December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless YELL YELL YELL! Now seriously.... what kind of strength training are you doing? Cause if it bores you and you hate it you're never gonna keep it up unless you have steel willpower and self-discipline....

I have started what I call my "anti-trex" plan many times. Even got a trainer to build me a plan. Sigh. Lasted 2 months once...

I do CrossFit for Strength training, because like many others while I ENJOY lifting weights, I struggle to motivate myself for the same things. Now I know the nay-sayers will say CrossFit isn't a good programme, but it works for me. I get to lift weights and use my body and muscles in different ways. It is certainly 'cross-trainig' so while it doesn't have the consistency of repetitive lifting, what it DOES do is challenge me with different exercises. I don't look at my boxes website before I go so I don't know what I'm in for. At the weekend we did the Holleyman. What this is is thirty rounds for time (ie. as quickly as you can without sacrificing form with five reps of wall balls (throwing a wallball to a height, starting from a squat position); three hand-stand push-ups (I did mine from a box); and one rep of a power snatch at 80% of your 1RM. That's a LOT of lifting, a LOT of squatting and a LOT of work for the arms.

I enjoy it because I focus on form not time. I'm the one scaling the exercise, and lifting lighter weights. There's an element of planning ahead - you know you are ultimately going to be doing 30 reps of a power snatch, so choose your weight accordingly so you can still lift the last rep with good form.

I can just about fit Crossfit in with running. But I also agree with things like bodyweight exercises for strength (climbing is an excellent one). I am fairly sure that even after only a few months of this, my running will be improved.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest

Follow the link above for more info. There should be a link for the registration to RTY/RTE. Or goolgle "run the year 2019" Cheap registration is 25$ and they will send an email out after the new year on teams.

Yay! Team D!

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Scott6255 maybe you have a secret twin that runs as *cough* gracefully as you do... seems strange that you didn't see her, was she driving with no lights? Sounds like she needs telling off for that...

In fact I do have an identical twin that runs just like me, but he lives 1000 miles away in Georgia :)

In a perfect world there would be a heart-warming story of a surprise famly reunion for Xmas hidden in there. But this world is far from perfect, so it was probably you and you were probably just distracted and didn't see your wife trying not to run you over (ok there's a bit of perfect world in there still, if it had been my husband and I, I would possibly have run him over!)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,414 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Tramboman
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest

Follow the link above for more info. There should be a link for the registration to RTY/RTE. Or goolgle "run the year 2019" Cheap registration is 25$ and they will send an email out after the new year on teams.

Yay! Team D!

Here is the link to the site for RTY/RTE @Tramboman and anyone else who is interested in joining a team! With @tramboman completing team D we have 4 teams now. Anyone interested in a team E? You don't have to commit to tons of miles, just get other runners to become a team with you!

https://runtheedge.com

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Tramboman

Yay! Team D!

Thanks!!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @amymoreorless YELL YELL YELL! Now seriously.... what kind of strength training are you doing? Cause if it bores you and you hate it you're never gonna keep it up unless you have steel willpower and self-discipline....

I have started what I call my "anti-trex" plan many times. Even got a trainer to build me a plan. Sigh. Lasted 2 months once...

I do CrossFit for Strength training, because like many others while I ENJOY lifting weights, I struggle to motivate myself for the same things. Now I know the nay-sayers will say CrossFit isn't a good programme, but it works for me. I get to lift weights and use my body and muscles in different ways. It is certainly 'cross-trainig' so while it doesn't have the consistency of repetitive lifting, what it DOES do is challenge me with different exercises. I don't look at my boxes website before I go so I don't know what I'm in for. At the weekend we did the Holleyman. What this is is thirty rounds for time (ie. as quickly as you can without sacrificing form with five reps of wall balls (throwing a wallball to a height, starting from a squat position); three hand-stand push-ups (I did mine from a box); and one rep of a power snatch at 80% of your 1RM. That's a LOT of lifting, a LOT of squatting and a LOT of work for the arms.

I enjoy it because I focus on form not time. I'm the one scaling the exercise, and lifting lighter weights. There's an element of planning ahead - you know you are ultimately going to be doing 30 reps of a power snatch, so choose your weight accordingly so you can still lift the last rep with good form.

I can just about fit Crossfit in with running. But I also agree with things like bodyweight exercises for strength (climbing is an excellent one). I am fairly sure that even after only a few months of this, my running will be improved.

I was doing "Boot Camp" once a week for a while. Was good, a lot more active than lifting, but that was free with a gym at my prior job, so not an option anymore. :(
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,147 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    We still need one or two more for Team D on the 2019 Run the Year challenge. We have 700 miles to go!!

I would be glad to pledge 500 miles and join Team D.
    ...just need to figure out how to do it...

YAY!! Thanks for joining! We are only about 200 miles short now. Just one more person!

The link in the post you replied to will take you to the page we set up to get the teams set up. We each have to register separately on the Run the Year site and then form the teams on the site. The team thing is apparently not up and running yet, so we will keep an eye for that.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    We still need one or two more for Team D on the 2019 Run the Year challenge. We have 700 miles to go!!

I would be glad to pledge 500 miles and join Team D.
    ...just need to figure out how to do it...

YAY!! Thanks for joining! We are only about 200 miles short now. Just one more person!

The link in the post you replied to will take you to the page we set up to get the teams set up. We each have to register separately on the Run the Year site and then form the teams on the site. The team thing is apparently not up and running yet, so we will keep an eye for that.

Registered!!!!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    have you considered other forms of strength training? bodyweight stuff maybe that you find more fun. power yoga, trx, circus arts, convict training etc

Wait... what is "convict training"? My brain threw up some interesting imagery when I read that. LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    RE: strength training
    @amymoreorless YELL YELL YELL! Now seriously.... what kind of strength training are you doing? Cause if it bores you and you hate it you're never gonna keep it up unless you have steel willpower and self-discipline.... Maybe if it's the tedious x sets of x repetitions blah blah blah you could consider trying something faster paced? Fitness Blender have strength routines specifically classified as "for people who get bored easily" that are quick (pretty much a cardio routine as well as weights) and don't repeat exercises. I found that was key to keeping up with mine. Back before I started focusing on running and let my strength training slip. Dammit I need to make the same resolution as you.... we can hold each other accountable ;-)

@eleanorhawkins Thanks for the Fitness Blender link! Looks good! Now I need to ask Santa for a TV to put in my "Room of Requirement" (AKA - spare bedroom / workout room / husband's music room / storage / etc...)

Strength training really does make a difference. I just find it boring. I went a little overboard with the diet, yoga, strength training and running last year when I was training for my first marathon. I burned myself out and let all of it go except running. I hate going to the gym and generally hate exercising indoors. I love hiking and running so its not hard for me to keep up with those things.

Weight training makes a big difference. I think I just need to suck it up and suffer through 45 minutes 2x a week. ;)

lsn9vt4k9cwy.jpg

I've got several fitness blender programs, I am starting strong in the new year to tone up. I lost 20kg in 2017 using fitness blender so absolutely love them. Can't wait to see their new content now Kelli is back into it.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @amymoreorless Re: strength training. It may not be your thing, but I do rock climbing as my strength training. I sort of like lifting weights, but never did find something I could stick with. But I LOVE rock climbing. It's interactive and social and so challenging, both mentally and physically. It's like exercising while solving puzzles, so I find it hard to get bored. And no 2 climbs are ever the same! Certainly not conventional strength training, but it works for me! I'm always trying to introduce people to the sport!

@martaindale Oh! Rock climbing sounds like fun! Except for the whole “being up high” thing. I am terrified of heights. :)
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,147 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Re: strength training. It may not be your thing, but I do rock climbing as my strength training. I sort of like lifting weights, but never did find something I could stick with. But I LOVE rock climbing. It's interactive and social and so challenging, both mentally and physically. It's like exercising while solving puzzles, so I find it hard to get bored. And no 2 climbs are ever the same! Certainly not conventional strength training, but it works for me! I'm always trying to introduce people to the sport!

@martaindale Oh! Rock climbing sounds like fun! Except for the whole “being up high” thing. I am terrified of heights. :)

Then bouldering is for you!! It's lower walls, no rope. Actually more of an upper body workout too because there is usually more of an incline! Something for everyone!!
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options

@martaindale: wow, never until just now did I take indoor climbing as a serious option. A spontaneous thought is that this is something I could do with the kids! I'll browse the net to see what's available in my region. Thank you so much for describing it so nicely.

Meanwhile, I just plan to stick to skating (roughly once a week) - we're still in the beginner's corner :smiley: Does that count as running/walking? :wink: : (I would track it here if you guys said "yes" :smiley: )
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255: I just think your wife was relieved to see with her own eyes that this is indeed how you spend the hour(s). She just looked upset as a cover :smiley: Seriously: lights and such are a good idea - I was considering this while running in the dark myself. You know, there might be a biker in a hurry and with music in their ears right behind you. Better be safe than sorry, agreed?