November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I am appalled by what Skip and you have had to endure. I hope you do some good with that track program. Just horrible. Hugs to you and Skip. I'm heartbroken that her experience was so horrible, yet so very thankful she had you to turn too.

Definitely add you and Skip to my prayers.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    1125-6.4k total-50.6k, goal-100k

An hour on the dreadmill yesterday. Have a weird knee pain where I smashed it into asphalt last year falling off a bike. No idea why, I thought it had healed long ago.

@skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear about all that. Not enough words to express the sympathy. Hope she can take the time at home to regroup and recover.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---2.24 intervals
    3---5.24 walk with DD
    4---5.49 walk with DD
    6---2.29 intervals
    11---2.0 tm
    15---2.05 tm
    18--2.0 tm
    22---4.46 walk
    22---1.01 run
    23---4.89 walk
    23---1.01 run
    24---1.01 run
    24---5.60 mtn bike
    25---1 TM

34.7/65 miles
    12.7 miles cycling

Upcoming Maybe Races

December 1st Dinosaur Valley Endurance Run. 5 Mile Glen Rose TX
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    November goal: 75 miles

11/1: 4.1 miles
    11/4: 8 miles
    11/6: 4.2 miles
    11/7: 4.6 miles
    11/8: 3.1 miles
    11/10: 3.2 miles Wags & Whiskers 5K - 1st place female/3rd overall
    11/13: 4.1 miles
    11/14: 3.6 miles
    11/15: 4.1 miles
    11/18: 8.1 miles
    11/20: 3.5 miles
    11/21: 5.1 miles
    11/22: 4 miles
    11/25: 7 miles

66.7/75 miles completed

I ran 7 miles today. I was sort of dreading the run. It was about 54F, but there were 20-22 mph NNW winds so it felt pretty cold. I think wind may be my least favorite type of weather so I wasn't looking forward to running in it. I wore long pants and a jacket and gloves plus a headband to cover my ears. It worked pretty well, but I really do need to invest in some sleeves. Overall it was a good run. It is really hard to run in wind like that so I felt pretty good about myself for doing it. I was slower than usual, but I kind of expected that. I should be able to reach my goal for this month, but I sure do hope that this wind dies down some.

@skippygirlsmom I am so sorry to hear about Skip's problems at school this semester. I am so glad that she was able to go to you about it. Prayers and hugs to both of you.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K - 30.05 official time - 1st place female/3rd overall
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Cute puppies are the best - sometimes even better than hugs! @mbaker566 are you going to keep this little cutie?

Nope, i have him a few extra days since he has a cough. He's got a few people interested in him.
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I'll make a better post later.
    Turkey trot complete. 1000s of people. No pr but my friends ran their first 8k. This was my first race and first 8k a few years back too.
    I'm on day 3 of my streak. Doing the rw streak. Snowstorm in the forecast for tomorrow.
    8l8af8arh49n.jpg

My friend finishing
    fp259js2552g.jpg

Cinnamon rolls instead of medals
    qsjo8btujv28.jpg

Yesterday's mile we techless. Today i did it in my trot shirt
    7kquw90a7tqs.jpg

Dogs for dogs sake
    rd8l89jvw9kx.jpg
    to2n6vzv4wmf.jpg
    m05szgqsqxcr.jpg

@mbaker566 Wait, they gave out cinnamon rolls instead of medals? That is my kind of race. ;) Great job!

Oh, cute puppies!!!!

Yes, they do.
    Another race they host gives out caramel apples, and hot cider in a collectible mug

I'm more than happy to take as many photos of the dogs as needed @skippygirlsmom
    Having been bullied and having had made some imperfect choices, i can commiserate.

@PastorVincent that's his concentration face. His smile lights up a room. My other friend looked even rougher.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Do you foster dogs?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So sorry you and Skip had to go through all that you did. That's awful! You're right. We do all and have made mistakes and poor decisions. The key is to learn from the experiences and try to move on as best you can. It sounds like you are both doing that. I will keep you both in my prayers.
    Had one of my best runs this morning in awhile. Apparently the secret is to spend 10 hours on my feet the day before, eat a really late dinner the night before, followed by two margaritas, and skip breakfast in the morning.
    @biketheworld I may just have to try this!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    With hindsight the cow, railway, dog parts were pretty scary being on my own but GOD I LOVED THAT RUN lol.
    When can I go again?

:lol: We are a crazy bunch! Glad you did not end up cow food, or mama to new puppies at least! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent do you hands change colour when they get really cold? Do they go numb or tingly and painful when they warm up again? Could be Raynaud's?

