December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No running today, but I did go on a tour of the YWCA down the street (10 minutes walk from my front door!). I've gone back and forth on joining a gym but I think that the Y would be a good option - this facility is pretty big and clean and has good reviews online. The fee isn't bad - $60 joining fee and $68 a month, $20 of which my insurance would reimburse if I went 8-12 times a month (not exactly sure on that). There are options for personal trainers and the guy who took me around the facility seemed pretty comfortable talking to me as a runner and about weights (didn't talk down to me at all as a woman or push me on machines when I said I was interested in free weights). The indoor track was pretty small (14 laps a mile, woof) but I would have access to a facility with a 1/6th mile track, which seems a bit more tolerable.

Anyhow, I've never been part of a gym before and I feel weird signing up for the first place I look at, but I honestly don't see that I would want to join the LA Fitness or Snap Fitness, which are the other equally close options. I got a day pass and am planning on going next week - does anyone have any tips for what I should look for? It was pretty clean and quiet when I was there around noon today, which is probably when I'd be most likely to go (hooray for setting your own hours!). And I've got to say, the heated pool looked AMAZING.

The Y can be great or purgatory and it all depends on the other people there. Is the pool available for your use at the time you would use it, or is it full of classes/ seniors doing water aerobics / little kids? How are the hours? When is it most busy?

I like my gym, which is 24 hr access and lets me use a squat rack at 2 am, but it's a super basic lifting gym, without pool or track. Someone else might have different priorities.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Somethings to ask the YMCA:
    • Can you use other YMCAs if you are travelling? Some here do and some don't.
    • Does the monthly fee include classes?
    • Do they allow suspension of fees if you have an injury that prevents working out?
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    12.2: 4.5 @ 9:10/M (4.5) Easy Run
    12.3: 4.0 @ 9:05/M (8.5) Easy Run
    12.5: 4.5 @ 9:19/M (13) Easy Run

Still dealing with some pain around my right hip and some inflammation I can feel with my bare hands. I still can't massage it out or stretch it out. Will try some ice tonight before I go to sleep. Pain is much worse after I run and then again after I stand after sitting for a bit. I haven't gone to the DR at all this year, so I'm trying to wait until Jan 1st in case it is an "issue", I'll be working towards 2019's deductible.

Skipping today’s 4.0M Pace Run to allow my hip to rest. First time I’ve missed a run since Sept 14th, running 5X/week. I’m so bummed but I think this is a smart move. I jogged down my hallway and it bothered me. Tomorrow is a 90 minute long run which I think is more important to complete instead of a short run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    • Do they allow suspension of fees if you have an injury that prevents working out?

at our y's we could use other y's when traveling-i did not run into one that was not part of the system
    our fees included some classes but not all
    they did not allow for suspension of fees
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

at our y's we could use other y's when traveling-i did not run into one that was not part of the system
    our fees included some classes but not all
    they did not allow for suspension of fees

Those are good questions! This is a YW, not a YM, and I'm not finding any information online about whether they have national membership. The website is pretty clear about what classes are included and what aren't, but I'll ask about suspending fees. Of course, given that the per month fee is the same for month-to-month as annual membership I was planning on month-to-month - the joining fee varies but is 60% off right now so the difference isn't enough for me to bother, so suspending might not matter so much.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    No running today, but I did go on a tour of the YWCA down the street (10 minutes walk from my front door!). I've gone back and forth on joining a gym but I think that the Y would be a good option - this facility is pretty big and clean and has good reviews online. The fee isn't bad - $60 joining fee and $68 a month, $20 of which my insurance would reimburse if I went 8-12 times a month (not exactly sure on that). There are options for personal trainers and the guy who took me around the facility seemed pretty comfortable talking to me as a runner and about weights (didn't talk down to me at all as a woman or push me on machines when I said I was interested in free weights). The indoor track was pretty small (14 laps a mile, woof) but I would have access to a facility with a 1/6th mile track, which seems a bit more tolerable.

Anyhow, I've never been part of a gym before and I feel weird signing up for the first place I look at, but I honestly don't see that I would want to join the LA Fitness or Snap Fitness, which are the other equally close options. I got a day pass and am planning on going next week - does anyone have any tips for what I should look for? It was pretty clean and quiet when I was there around noon today, which is probably when I'd be most likely to go (hooray for setting your own hours!). And I've got to say, the heated pool looked AMAZING.

The Y can be great or purgatory and it all depends on the other people there. Is the pool available for your use at the time you would use it, or is it full of classes/ seniors doing water aerobics / little kids? How are the hours? When is it most busy?

I like my gym, which is 24 hr access and lets me use a squat rack at 2 am, but it's a super basic lifting gym, without pool or track. Someone else might have different priorities.

There were maybe a half-dozen people in most areas I looked at today, and only 2-3 in the pool and weight room. According to the website noon to three on weekdays is always open pool. The hours aren't crazy early or late, but at least for now, that doesn't really matter to me. So all on the plus side so far I think?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

There were maybe a half-dozen people in most areas I looked at today, and only 2-3 in the pool and weight room. According to the website noon to three on weekdays is always open pool. The hours aren't crazy early or late, but at least for now, that doesn't really matter to me. So all on the plus side so far I think?

So, as you are a runner, you want to check out their cardo room. See it looks like a comfortable place to use a dreadmill, elliptical, or other cardo machines. There will be days you really do not want to run outside (way too hot, thunderstorm, whatever), and having the dreadmills as an option is prime.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Also get their CANCELLATION policy, in writing. Make sure you understand it fully.
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Caseyloupuckett Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm new.

I use to run in high school. Havent ran in 10 years. That was also 107 pounds ago too.

So I want to start running. But i was in a car accident 3 months ago and its taken about that long for my to mostly heal my back up. Still is a little messed up but mostly better.

Also i have a hip injury from 9 years ago that gets aggravated when i walk more than a few miles and i dont know how its going to react when i do start to run

I'm waiting for my doctor to give me the go ahead.

Anyways for now im just walking as much as i can. Sometimes that 4000 steps and sometimes its 13000 steps and everythimg in between.

A question i do have for you guys. Since i use to be a runner. When i get the go ahead to start running should i start from thr beginning or should i push myself to do more?