Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

18911131431

Replies

  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Back on the original topic, a piece of commonly given advice I tend to disagree with is the dispensation of SS and/or SL5x5 as the bestest strength training program for everybody all the time.

    Do you think they are good programs for those starting out? Because that's how I usually see it suggested.

    Maybe. Sometimes. It depends upon their goals, limitations and desires.

    I think there are a lot of solid, well-written programs for those starting out. I'm not saying that SS/SL5x5 aren't good programs, I just don't always agree with the blanket recommendation for them.

    I'll confess to doing this. I promote this because I used it. I see so many beginners overwhelmed and think they have to live in a gym, where this basic program can be implemented with minimal time investment.

    Good point in stressing other programs and tailoring advice.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 542 Member
    That brings up an interesting point. I am a moderator, but that doesn't give me leave to feel morally superior to someone who is an abstainer. Alternately, my daily chocolate habit doesn't mean I'm weaker than someone who hasn't had a chocolate bar since Doc Martens were cool.

    Wait... are you saying my Doc Martens aren't cool anymore?!?
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    That there is a universal “best” for everyone.

    A “best” exercise.
    A “best” diet etc.

    All the diets out there only moderate the number of calories that you eat. Different people will respond to different diet plans and the best for them will be the one that allows them to feel full and satisfied with the foods that they eat and not have strong cravings. For some people that will be the one big meal a day plan, or perhaps intermittent fasting, for others that will be 6 or more small meals spaced over the day. Some people respond to low carb others to low fats.

    What works for a person is their personal best and there will be a different best for a different best for a different person.

    Exercise is similar, some people say all cardio or one best cardio, others say strength and one best exercise. You should balance cardio, strength, flexibility training, mix up the different exercises run, walk, swim, bike, jump rope are all cardio and you should have several of them in your workout scheme. The one “best” exercise is not as popular as the one “best” diet but is generally pushed more by people selling the equipment for their “best” workout.

    The best diet and exercise plan is one that you will follow, others may not be able for many reasons to follow the same plan but will have a different personal best plan.,
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,763 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Back on the original topic, a piece of commonly given advice I tend to disagree with is the dispensation of SS and/or SL5x5 as the bestest strength training program for everybody all the time.

    Do you think they are good programs for those starting out? Because that's how I usually see it suggested.

    I think they are but so are many others. There may be reasons to do other things that have a different focus.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    I was told that a "bro" split was worse than doing a full body routine by several users(I think calling it a bro split is already condescending). It seemed like the concencus was do a full body routine everything else will work worse. My 4 day split worked much, much better than when i switched to a full body routine. Only time i have regretted listening to other MFP users.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,073 Member
    edited December 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Back on the original topic, a piece of commonly given advice I tend to disagree with is the dispensation of SS and/or SL5x5 as the bestest strength training program for everybody all the time.

    Do you think they are good programs for those starting out? Because that's how I usually see it suggested.

    Maybe. Sometimes. It depends upon their goals, limitations and desires.

    I think there are a lot of solid, well-written programs for those starting out. I'm not saying that SS/SL5x5 aren't good programs, I just don't always agree with the blanket recommendation for them.

    Not arguing one program is better than another, but as a person who started on SL 5X5, I find it's very simple and I believe that simple is important for someone starting out. With the free app to make it even easier, I can't see a reason not to recommend SL 5X5 to a beginner.

  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I disagree that you have to weigh yourself every day or you won't understand fluctuations or see your real progress. Some people are pretty fired up about getting tons of data.
    You can weigh yourself daily if you want that information but you don't really have to monitor that much to ensure you are losing weight if you are tracking calories reasonably accurately.

    I'm in you camp....feel it is nothing but compulsive unnecessary data.