November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - I was looking at road shoes but both Brooks and Asics neutral shoes were in the 10mm drop range.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @shanaber @sarahthes I have Brooks trail shoes and dislike them for running. My faves are my saucony trail. I don't have the model names with me right now. 😕
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @shanaber @sarahthes @RunsOnEspresso i have saucony xodus gtx. i love them but 4mm. they keep my feet dry over winter.
    i don't feel like the saucony road shoes last. but these are holding up well
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @shanaber @sarahthes I have Brooks trail shoes and dislike them for running. My faves are my saucony trail. I don't have the model names with me right now. 😕

I also really dislike my Brooks trail shoes (Cascadia), although I love my Brooks road shoes.

Right now I'm alternating between Altra Timps and Salomon Speedcross 4. The Timps are zero drop and far from giving me problems due to a bigger drop than my road shoes, they seem to give my feet a much needed break. The Speedcross are definitely a love it or hate it shoe - they have really aggressive lugs which are great on turf, but they are not at all an option for mixed road/trail - on roads they feel like running in cleats.

Husband runs in Saucony Peregrines and loves them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    HALF MARATHON DAY! I have arrived at the start! I'm an hour early haha. The drive took way shorter than I expected cause no traffic at all. I slept OK last night, got about 5hrs maybe.

Tell you what, there is a real party atmosphere already. They have music playing and it just seems fun. It's perfect weather, clear skies, cool but not cold. No wind at all. I'm so excited!

YAY!!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @shanaber my road shoes are Asics Kayanos (I have 2 pairs). They work really well for me.

@RunsOnEspresso My trail shoes are Saucony Peregrin Ice+7. 4mm drop though, and the week I hurt myself (the first time) I went for a 10km trail run, then ran 8 km in my 6mm 'fast' shoes.

@mbaker566 My Saucony road shoes seemed to die around 300 km. Blah. Never again.

@rheddmobile Typically I don't need to run on road to get to trail - there's parking lots or grassy shoulders if I have to take a sidewalk to a trailhead. Wonder how the Speedcross would do in snow & ice? I like my Peregrines but have concerns they're exacerbating my foot issues.

@Avidkeo GOOD LUCK!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes i only got 250 before they started to hurt
    my xodus are up to 300 and still feel good
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @mbaker566 My Saucony road shoes seemed to die around 300 km. Blah. Never again.
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Wow. You do not want to know how far my current Saucony Ride 9s have gone... give you a hint, I picked up a replacement pair back in July on sale and have not opened the box yet... :)
  • sarahthes
    Options

Wow. You do not want to know how far my current Saucony Ride 9s have gone... give you a hint, I picked up a replacement pair back in July on sale and have not opened the box yet... :)

I have Hurricanes (they are now my every day shoe). I thought I was injured back in the spring because of the shin & ankle pain I was having. Nope, shin splints due to wear! I had owned them less than 6 months. I know I am obese so harder on shoes than someone who is not, but they shouldn't die that quickly.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I have Hurricanes (they are now my every day shoe). I thought I was injured back in the spring because of the shin & ankle pain I was having. Nope, shin splints due to wear! I had owned them less than 6 months. I know I am obese so harder on shoes than someone who is not, but they shouldn't die that quickly.

This is very much a case of "do not do as I do" :D If your shoes causing a problem CHANGE is definitely the right answer. No matter the make/model/brand - and especially no matter how well they work for anyone else.
  • sarahthes
    Options

This is very much a case of "do not do as I do" :D If your shoes causing a problem CHANGE is definitely the right answer. No matter the make/model/brand - and especially no matter how well they work for anyone else.

Truth! When I ask for recommendations I'm more looking to hear what people like & dislike about a shoe so I can keep those things in mind to watch out for as potential issues.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    @PastorVincent Also, given how old your shoes are maybe that's why they're lasting so long! The newer models just don't hold up as well as they used to... ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Also, given how old your shoes are maybe that's why they're lasting so long! The newer models just don't hold up as well as they used to... ;)

My current pair is probably getting ready to consider a change honestly. They are pretty much slicks now and ice is coming so yeah. Probably should change them. At some point. Maybe.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I had a lightbulb moment this morning on my way home after my run. I've been beating myself up for a few runs now about the fact that I seem to be running faster than my very conservative (self-imposed so I shouldn't hurt anything) HM target pace and can't slow down. I really do try to make myself go slower but it just doesn't happen. Then it suddenly dawned on me..... maybe all this training is just making me faster? I think I prefer that theory to the "I'm so useless I can't pace myself" one!
    This might be true. How are you feeling at that pace-could you have a conversation? What is your breathing like? (If you track heart rate, how does it compare?)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes I don't think thats the model saucony I have.

@rheddmobile I think my trails might be cascadia. Sounds familiar.