What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

I eat the sugar tops or crumb topping and toss the rest :p
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    The smell of bacon makes me nauseous
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think collard greens are delicious, whether cooked with bacon and tons of seasonings or straight out of a can.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

That sounds like a biscuit.

Where I'm from, biscuits are never sweetened. Neither is cornbread.

Did I just stumble on another unpopular opinion?
  • pinuplove
    edited December 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Perhaps this is another "regional terms" thingamabobby. In my vernacular, a biscuit is a very plain flaky thing that doesn't have much taste on it's own and you put butter or butter & jam on it. A muffin is more like a cake, but denser and not as sweet and is usually flavored or has add ins, like a blueberry muffin or a banana muffin. Many bakeries make their giant "muffins" sweeter and are essentially small cakes with super sweet toppings that will use up all your calories and make your teeth buzz.

So to me, a biscuit has flaky layers, a muffin is more like a cake. Cornbread is neither, it's bread. But you can make a corn muffin, which is basically fluffier cornbread with more sugar in a delightful muffin shape.

And it's perfectly acceptable to put butter on literally all of these things. Especially if they're warm. :blush:

Flaky biscuits are nice and have their place, but to me the quintessential biscuit is soft and fluffy in the middle with a nice crispy bottom crust, and is perfect for drowning in cream gravy :yum: They aren't sweet at all and have a slight buttermilk tang. Also delicious with butter and honey or your jam/jelly of choice.

Often paired with bacon and eggs at breakfast or chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes at dinner. And gravy. Always gravy.

pfxkfqj0j9gt.jpg
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Perhaps this is another "regional terms" thingamabobby. In my vernacular, a biscuit is a very plain flaky thing that doesn't have much taste on it's own and you put butter or butter & jam on it. A muffin is more like a cake, but denser and not as sweet and is usually flavored or has add ins, like a blueberry muffin or a banana muffin. Many bakeries make their giant "muffins" sweeter and are essentially small cakes with super sweet toppings that will use up all your calories and make your teeth buzz.

So to me, a biscuit has flaky layers, a muffin is more like a cake. Cornbread is neither, it's bread. But you can make a corn muffin, which is basically fluffier cornbread with more sugar in a delightful muffin shape.

And it's perfectly acceptable to put butter on literally all of these things. Especially if they're warm. :blush:

^^ agreed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Also, cornbread should always be baked in cast iron and cut into wedges, as pictured. This ensures everyone gets an equal portion of the crispy sides. Squares (or whatever square shape you can get from a round pan) is not acceptable and may result in table fights :tongue:

I have never had skillet cornbread, only baking dish cornbread, and I concur. Family hierarchy comes into play in a square loaf. Feelings are hurt.

And I will change my story - yes, the biscuits you pictured are also traditionally biscuits as I would think of them. Perhaps the dividing line is not much flavor/crispy bottom/ meant to be a vehicle for other flavors - biscuit.
    Flavored/not crispy/probably best with a cup of coffee or tea - muffin.

This will give me something to think about rather than working :drinker:
  • jjpptt2
    I don't care what shape they are cut in or what pan they are cooked in. If I don't get enough of whatever I want, I simply ask the waitress for more.
  • pinuplove
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I don't care what shape they are cut in or what pan they are cooked in. If I don't get enough of whatever I want, I simply ask the waitress for more.

Your wife or mom might not appreciate that at home :lol:
  • jjpptt2

I do all the cooking in my house. Believe me... everyone appreciates being able to ask a waitress for seconds rather than being forced to eat firsts of my cooking (aside from a couple of things I make really well).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Potluck events are gross

jh80s2p8tv50.jpg

QFT.

I'm only a moderate clean freak and I can't do it. I'm happy to eat at people's houses or eat their food if I know them and have been in their kitchen but just random coworkers or whatever? Not gonna happen.
  • pinuplove

I do all the cooking in my house. Believe me... everyone appreciates being able to ask a waitress for seconds rather than being forced to eat firsts of my cooking (aside from a couple of things I make really well).

Great for a maintaining a calorie deficit, though! :wink: