Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2018
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I disagree with some of the advice I see a lot regarding preventing loose/saggy skin. Lots of people seem to chime in saying slow weight loss can help with this. While I don't disagree that slow weight loss is preferable and healthier, I don't really think it can help prevent loose skin. Losing slowly does give the skin more time to adapt, so may look a little better during weight loss, but the end result will likely be the same regardless of how slowly you go.
    Genetics and age are the biggest factors and how fast you gained the weight or how long you were overweight probably plays a much bigger part than how fast or slow you lose the weight. Gaining the weight is what stretched the skin so the "damage" is already done before you start losing.
    This is not to discourage others from slow healthy weight loss, but I do think it's setting people up for possible disappointment... on other forums I see a lot of "I lost the weight slowly and still have all this loose skin"

I see you got "woo"ed for this. Hopefully not a negative woo as I suspect you may be correct. It would be nice to see some backup for either position though. Not sure if there are studies on this or not.

There probably aren't many studies for this as hopefully researchers wouldn't put subjects on an unsafe rate of loss just for comparing their skin to others after the study is over. Also, interviewing people after weight loss and comparing results would be relying on people to accurately recount their rate of loss and that would be a big limitation.
    I did find this article that mentioned length of time overweight and amount of weight lost as factors but did not mention rate of loss as a factor
    http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/loose-skin-after-weight-loss#section2
    That was just an article and not a peer reviewed study but it did site this study that analyzed skin samples of people taken during operations they were having anyway. It was basically comparing skin of people with no history of massive weight loss having contouring surgery, morbidly obese people undergoing bariatric surgery, and patients with history of massive weight loss who were having cosmetic contouring.
    It found that the massive weight loss group had elastic fiber loss as well as did most of the patients who were still morbidly obese and undergoing bariatric surgery.
    Here is the URL for that skin sample study.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4311578/
    Also, I'm not sure if that is the correct way to link an article, so if it's not, maybe someone can post something telling me how to do that from an iPhone?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    I disagree with some of the advice I see a lot regarding preventing loose/saggy skin. Lots of people seem to chime in saying slow weight loss can help with this. While I don't disagree that slow weight loss is preferable and healthier, I don't really think it can help prevent loose skin. Losing slowly does give the skin more time to adapt, so may look a little better during weight loss, but the end result will likely be the same regardless of how slowly you go.
    Genetics and age are the biggest factors and how fast you gained the weight or how long you were overweight probably plays a much bigger part than how fast or slow you lose the weight. Gaining the weight is what stretched the skin so the "damage" is already done before you start losing.
    This is not to discourage others from slow healthy weight loss, but I do think it's setting people up for possible disappointment... on other forums I see a lot of "I lost the weight slowly and still have all this loose skin"

I see you got "woo"ed for this. Hopefully not a negative woo as I suspect you may be correct. It would be nice to see some backup for either position though. Not sure if there are studies on this or not.

There probably aren't many studies for this as hopefully researchers wouldn't put subjects on an unsafe rate of loss just for comparing their skin to others after the study is over. Also, interviewing people after weight loss and comparing results would be relying on people to accurately recount their rate of loss and that would be a big limitation.
    I did find this article that mentioned length of time overweight and amount of weight lost as factors but did not mention rate of loss as a factor
    http:www.healthline.com/nutrition/loose-skin-after-weight-loss#section2
    That was just an article and not a peer reviewed study but it did site this study that analyzed skin samples of people taken during operations they were having anyway. It was basically comparing skin of people with no history of massive weight loss having contouring surgery, morbidly obese people undergoing bariatric surgery, and patients with history of massive weight loss who were having cosmetic contouring.
    It found that the massive weight loss group had elastic fiber loss as well as did most of the patients who were still morbidly obese and undergoing bariatric surgery.
    https:www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pic/articles/PMC4311578/
    Also, I'm not sure if that is the correct way to link an article, so if it's not, maybe someone can post something telling me how to do that from an iPhone?

I think this is the one you're looking for:

The link you posted was a bit wonky :smile: I find this topic interesting and tend to agree with you, but based on nothing beyond my own experience and opinion, which is far from scientifically valid, so I'm back to lurking in this thread now!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

http:www.healthline.com/nutrition/loose-skin-after-weight-loss#section2
    https:www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pic/articles/PMC4311578/

I think this is the one you're looking for:

The link you posted was a bit wonky :smile: I find this topic interesting and tend to agree with you, but based on nothing beyond my own experience and opinion, which is far from scientifically valid, so I'm back to lurking in this thread now!

That's the one! Thanks. I see when I posted the links, I left out some dashes. I just edited that post to add them in, so hopefully my links will work now for anyone who happens to want to click on them?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Interesting!

I'm down 125 lbs, lost about 2 lbs/ wk for most of that weight loss, and have a bunch of skin on my lower belly and some on my thighs but otherwise okay. So it's a subject of interest to me.

It seems to me, thinking about it logically, that the most rapid weight loss most people ever have is a woman having a baby. Women go within a couple of months from a giant stretched belly to an ordinary sized one. And yet, the majority of women who give birth don't have lasting issues with loose skin. Maybe a little loose skin, but not huge issues, for most women. So it seems unlikely to me that rapidness of losing weight is a major factor in loose skin.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie... Bull that's perpetually spouted but in my many years of experience totally false.

...yet it's still a scientifically proven fact. Assuming that you're speaking strictly in terms of weight loss, that is.

In that case why do I loose much more/faster on macro with lower carbs comparing to the same amount of kcal with higher carbs?

But WHAT are you losing?

For every gram of glycogen you use, you use 3-4 grams of water. So sure, if I go on a ketogenic diet, I can lose big weight.

Doesn't mean I'm losing fat. If 75% of what I've lost is water, that doesn't really help.

I'm not saying one cannot lose on a keto diet. The question is always, WHAT are you losing?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Interesting!

I'm down 125 lbs, lost about 2 lbs/ wk for most of that weight loss, and have a bunch of skin on my lower belly and some on my thighs but otherwise okay. So it's a subject of interest to me.

It seems to me, thinking about it logically, that the most rapid weight loss most people ever have is a woman having a baby. Women go within a couple of months from a giant stretched belly to an ordinary sized one. And yet, the majority of women who give birth don't have lasting issues with loose skin. Maybe a little loose skin, but not huge issues, for most women. So it seems unlikely to me that rapidness of losing weight is a major factor in loose skin.

Ah, you beat me to the pregnancy issue.

Age was definitely a factor in loose skin for me with my second pregnancy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

That was a very interesting link. Thank you for posting it. Tempts one to hypothesize there might be a fueling/nutritional dimension, I think.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,273 Member
    Early in this thread (p1), a couple people referred to reading the "stickies". What does that mean?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Early in this thread (p1), a couple people referred to reading the "stickies". What does that mean?

The posts that are "stuck" at the top of each forum. Basically, they're answers and tips for FAQ.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

The posts that are "stuck" at the top of each forum. Basically, they're answers and tips for FAQ.

To add: Look under the "Most Helpful Posts" link in each forum. Gold in those posts!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,273 Member

Gotcha. Thanks!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Back on the original topic, a piece of commonly given advice I tend to disagree with is the dispensation of SS and/or SL5x5 as the bestest strength training program for everybody all the time.

Do you think they are good programs for those starting out? Because that's how I usually see it suggested.