So I looked it up

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

Maybe? I dunno that I noticed them go white/blue, but definitely red and definitely tingle/etc. It is pretty sudden too. I mean at 50F degrees I am fine no issues at all. At 45F it is too painful to continue.

But that Mayo clinic page pretty much says nothing can be done. So guess does not matter that much.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins re: hitting a wall - are you fueling at all? Because 14k is about when I really have to eat something or crash. I have a few gummies about mile 7 to give them time to kick in and it's much better after that.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    dewit wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm in! And will use this challenge to motivate me to run in the evenings on the days when I woun't be able to bike because of rain or snow.

I'll aim for 15 miles running and 215 miles biking. If the latter reduces I have to upgrade the former, to compensate ;-)

@dewit Welcome to the group. As a gambling man I bet $1.00 that those numbers will change - 215 miles running and 15 miles biking after we drag you over to the dark side. But if you had snow tires and screw cleats on your bike - snow & ice would never stop you from commuting.

Haha, I missed this comment of yours, @juliet3455 . How much time do I have, to prove you wrong? :smiley:

Judging by today and the forecast for the week, I'd better not bet at all, though: it was drizzling today, it still does, so I took the public transportation. I still sob. For tomorrow they announced light snowfall... Yet, the sun should come out on Wednesday, so I'll take revenge! Just have to come up quickly with plan B until then! So far, no real update:

11/20 - bike 18.7m (30k) in ~2hrs
    11/21 - run 3.7m (6k) in ~35min
    11/22 - bike 18.7m (30k)
    11/23 - bike 18.7m (30k)
    11/24 - home workout
    11/25 - ice skating (does that count as running? :smile: )

Cumulative: bike 56 miles / 90k + run 3.7 miles / 6k

Goal (for the 10 days of November that I have): 7.5 miles running + 90 miles biking.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I get Raynauds and it tends to be a change in temperature thing for me. So it’s less about what the actual outside temperature is, and more about the sudden drop. It doesn’t matter if it’s 12 degrees C or -35 degrees C, I can suddenly get an attack.

There is little that can be done. Some people try reducing caffeine as it’s a vasoconstrictor, but I like coffee. Come people have luck with using ‘wristies’ wrist warmers, which keep the veins in the wrists warmer and by extension keep the blood vessels in the fingers open longer than without. It’s also about management of your environment – I put my gloves on before getting in the car in winter (our winters are mild) , and even then it can take 20-30 minutes of the heater on to feel the tips of at least three of my fingers, and for them to go from pure white to ‘normal’.

given your heart history, having Raynaud's symptoms doesn't surprise me, even if that's not the actual cause.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I finally read your post. As a mom of 2 girls this makes me so angry!!!!!!!! I hope she is able to transfer to another school easily and with no penalty. I agree with you to not just let this go. Otherwise, this will continue. I would not want another child (young adult) to go thru what Skip has had to endure. Stand firm, Mama!!! Sending prayers your way!!!!!

@pastorvincent - nice kicks!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I get Raynauds and it tends to be a change in temperature thing for me. So it’s less about what the actual outside temperature is, and more about the sudden drop. It doesn’t matter if it’s 12 degrees C or -35 degrees C, I can suddenly get an attack.

There is little that can be done. Some people try reducing caffeine as it’s a vasoconstrictor, but I like coffee. Come people have luck with using ‘wristies’ wrist warmers, which keep the veins in the wrists warmer and by extension keep the blood vessels in the fingers open longer than without. It’s also about management of your environment – I put my gloves on before getting in the car in winter (our winters are mild) , and even then it can take 20-30 minutes of the heater on to feel the tips of at least three of my fingers, and for them to go from pure white to ‘normal’.

given your heart history, having Raynaud's symptoms doesn't surprise me, even if that's not the actual cause.

It just rang a bell with me because my mother's partner suffers with it and I know he is often in agony with his hands in the winter. Hand warmer thingys, gloves and pretty much put up with it was what the doctors told him :-(

@rheddmobile Well I run first thing in the morning with nothing more than coffee and a banana in me, but I take jelly babies on long runs and gulp one down every 15 minutes or so (which is probably actually total overkill but it seems to work for me) so I don't think it was a lack of fuelling wall. More just an OMG I've just covered more distance running than ever before, am caked in mud, have had encounters with growling cows and amorous dogs and now I have to get up that huge hill in front of me to get home! Next Sunday will be 16km (10 miles?) on the flat seafront so we'll see what happens then. I reckon though if I can plan it so I finish running near to home and not like 2 miles away down a big hill I should be ok!