WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    marycilec wrote: »
    New member here, just started today, 51 yo wife and mom, 200 pounds, 5 feet tall. Working on a Lifetime Wellness college class, where a friend recommended me to join MFP. I do not add sugar nor salt to anything, but fruit has lots of sugar to begin with. Gave up pop, and aspartame this month. Started walking 30 minutes per day at slow pace, and 1 pound weights for 30 minutes weight lifting. My goal is 140 pounds. Thanksgiving was nice, didn't overeat.

:) Welcome. You have come to the right place. It sounds like you've made a great start on this journey to wellness. It has helped me to come back to this thread every day and join in the conversation. Interacting with people who share my goals has been a big part of my staying on track for a long time. Tell us more about yourself and ask any questions or comment on what others have said. Tell us a name to call you and some info about where you live.

:) Barbie from NW Washington

• prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    ❤️
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Heather, your Christmas cake sounds like it's going to be scrumptious. I made a fruit cake a few years back that I really enjoyed -- it kept for quite a long time too. ^_^ Good thing, because I was the only one eating it. :D The hubs kinda liked it but it was a little "strong" for him. hahaha! I might make one again some day, I haven't baked in a while (it's a long story, but the long and the short of it is, no working oven). One day though. One day. ^_^

Willow in WA USA
  • PressingPatience
    marycilec wrote: »
    New member here, just started today, 51 yo wife and mom, 200 pounds, 5 feet tall. Working on a Lifetime Wellness college class, where a friend recommended me to join MFP. I do not add sugar nor salt to anything, but fruit has lots of sugar to begin with. Gave up pop, and asperatame this month. Started walking 30 minutes per day at slow pace, and 1 pound weights for 30 minutes weight lifting. My goal is 140 pounds. Thanksgiving was nice, didn't overeat.

I gave up soda for a while too. Didn't drink it for almost five years. Then one day, I just craved a Diet Coke, and I don't even know why. And bam! I was drinking Diet Coke again. It's the only stuff I drink. I've cut down to one single serve Diet Coke a day... I wish you have better luck than me. That stuff is quite addicting. ^_^

Willow from WA USA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    Lisa - you can't beat the feeling of a potential employer WANTING you, especially after unwarranted criticism from a current employer that really stings. I'm not sure I could meet up with that "former" employer for an exit interview without unloading a bit, lol. So I'd prefer to skip it or Skype it. Whatever you decide, you'll handle it professionally.

Karen in VA - you also can't beat being appreciated by your CEO and "team". How wonderful you'll be able to transition into retirement... will you be available for emergency staffing after you've hit the big 6-5? Bet they'd love to have you even if it's only a day or two now and then.

NYKaren
    - so glad your daughter made it home safe and sound. Keep us posted on her long-range romance, lol. Sounds exciting whether anything comes of it or not. What a great experience for her studying abroad for a while.

Barbie - that list of all the expensive challenges at your house is mind-boggling. So glad you meditate and could handle everything with finesse. I too envision you all bundled up and "puffy" as you walk your dogs. B) Add a raincoat tomorrow!

Pip
    - Kirby will love that smart TV! Do your dogs watch it? Mine love and "talk to" animals they see there, our older dog takes a toy up them.

Sue in WA - hope your DH's oral chemo drugs do the trick. Did you say he'll be taking anti-nausea drugs as well?

Heather - you must have been waiting for the right time to sell that old wedding ring. How nice you have it and can exchange it for money!

Thanksgiving was very nice. I went to my BFF's and enjoyed seeing everyone - her family - who have "adopted" us over the years so we are always invited to Thanksgiving and Christmas. The past couple years I've skipped because DH never wants to go. I decided this year I'd go without him - wise since he's always chomping at the bit to get home. He was OK with it as his RA is really flaring. Brought him home a plate.

Anyhow, I am reminded how grateful we are to have been, well, placed into this wonderful extended family and their generous friendship. They will look over us and care for us as we age.

I decided to do more closet cleanout and was surprised to find a brand new quarter zip pullover, tags still on it. It was on my next week "Eddie Bauer" outlet shopping trip - they always have huge sales. Anyhow I must have picked it up a year or two ago. Saved me a trip and some $$. I have basically gotten rid of all my old dressier clothes and sweaters. Many of them were turtlenecks which I can't stand - make me hot (why did I buy them and suffer? Sheesh). Or they were just plain too big. So transitioning to quarter zip pullovers.

Regarding that cat/hanging Christmas tree jpg, we gave up having a tree years ago because Angry Cat (a rescue, no good deed goes unpunished :( ) would knock the decorations off and get tangled in the lights. She finally became ill two years ago (I didn't poison her, really!) and we had her put to sleep and haven't been in the mood to put up a tree again. Our "outdoor" kitty who was displaced by Angry Cat is now back in the house on cold days, purring and happy.

