Holiday Motivation- Pump It Up!

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Goal: 25 days (or more) out of 31 with some exercise

Count to date: 6 out of 25

Done to date:
    Nov 23: Yes - 36 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline
    Nov 24: Yes - 42 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline (finishing up last day of my exergame tour)
    Nov 25: Yes - 53 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 23 minutes up-up-down-down-ing on my step bench (*first day of a new "tour" in my Wii Walk It Out exergame - always hard to stop on Day 1!*)
    Nov 26: Yes - 43 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline
    Nov 27: Yes - 48 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline
    Nov 28: Yes - 47 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 5 bent-knee push ups and 15 tricep dips.
    Nov 29:
    Nov 30:

Dec 01:
    et al
    =========

• MontaukGirl1973
    MontaukGirl1973 Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2018
    OMG! I need to join a gym! This is my main problem! I have become a "Couch Potato!" I need to MOVE!
  • MoStacy
    MoStacy Posts: 98 Member
    Hi All!
    Marsim520 - I’m with you, it is more difficult during the winter, I’d rather be outside. BMcC9 had some GREAT suggestions. The gym helps me, plan on swimming indoors starting in Jan.

BMcC9 - I, unfortunately, have to be careful on the squats. I have been concentrating on free weights, weight machines focusing on arms, legs, abs. I do like the circuits that I found on Pinterest. I agree with the “lifestyle” approach as opposed to the sprint. I have lost 60 lbs in the last 11months, but things have slowed down dramatically in the last couple of months. I just appreciate MFP peeps like you, because it helps me stay on track.

RainyKatie- WELCOME! Hope this thread helps. Soooo jealous of the horse riding.

5spyl68aaezd.jpeg
  • MoStacy
    Done to date:
    Nov 23: Yes, walk 5k
    Nov 24: Yes, walk 5k
    Nov 25: Yes, 40min cardio, 30 min strength training
    Nov 26: Off
    Nov 27: Off
    Nov 28: 40 min cardio (treadmill, elliptical), 30 min strength training
    Nov 29:
    Nov 30:

Dec 01:
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06:
    Dec 07:
    Dec 08:
    Dec 09:
    Dec 10:
    Dec 11:
    Dec 12:
    Dec 13:
    Dec 14:
    Dec 15:
  • BMcC9
    OMG! I need to join a gym! This is my main problem! I have become a "Couch Potato!" I need to MOVE!

Hi, and welcome @MontaukGirl1973 !

Tell us how you LIKED to move in the past (dance to the oldies on the radio while no one is watching; walk the dog in the fresh air; biked everywhere as a child; the idea of checking off a progress chart and seeing those gold stars .... )

What factors led you to couch potato land / encourage you to stay there?

Tell us what your current physical and/or external roadblocks are (bad knees; old shoulder injury: HATE leaving air-conditioning / central heating when the weather isn't perfect; chasing after kids; DON"T WANT to give up my fave TV shows to make time for driving to from gym; busy social butterfly schedule .... making things up here - only you know you ... and details NOT required )

Maybe we can suggest alternatives to try while you are picking the best gym for you. This challenge is about exercise / activity of ALL kinds,

By all means, join a gym if that is your thing (doesn't happen to be mine at this time) But don't forget that there are other alternatives too.
  • BMcC9
    As an example from me, jogging on my mini-trampoline happens at home in front of the tv while playing my Wii walking exergame (I don't notice the time passing). `~30 to 45 minutes, usually between when I get home and supper is ready (DH (retired) cooks supper most weeknights)

I also sometimes "walk-while-I-watch" to get cardio time in while NOT missing a fave show.
  • BMcC9
    MY vision of best way to do squats? in context of line dancing LOL 469367makfzcur9b.gif

• BMcC9
    I increased my push-ups by 20% in one day (did SIX this morning) and only 6 tricep dips.

Thinking back, it is VERY likely that on Day 1, I was also hinging at the hips (which would explain the shocking-to-me high number completed), and not sufficiently isolating the effort / centre of movement into the elbows / shoulders.
  • BMcC9
    MoStacy wrote: »
    I agree with the “lifestyle” approach as opposed to the sprint. I have lost 60 lbs in the last 11months, but things have slowed down dramatically in the last couple of months. I just appreciate MFP peeps like you, because it helps me stay on track.

Three questions which MIGHT help target the cause of the dramatic slow-down in weight-loss. All of the following are factors that can very easily be overlooked in how MFP works ... and keep in mind that weight-loss will never be 100% linear ....

Assuming no injuries / major illness / change-in-medication-and-side-effects factors ....

1) when was the last time you did the "MFP guided calorie goal" setup with your NOW-current weight? Or are your assigned Food Diary calorie input macros still at "60 pounds ago"? I got caught by this back in July. You may be faithfully eating at the Food Diary suggested calorie intake level, never over, but that level is no longer reflective of you current metabolic needs now that there is less of you. Mine have dropped over time from 1360 when I started in April, to 1300 in mid-summer, and is now at 1270

2) how much (% wise) of your exercise calories do you eat back / what does your Net Calorie intake tend to be? This caused my plateau through all of September. I was burning more, and not eating enough back (because my body mass had shrunk, non-exercise calorie needs were lower, yet tooo big a deficit caused my system to assume "there's a famine out there" and actually hord what it received instead of burning it. Once I dropped my daily steps from 12000 / day or more (doing my exergame for more than an hour or an hour and a half a day at the same speed I do now) to ~6000 steps / ~45 minutes most days, I started shedding ~3 pounds / month again. No change in eating between Sept and Oct-Nov except for drinking more water.

3) If neither of the above apply, how accurate is your current tracking? Have you started under-estimating what you actually eat / over-estimating what you actually burn in exercise? The calorie burn per minute of jogging (for example) DROPS as you move less bulk through space over the same amount of time. On the other hand, you can probably now move the smaller-you farther through space in the same amount of time, and keep moving it for a longer time now (jogging both faster and farther that you could at first).

You have done an AMAZING job in less than a calendar year. Do some thinking about what has recently changed in your regular routine / what worked for you in the past and could be re-added, and ALSO what worked in the past but that you have moved beyond and could now adapt / switch up to fit the new lighter, fitter you and lifestyle.

And people, PLEASE tell me if I am overdoing the suggestions here! (maybe it's because I am both "The Olde One" here judging by the pictures (I turned 60 two months ago), and also a Research Librarian temperament - someone who wants to put the information you need in front of you, then let you take what you need from it to suit your individual variables.)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 wrote: »

Count to date: 7 out of 25

Done to date:
    Nov 24: Yes - 42 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline (finishing up last day of my exergame tour)
    Nov 25: Yes - 53 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 23 minutes up-up-down-down-ing on my step bench (*first day of a new "tour" in my Wii Walk It Out exergame - always hard to stop on Day 1!*)
    Nov 28: Yes - 47 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 5 bent-knee push ups and 15 tricep dips (done wrong - realized after the fact and have since reviewed How-To video)
    Nov 29: Yes - 44 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 6 push-ups and 6 tricep dips (done correctly) X 2 (am & pm)
    Nov 30:

Dec 01:
    et al
    ========
  • MoStacy
    Done to date:
    Nov 29: 40 min cardio (biking, elliptical), 30 min strength training
    Nov 30:

Dec 01:
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06:
    Dec 07:
    Dec 08:
    Dec 09:
    Dec 10:
    Dec 11:
    Dec 12:
    Dec 13:
    Dec 14:
    Dec 15:
  • BMcC9

