December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track imo

Good Lord. I hate the treadmill. If running on a treadmill is better than something that is better than indoor running, I'm in trouble!

I am having a tough time with figuring out if I agree with this list. I mean... indoor track is definitely the bottom. I often had the choice at my prior job of indoor track or dreadmill, and I choose dreadmill every time.

But outdoor track? I can not think of a time when I would be outside and choose to run a track over trail/road.

So I guess the list for me is Trails->Road->Dreadmill->Netflix. :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i actually like the treadmill. i like to watch movies and run. preferably action movies like the latest marvel movie

It would be so convenient if I liked running on a treadmill. I have one at my office, one in my home and a host of them at my gym. I am super new to running. I can't seem to find a pace on the treadmill that is comfortable for me. Running on the roads, I can adjust my speed on the fly and run at a comfortable pace. On the treadmill, it feels awkward and I feel like I am stomping along. Higher incline and faster speed has helped but it just never feels natural to me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Trails > paved trails > roads > sidewalks > grass > indoor track > treadmill.

Treadmills scare me.

I think you missed beaches, boardwalks, and shopping malls. :smiley:
  • debrakgoogins
    Options

I live on a beach, with a boardwalk. I don't run there. Too many tourists in the summer and freaking cold in the winter. Shopping mall floors are treacherous. I once had a spectacular blow out while walking in super cute boots in the mall. If anyone caught it on camara, I am certaing they won the $10k on America's Funniest Home Videos at my expense. I am forever traumatized.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I live on a beach, with a boardwalk. I don't run there. Too many tourists in the summer and freaking cold in the winter. Shopping mall floors are treacherous. I once had a spectacular blow out while walking in super cute boots in the mall. If anyone caught it on camara, I am certaing they won the $10k on America's Funniest Home Videos at my expense. I am forever traumatized.

when i was in santa monica, the boardwalk was so busy, i don't know how people run on it. even earlier in the morning
    and packed on each side with homeless, some of which were fine and some of which made me a little uneasy
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Treadmills scare me.

Our boardwalk is great to run on unless it's dewy, in which case it's slicker than pig poo. There's a thin film of green algae on top which picks up the water and is lethally slick. My worst wipeout ever happened on the boardwalk - husband and I were sprinting for a fast finish and I caught my toe, slid must have been 30 feet flat on my belly, came to a stop right in front of two women and a very concerned dog who licked me all over.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Treadmills scare me.

This is the closest list to mine so far. I like you Lenny.

If I am sent to hell I will have to run on a treadmill every day and drink milk with every meal. *shudder*

Ah ha! Another non milk drinker! Yuck. I hadn't even thought about that being a potential punishment of hell.

And everybody loves @7lenny7 :wink: he's just awesome.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I grew up on the sore next to a major board walk. During the offseason, people would regularly run/walk on it. Yes, there was a horrible cold wind off the ocean, but it was well lit, level, and patrolled by police so people liked it. :) I was not running outside of school practices at that age so I never ran there, but we hooligans did walk on it often. Some of the arcades and such would stay open year round.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    run the year organizational team thread can be found here --->
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest

Please feel free to add your ideas. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling on this.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 10.5k slow
    12-3 7k recovery
    12-4 rest

December Total: 24.5k
    December Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Scheduled rest day today. Didn't have to dodge the snowflakes.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options

exercise.png
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I read up to page nine, I swear I’ll catch up before the end of the month! Today was going to be my first run since last Wednesday after spending the weekend cleaning and finishing the move out of the old house, but I realized that it would be smarter to skip today and run tomorrow and Friday instead, with the 10K + 5K on Saturday. I’ve been averaging about 10 miles a week for the last six weeks, with my highest week at 13.26 miles when I ran my last 10K two weeks ago. Saturday’s races are going to top 9 miles combined, so I think doing two short runs this week rather than three will be best. I haven’t figured out a good run by the new house under 3.5 miles but honestly in this cold I don’t know that it’s worth it to spend a half hour getting dressed for less than a 5K.

So instead of running I tossed on a Fitness Blender video and did an upper body dumbbell workout, my first strength workout in a couple of months! For the next two weeks my goal is going to be three days running, two days core or upper body workouts. I did a lot of Fitness Blender videos last winter and really enjoyed the variety. I never did many of their dumbbell workouts as I preferred a more straightforward progressive program once I got into lifting, but considering how badly my strength training has stalled, I think that this will be a good way to ease back in.

And on that note, I requested a tour at the YWCA down the street. I’d hoped to buy a barbell and rack this winter but with the new house, I think a (partially subsidized by insurance) YWCA membership will be a better bet. Plus membership is 70% off this week and I’m given to understand that December is actually a good time to join a gym as there tends to be a lull before January hits.

2019 Accomplishments: I’d like to run a 10K (or greater) every month. I’d like to rebuild my strength training practice and learn the major barbell lifts. And if it’s in the cards, I’d like to run a sub-30 5K and sub-60 10K. Here’s what I’m looking at for races:

January 5: Polar Dash 10K
    January 26: Securian 10K
    February 16: Half Fast 10K
    March: Get Lucky 14K (16th) or Hot Dash 10M (23rd)
    April: Earth Day Run Half Marathon, St. Cloud (20th) OR Get In Gear Half or 10K (27th)
    May 4: Door County Half Marathon, Peninsula State Park, WI (if no half in April)
    May 23 (est): ESTRS Lebanon 10K
    June 1: Hospital Hill Half Marathon, Kansas City
    June 13 (est): ESTRS French 5K
    July 11 (est): ESTRS Lebanon 7MI
    July 17: Torchlight 5K
    August 1 (est): ESTRS Hyland 4MI
    August: Undecided 10K
    September 9 (est): Sioux Falls Half Marathon
    October 5: TCM 10K
    November: Undecided 10K or Half
    December: Undecided 10K

A big question mark for me is when to plan my first half of the year. This year the weather didn’t break until late April, which would make doing a half in April or May pretty hairy. I think I’ll see how my mileage looks over the next couple of months and make a call then. If I’m running at least a ten-miler more weeks than not over the winter, I think a half in early spring would be doable.