Had X-ray of bum shoulder last Wednesday, tummy started to hurt from the Celebrex anti-inflammatory, so pulled out my bottle of Curamin from the health food store. It has Bowsellian, special Curcumin and several other ingredients that do a bang-up job. Takes three capsules a day and is spendy. Glad I had some on hand and will watch for sales to keep a good supply on hand. Anyhow, that plus ice and PT exercises, I think I'm on the mend. Will be curious if the X-ray shows anything.

Also my foot metatarsalgia flaring up, drat. So I consulted with Dr. Youtube yesterday and realized I can tape it! Placed an order with Amazon for Kinesiology tape. Won't be the first time I've taped toes with success so hoping it is delivered today, but for sure tomorrow. No walking I'm afraid until I get that toe under control. :(

Enough about me. B) Welcome new ladies!

Lanette
    Sunny and frosty SW WA State
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    #25 moment-well that’s an easy one today :) Hugging DD upon her arrival this morning. Just squeezing that little sliver of a human being made my heart grow 5Xs bigger! She’s a little sad, I can tell and will hopefully share details as we go along, I’ve learned not to ask too many questions or she just clams up.

I love watching people greet their loved ones in the airport—makes me cry.

Kelly. Taking time off from working with little ones is vital to your professional health. I’m glad you take that time to recover and renew. I don’t know what I would do without summer :#B)

NYKAREN
  • PressingPatience
    edited November 2018
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lisa

Regarding that cat/hanging Christmas tree jpg, we gave up having a tree years ago because Angry Cat (a rescue, no good deed goes unpunished :( ) would knock the decorations off and get tangled in the lights. She finally became ill two years ago (I didn't poison her, really!) and we had her put to sleep and haven't been in the mood to put up a tree again. Our "outdoor" kitty who was displaced by Angry Cat is now back in the house on cold days, purring and happy.

Lanette

That's too bad (about the cat and the tree). We put ours up on a table and our cat is too old and fat to jump up on the table to get at it. The dogs ignore the tree altogether.
    My Mister (old, fat cat) -- he's 11 years old and weighs about 19 pounds (~8.6 kg)
    ve1fg0d6j68p.jpg

Willow in WA USA

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓💞💖👍
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Afternoon chica's
    Oh I am as Heather would say knackered....have a load of laundry in the dryer one in the wash and have the bed made and a dog stuck next to me..life is good.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lisa - you can't beat the feeling of a potential employer WANTING you, especially after unwarranted criticism from a current employer that really stings. I'm not sure I could meet up with that "former" employer for an exit interview without unloading a bit, lol. So I'd prefer to skip it or Skype it. Whatever you decide, you'll handle it professionally.

Karen in VA - you also can't beat being appreciated by your CEO and "team". How wonderful you'll be able to transition into retirement... will you be available for emergency staffing after you've hit the big 6-5? Bet they'd love to have you even if it's only a day or two now and then.

NYKaren
    - so glad your daughter made it home safe and sound. Keep us posted on her long-range romance, lol. Sounds exciting whether anything comes of it or not. What a great experience for her studying abroad for a while.

Barbie - that list of all the expensive challenges at your house is mind-boggling. So glad you meditate and could handle everything with finesse. I too envision you all bundled up and "puffy" as you walk your dogs. B) Add a raincoat tomorrow!

Pip
    - Kirby will love that smart TV! Do your dogs watch it? Mine love and "talk to" animals they see there, our older dog takes a toy up them.

Sue in WA - hope your DH's oral chemo drugs do the trick. Did you say he'll be taking anti-nausea drugs as well?

Heather - you must have been waiting for the right time to sell that old wedding ring. How nice you have it and can exchange it for money!

Thanksgiving was very nice. I went to my BFF's and enjoyed seeing everyone - her family - who have "adopted" us over the years so we are always invited to Thanksgiving and Christmas. The past couple years I've skipped because DH never wants to go. I decided this year I'd go without him - wise since he's always chomping at the bit to get home. He was OK with it as his RA is really flaring. Brought him home a plate.

Anyhow, I am reminded how grateful we are to have been, well, placed into this wonderful extended family and their generous friendship. They will look over us and care for us as we age.

I decided to do more closet cleanout and was surprised to find a brand new quarter zip pullover, tags still on it. It was on my next week "Eddie Bauer" outlet shopping trip - they always have huge sales. Anyhow I must have picked it up a year or two ago. Saved me a trip and some $$. I have basically gotten rid of all my old dressier clothes and sweaters. Many of them were turtlenecks which I can't stand - make me hot (why did I buy them and suffer? Sheesh). Or they were just plain too big. So transitioning to quarter zip pullovers.

Had X-ray of bum shoulder last Wednesday, tummy started to hurt from the Celebrex anti-inflammatory, so pulled out my bottle of Curamin from the health food store. It has Bowsellian, special Curcumin and several other ingredients that do a bang-up job. Takes three capsules a day and is spendy. Glad I had some on hand and will watch for sales to keep a good supply on hand. Anyhow, that plus ice and PT exercises, I think I'm on the mend. Will be curious if the X-ray shows anything.

