Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I disagree with some of the advice I see a lot regarding preventing loose/saggy skin. Lots of people seem to chime in saying slow weight loss can help with this. While I don't disagree that slow weight loss is preferable and healthier, I don't really think it can help prevent loose skin. Losing slowly does give the skin more time to adapt, so may look a little better during weight loss, but the end result will likely be the same regardless of how slowly you go.
    Genetics and age are the biggest factors and how fast you gained the weight or how long you were overweight probably plays a much bigger part than how fast or slow you lose the weight. Gaining the weight is what stretched the skin so the "damage" is already done before you start losing.
    This is not to discourage others from slow healthy weight loss, but I do think it's setting people up for possible disappointment... on other forums I see a lot of "I lost the weight slowly and still have all this loose skin"

I see you got "woo"ed for this. Hopefully not a negative woo as I suspect you may be correct. It would be nice to see some backup for either position though. Not sure if there are studies on this or not.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Yeah, it was cold this morning. Tell me again why winter running in the dark is fun? Maybe I should train in the summer? No - wait it's too hot in Texas in the summer to run far. If I only could run in a climate controlled environment - treadmills! No - wait - I hate those things.

Couldn't someone just pass the doughnuts please?

Summer running can be a drag too. I can find something to complain about in every season! :D

That's why I like the bicycle. I can generate my own breeze as long as I'm moving. But when I stop, the waterworks start :)