December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

Okay guys, keep me accountable please!

I am going to a Yin yoga class tonight and doing strength training with kettlebells tomorrow morning. I have been seriously slacking on the cross training. It has been MONTHS since I have touched a weight. Someone please yell at me if I make lame excuses when I check in tomorrow.

I haven't run for 3 days now, I'd be MORE than happy to have someone to yell at :-D

Been a week since I ran 😥😪 but am currently enjoying a couple of weeks off. I'll try get out tomorrow once I'm. On holiday and will be kicking things off properly in the new year.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,262 Member
    Yes! More Harry Potter fans! Well, I think it’s more of a Harry Potter obsession for me. I reread the books all the time and do Harry Potter movie marathons every couple of months. My two cats are named Dobby and Malfoy! I went to the wizarding world of Harry Potter at universal studios in Florida a couple of years ago and literally almost died of happiness. I wish they would do a race series the way Disney does because I would be there every year!

A race series would be GREAT there! I would do that in a heartbeat!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Yes! More Harry Potter fans! Well, I think it’s more of a Harry Potter obsession for me. I reread the books all the time and do Harry Potter movie marathons every couple of months. My two cats are named Dobby and Malfoy! I went to the wizarding world of Harry Potter at universal studios in Florida a couple of years ago and literally almost died of happiness. I wish they would do a race series the way Disney does because I would be there every year!

A race series would be GREAT there! I would do that in a heartbeat!!

heh. In part, we are doing this because I felt that being "in the business" (that is a writer who writes fantasy) I should probably read through the series at least once...
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    12/1 (3.5mi - run)
    12/2 (2.2mi - walk)
    12/3 (3mi - run)
    12/4 (1.9mi - walk)
    12/5 (X- 💃🏼 DDR 💃🏼 -X)
    12/6 (3mi - run) (.7mi walk)
    12/7 (rest day!)
    12/8 (3mi - run) (1.7mi - walk)
    12/9 (5.5mi - walk)
    12/10 (3.5mi - run)
    12/11 (rest)
    12/12 (sick)
    12/13 (sick)
    12/14 (sick)
    12/15 (social obligations)
    12/16 (3.1mi - run) (1mi - walk)
    12/17 (3mi - run) (3.5mi - walk)

Run: 22.1mi/30mi
    Walk: 16.5mi/30mi

I did intervals today bc I wasn’t quite feeling up to a long (for me) run. 1.5mi run, 1.5mi walk, 1mi run, 1mi walk, .5mi run and then walked home. I find my hips want to swing uncontrollably when I shift to a walk and it’s super awkward for a couple minutes.

We haven’t been to the wizarding world yet and are waiting for the girls to be a bit older. Our extended family goes to Disney at least every other year and we normally join them for that, but one of these years we’re going to go! I’ll probably be a bigger goof than my kids about it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ No shame.

My kids have only heard the first two books. I agreed to read one of the books every October as a read-aloud and don’t let them read ahead. 🤣 They are only 6&8 so the later stuff would be too much anyhow. So they’ve read and seen the first two. We homeschool so spoilers are a lot easier to avoid, too.

Anyone play the Hogwart’s Battle board game? We have a small group of friends right now struggling to beat the box of monsters. 😂
  • PastorVincent
    Elise4270 wrote: »

OT

At docs office about grody toe. My feet are so grody and calloused and dirty because i ran in mud yesterday and it got in my shoe .. i showered but... Ya know soap runs down and thats the wash... I think scrubbing your feet in the shower would be a fall hazard, least for me it would. I did remember to put lotion on... It is not making this less embarrassing. I haven't shaved my legs in months either... I wonder if he'll notice. My nail are long too. But to be fair, he told me to leave it (the toe) alone, so i left them all alone. I chose not to tempt myself with said grody toe.

