Anybody else get tired of counting calories?

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    oat_bran wrote: »

I really don't understand how people here take "only a fe minutes to log". Most of my meals are made from scratch and contain many ingredients. So I have to weigh every one of them every time I cook and log it while I'm cooking or preparing my meal to eat later. Which takes quite a lot of time in my opinion. If I include the time I spend on grocery planning to fit my goals, meal planning, weighing separately the ingredients for my every meal (3-5times a day), or looking for the closest estimates when I don't know the exact calories, logging it, making sure it fits my goal etc. it takes much more time than "a few minutes" and much more energy and headspace than I want to spend on t.

I cook a lot of stuff from scratch and it still only takes a couple of mins to log each day - I have almost all my recipes for things I regularly make in My Recipes, if I change the ingredients or the amounts of the ingredients it literally takes about 30 seconds to update it in the app. Sure it takes a couple of mins the first time that I make something but at this point I have probably close to 100 recipes in there.

I agree. I make 90 percent of what I eat from scratch. Things that are recipes are saved as recipes. Things that are just "toss a bunch of ingredients together" have ingredients that I use all the time. I start typing it in, it pops up, and I just make sure I've got the right ingredient weight entered.

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't mind counting calories, and I think I know why; I see results! If it wasn't working for me or I was measuring by guessing and not seeing results I'm sure I'd be sick of it, but after all this time I'm still okay with it. In the beginning it bugged me but now with weight loss I'm happy
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Weighing & logging is “hard”? Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

I didnt say it was hard...I said it gets tiresome. I really dont appreciate your "tough love" attitude. I just wanted some " positive" reinforcement.

Positive reinforcement is when people praise you for the good aspects of your behavior, rather than criticizing you for the bad part of your behavior.

It's great that you're thinking about the aspects of this process that you don't like and maybe creating an avenue for people who have also used the process to offer some insight.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Getting tired of logging everything I eat...there has to be an easier way!

Yeah... I feel it makes think food all the time.. and I feel I get obsessed sometimes
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I never had a weight problem until I slowly gained weight in my late 30s. I lost 15-20 lbs and have been maintaining for a couple of years.

I spend 5 minutes or less logging my food everyday. Prepping food is just making it ahead of time instead of making it at meal time, I don't really think it takes extra time. I just do it when I'm more relaxed and have more time, as opposed to eating out or trying to make good choices when I'm hungry or rushed. I suppose weighing out a portion takes more times that just eyeballing, but I don't think it takes more time than measuring.

I don't mind it. It's taken most of the guessing and worrying out of eating for me. It has given me a measure of control that has changed my relationship with food. It's very little work considering what I've gained.

Thank you for your answer. You nailed it!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Logging and weighing has given me great results. Therefore I shall keep on doing it. And when I think about getting lazy the good voice waps me up the side of the head and says log now. I love to cook, so am using the recipe recorder all of the time. Finding that handy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I really am quite fine using measuring spoons for oil in the pan. Sometimes I'm sure it's a little more than what I log, sometimes I'm sure it's a little less. Over time, I'm guessing that it evens out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Rayvis1014 wrote: »
    This is going to sound bizarre, but I actually find logging to be freeing rather than restrictive. Before I was logging I knew I had gained weight so every time I ate something I felt guilty, like "Oh, I shouldn't be eating this cookie." Now I know I can eat the cookie because I planned for it. Knowing I can have dessert later (because I pre-logged it) helps me turn away the stale donuts at work. There is no more internal struggle about it. But I know that's not how it works for everyone. I'm only sharing my experience because it's a different mindset, which some people may find helpful.

It's not bizarre at all. That's how i feel about budgeting. I love budgeting and it makes spending money so much less stressful. I don't feel guilty spending money on XYZ because I had saved up money for it. lol.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If logging is something you find helpful to sustain your goals.. log away!

People have lost weight and maintained it long before MFP or the web, etc... came into existence.

If it's a tool you find helpful - use it. Just be cautious in believing someone can not be successful long term by not.