Also my foot metatarsalgia flaring up, drat. So I consulted with Dr. Youtube yesterday and realized I can tape it! Placed an order with Amazon for Kinesiology tape. Won't be the first time I've taped toes with success so hoping it is delivered today, but for sure tomorrow. No walking I'm afraid until I get that toe under control. :(

Enough about me. B) Welcome new ladies!

Lanette

unfortunately, they don't watch, I'm bummed they don't howl either at the sound of a fire truck
  • pipcd34
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Congrats on the smart TV. Tell us about it. :star:

Sue: Happy Birthday to DH! :smiley:

Marycilec: Welcome!

Barbara; We have fog today. I wonder whether your beach walk was foggy. I enjoy foggy walks at the beach & count you lucky. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I would love to hear about how you make your Christmas Cake. Do you share your recipe? :huh:

Lisa: I hope your trip goes well and you end up feeling positive. Your Sally Field moment is well deserved. :star:

Rita: Your sky is beautiful! :heart:

Heather: I’m sorry about your rough night, but delighted with your walk with DH and your new driver’s license. WTG!!! :smiley:

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving with our niece, her bf, and her youngest son. It was a delightful dinner, and on a day my son has dubbed Saturkey Day. In his thinking, Thanksgiving is for immediate family, and Saturkey Day is a celebration with friends and family. On Thursday I had a little private pout that we were so far from our kids, and had no one to share a Thanksgiving feast with, but yesterday was a huge step in the right direction. We had our feast with our niece & family and enjoyed every bit of it. :heart: They'll be back in a few weeks for the Christmas Ships parade.

#25: “What moment this week are you most grateful for?

How can I possibly choose? I have a list that includes calls from our kids and dinner with our niece, her SO, and her youngest son. I think giving her youngest son the recipe for Paula Deen’s Pumpkin bars is my favorite moment. With one ingredient trade, it becomes FodMAP friendly, and he can have it and enjoy cake again. The one ingredient change is to replace all-purpose flour with Gluten free all-purpose flour. I sent him home with an unopened pouch of the gf flour and a printout of the recipe.

Katla in beautiful and foggy NW Oregon

kirby wanted it, I could tell, I couldn't care less. it's hard to say no to someone that is so good to me
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip: Congrats on the smart TV. Tell us about it. :star:

Sue: Happy Birthday to DH! :smiley:

Marycilec: Welcome!

Barbara: We have fog today. I wonder whether your beach walk was foggy. I enjoy foggy walks at the beach & count you lucky. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I would love to hear about how you make your Christmas Cake. Do you share your recipe? :huh: I’m sorry about your rough night, but delighted with your walk with DH and your new driver’s license. WTG!!! :smiley:

Lisa: I hope your trip goes well and you end up feeling positive. Your Sally Field moment is well deserved. :star:

Rita: Your sky is beautiful! :heart:

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving with our niece, her bf, and her youngest son. It was a delightful dinner, and on a day my son has dubbed Saturkey Day. In his thinking, Thanksgiving is for immediate family, and Saturkey Day is a celebration with friends and family. On Thursday I had a little private pout that we were so far from our kids, and had no one to share a Thanksgiving feast with, but yesterday was a huge step in the right direction. We had our feast with family and enjoyed every bit of it. :heart:

“What moment this week are you most grateful for?

How can I possibly choose? I have a list that includes calls from our kids and dinner with our niece, her SO, and her youngest son. I think giving her youngest son the recipe for Paula Deen’s Pumpkin bars is my favorite moment. With one ingredient trade, it becomes FodMAP friendly, and he can have it and enjoy cake again. The one ingredient change is to replace all-purpose flour with Gluten free all-purpose flour. I sent him home with an unopened pouch of the gf flour and a printout of the recipe.

Katla in beautiful and foggy NW Oregon

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited November 2018
    My 'moment' today - I emailed my DDIL and son to ask if we could touch base with the grandchildren this coming week. I suggested picking the two older ones up from school and taking them back to their house where Bea will be with the nanny. My son immediately rang me to say Monday was a brilliant idea :D:D:D:D:D
    As DDIL is working in London, I can go out and get fish and chips for dinner for the three of us. :D:D:D<3<3<3 As the fish shop owes me a large cod and chips because of their botched order the other week, that will be a reasonably priced dinner. Neither my son nor I will be eating chips anyway. (Fries) So two more large cod. (They are HUGE). We will have mushy peas. He has a pickled egg and I have a pickled onion.
    Can't wait to see the kids. It is about a half hour walk to the school gates from here.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx

Katla - the recipe is from a book called 'Cakes for Romantic Occasions' that I found on Amazon. I have made the Rich Fruit Cake and the Chocolate Fudge Cake many times and in many sizes. I like the book because she gives amounts and cook times for all the sizes, so no guess work. None of it is slimming, but I don't eat it anyway. DH will eat nearly all of it. He loves Christmas cake. I enjoy making it, putting on the marzipan and royal icing and adding all the traditional decorations. :laugh:

• pipcd34
    Ppppp