Count to date: 8 out of 25

Done to date:
    Nov 28: Yes - 47 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 5 bent-knee push ups and 15 tricep dips (done wrong - realized after the fact and have since reviewed How-To video)
    Nov 29: Yes - 44 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS 6 push-ups and 6 tricep dips (done correctly) X 2 (am & pm)
    Nov 30: Yes - 47 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline PLUS (am 6 push-ups and 6 tricep dips) & (pm 10 pushu-ups and 3 tricep dips)

Dec 01:
    et al
    ========

• MoStacy
    Done to date:
    Nov 30: 90 min walk, 5 miles

Dec 01:
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
  • BMcC9

Count to date: 8 out of 25

Done to date: Nov - 8 for 8

Dec 01: (so far today - 10 push-ups & 6 tricep dips am)
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06:
    Dec 07:

Cardio plan is good - arms (push-ups and tri's) doing well - can anyone suggest my next at-home add-in to help tighten / strengthen / tone the saggy-baggy middle?
  • BMcC9

Count to date: 8-9 out of 25

Done to date: Nov - 8 for 8

Dec 01: total today - 1hr15 minutes jogging on my mini-trampoline, plus [10 push-ups & 6 tricep dips] X2 (am and pm)
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06:
    Dec 07:

Cardio plan is good - arms (push-ups and tri's) doing well - can anyone suggest my next at-home add-in to help tighten / strengthen / tone the saggy-baggy middle?

• MoStacy
    Keep it up, BMcC9! Is all of your hard work reflected on the scale? RE: middle, crunches, scissors, leg lifts

Done to date:

Dec 01:60 min walk, 4 miles, strength training (arms, abs)
    Dec 02:
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
  • BMcC9
    MoStacy wrote: »
    Keep it up, BMcC9! Is all of your hard work reflected on the scale? RE: middle, crunches, scissors, leg lifts

Yes it is, in that another 3 pounds down in Nov (given how close I am go goal and not doing heavy-burn exercise that is right at the rate I want) In my other rolling monthly thread I got an "Honorable Mention" at the end of the month (have to check their spreadsheet to see if it was for pounds lost or % lost - most likely %)

How abut yourself?
  • BMcC9
    This is from the thread where I was an "Honourable Mention" (2nd on my team for % lost this past week)

I thought it might be fun to try ....
    Kres567 wrote: »
    Happy Sunday everyone! The Week 1 Group Challenge is brought to you by the Mission Slimpossibles - Roll of the Dice. I didn't create a separate thread for this one. I thought you could just play within your team thread.

Each day this week - starting Monday - roll one dice or the virtual dice found here https://www.random.org/dice/.

Whatever number you get incorporate the corresponding action to your day. Have fun!

Roll a 1 - Post a motivational or funny meme for your team.
    Roll a 2 - Drink your required water for the day. Some people aim for 100oz and some half of their body weight in ounces.
    Roll a 3 - Pre-plan your meals for the day
    Roll a 4 - Do the activity on both of the Advent Calendars in the Moderators Challenge.
    Roll a 5 - Get outside and enjoy some fresh air - maybe a walk, run or bike ride
    Roll a 6 - Identify one small habit you want to change or focus on in 2019 and make a plan on how you might accomplish it in 2019.

A variety of Advent exercise calendars (like the one mentioned for "Roll a 4") can be found in Google Images and probably in Pinterest.

https://google.ca/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1200&bih=703&ei=oXoEXKLGH4PM_AaC87aYDQ&q=advent+exercise+challenge&oq=advent+ex&gs_l=img.1.0.0l5j0i8i30l5.1797.5528..10109...0.0..0.80.659.9......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0.CxXo0ibm24k
  • MoStacy
    How abut yourself? Yes, thank goodness, I lost the weight I gained over Thanksgiving. Really trying to maintain this month and start 2019 strong. Thanks for the Roll of the Dice link. I will try it next week.
    Done to date:

Dec 01:60 min walk, 4 miles, strength training (arms, abs)
    Dec 02: Walk 6 miles (Holiday House Tour)
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04:
  • BMcC9
    Monday: I rolled a "1" - will post the meme by the end of the day.