November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe welcome back. If the reason you left a few years ago was due to the volume of posts in this thread, well uh, I'm afraid to tell you, they are probably 2x that now :D
    But we still are all supportive and willing to help. Good luck with your training (and keeping up with the posts)
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Thanks @Scott6255 - I had noticed there were a lot more threads. I have to be honest and admit whilst the volume of threads did get on top of me, getting into a new relationship and thus losing my "free" time was the underlying reason.

NB: That relationship still going strong, but I've recently ditched facebook and other soul-sucking social media sites so can spend time places like here which actually have positive effect!

I deleted Facebook about 3 years ago. BEST DECISION EVER!
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    First of all -- I am so glad I found this thread. I feel such accountability here.

Tomorrow is the EARLY BIRD TURKEY TROT 5K. It will be a balmy 35 degrees, not looking forward to this... I'm from the South, we don't handle cold well :D My running partner has developed strep throat, so looks like I will be solo. Not a huge deal, but I do enjoy the commute with her -we actually run apart.

Good luck tomorrow and have fun! :)
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a break since Wednesday that will hopefully only last until Monday to try to give my knee and hamstring a break so it can actually heal... Because unfortunately, no matter how much I want it to, running through an injury doesn't make it heal stronger. I probably won't attempt another 6 miles, let alone 10 miles this month, but next month I can focus on slowly increasing mileage the way I should have this month...

Good call, C! Hope you are feeling 100% soon!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @dkabambe! As @Scott6255 mentioned we are still a very busy, chatty group. I do think we are now maybe more international with some folks in Europe, Asia and Australia.
    Congratulations on finishing the London Marathon!!

Welcome to the group @kevsangb - we have several who are following C25K too.

@ddmom0811 - yah I couldn't give up lifting, I just love feeling strong and being able to do things people don't expect me to be able to do :lol: We even worked it in when I broke my arm as well as when I had the surgery on my hand. Those times it was all lower body focused and this time more core and upper body!

@Beka3695 - I love having a race to work toward and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards!

@sarahthes - I am right there with you on the retail therapy! I spent a couple of hours yesterday reading up on different shoes to replace my Topo's but have not found any yet. I really want to keep in the 0 drop realm but other than Altra's which I have a love hate relationship with, most of the traditional running shoes the doctor would like me to use, seem to have 10-12 drop.

@youngcaseyr - you might look into doing some exercises while you are resting, to strengthen your hips and glutes. It made a huge difference for me at least in getting rid of a nagging hamstring issue.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 - your bearded is beautiful! I also love how Hermie is smiling! Looks like such a happy pup! Can I ask how he ended up being fostered?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I love your dragon!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I probably need an 8-10mm drop. Current trail shoes are 4mm and there's a decent chance that contributed to my foot problems since my primary road shoe is a 10mm drop.