby cheeks can make some look cute ,while the thin face can look fierce. Not on everyone , but I’ve seen some thin women that scare me because they look so boney..... we are are own worst critics and whoever created the mirror should be shot 🤔
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I imagine a good deal of the comes with the individual weight loss plan. I talk to a number of people and find most look more youthful after losing weight, but they also implemented some manner of progressive resistance and gained a good amount of muscle - maintaining the aesthetic ratio.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I imagine a good deal of the comes with the individual weight loss plan. I talk to a number of people and find most look more youthful after losing weight, but they also implemented some manner of progressive resistance and gained a good amount of muscle - maintaining the aesthetic ratio.

How does lifting help how someone's face looks after weight loss?
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member

The tanning beds temporarily disguise the wrinklage.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member

Purely anecdotal, but I think exercise (not necessarily just strength) could help, for some people.

I've noticed that some friends who materially increased fitness look as if their skin fits a little more snugly. To the extent that droopage is aging, I think exercise may help some people.

Suspect it's individual, though.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    I think the chubby cheeks can make some look cute ,while the thin face can look fierce. Not on everyone , but I’ve seen some thin women that scare me because they look so boney..... we are are own worst critics and whoever created the mirror should be shot 🤔

Agree. I have 30 lbs to lose to reach goal weight, which will be on the low average for my height @42years, only that I highly doubt that my cheeks are going anywhere. I will be 135-136 lbs at 6ft, with cheeks like Devon Aoki. Shrugs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

I was thinking about the whole person as opposed to just the face. I am also considering the individual outlook and demeanor - the feeling of accomplishment that comes with success and the impact this has on posture, poise, and confidence.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member

All that tensing, straining, and grunting really works the facial muscles and keeps them lifted :) I wish :(

Cheers, h.

I think lifting has made the veins on my neck more prominent... :/
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Purely anecdotal, but I think exercise (not necessarily just strength) could help, for some people.

I've noticed that some friends who materially increased fitness look as if their skin fits a little more snugly. To the extent that droopage is aging, I think exercise may help some people.

I wish Ann, I wish! I started exercising when I started losing weight. Now I am one of the lucky ones who came out of a very large loss with a tight neck, but my face? Notsomuch. I carried a lot of extra weight in my face when I was obese and it just ... deflated.
  • GottaBurnEmAll

I was thinking about the whole person as opposed to just the face. I am also considering the individual outlook and demeanor - the feeling of accomplishment that comes with success and the impact this has on posture, poise, and confidence.

Ah, gotcha. I do think, that for me, my body looks younger than it used to, and I feel younger than I used to. But man, the area where my cheeks deflated?