Anyone else this gross? Ugh. People are just gross. I'm gross. I also quit taking my rosecea med and my face is irritating and flakey. Nope. Arm pits are like yetis in a head lock. Haha! Look ma, I'm a teenage boy :blush:

Wait. I do have on deodorant. And am showered in clean clothes.

You could sit down to wash your feet... just saying :)
  • PastorVincent
    LadySaton wrote: »

My kids have only heard the first two books. I agreed to read one of the books every October as a read-aloud and don’t let them read ahead. 🤣 They are only 6&8 so the later stuff would be too much anyhow. So they’ve read and seen the first two. We homeschool so spoilers are a lot easier to avoid, too.

Anyone play the Hogwart’s Battle board game? We have a small group of friends right now struggling to beat the box of monsters. 😂

No? I must Google this game!
  • LadySaton
    No? I must Google this game!
    I reeeeaaaaally like it a lot. The first few years are really easy (if you are used to somewhat complex board game mechanics), but the later years can be really challenging and the Box of Monsters expansion has proven really difficult for my group.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2018
    well, there is run universal but no potter specific run.
    but it might be the next best thing. minion 5k
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Leg day today, squats and deadlifts at the 250lb chart, with hamstring curls and leg extensions as well as seated calf raises for a total of 1 hour strength training. Looking forward to an awesome run tomorrow, looking forward even more to Friday evening when holiday starts for me(no work for 9 days) and plenty of time to run.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    OMG I finally caught up! Woo! No running for a few days for me - I went to Sioux Falls this weekend for our annual friends holiday party, which was a lot of fun but I'm definitely going to need a day or two to recover. Thankfully that was the entirety of our holiday obligations this year, as we've begged off of celebrating Christmas his his folks because of house-buying fatigue. Chris and I are not holiday people at all and I'm looking forward to a couple weeks of peace and quiet and getting the house in order and (hopefully) today's sun will stick around long enough for me to get a couple of runs in.

@mbaker566: Funny that y'all mention Harry Potter, as I've been debating finally pulling the trigger on my stars tattoos - I want them on my ankles and am anticipating possibly needing to take a week or two off of running while they heal. Not that there's ever a good time for that, but since I don't have a race until the end of January now seems as good a time as any. Also, our spare room is called "The Room of Requirement".

@LadySaton: I hadn't heard of that game - I'll put it on my wish list! I love co-op games - I've got one group going on Pandemic Legacy right now and my husband's favorite board game is probably Betrayal at House on the Hill (one of your group usually ends up being a secret traitor but otherwise it's co-op).

@Orphia: I joined the soon-to-be-former HRC (it's being renamed the Potterhead Running Club for legal reasons) last year - I absolutely love the medal designs and the online community is pretty neat, if a little bigger and less focused than I'd strictly prefer. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to continue to participate in 2019 - I find races to be great motivation, but am not sure if virtual races hold the same appeal. I do love their medal designs, though, and they work with some great charities.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,262 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    well, there is run universal but no potter specific run.
    but it might be the next best thing. minion 5k

God, I hate the minions.... can't do it. I don't think I could handle high pitched nonsensical babbling at crazy o'clock in the morning. Come on Harry Potter Run!!
  • LadySaton
    @MegaMooseEsq I don’t have Pandemic Legacy yet, but I do have Pandemic and one of the expansions and it’s frequently in rotation on game days. Plus it’s one that the husband and I will pull out even if it’s just us. I also have it for iOS and find it a good way to pass time in waiting rooms. The couple we play with just gave me Betrayal at House on the Hill for Christmas (early gift exchange) and we played for the first time on Saturday. It was really fun, but the player that turned traitor didn’t read his rules very well and unintentionally cheated. So we all made a mental note to read the rules really well if you are the traitor because there’s no one to help catch mistakes!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Oh. Erm. Harry Potter. It was....okay. Somewhat repetitive, but as long as I reminded myself the age bracket it was written for that was fine. I’m surprised it’s still a thing though (a Harry Potter shop has only recently opened near me).

Way way better though is the Philip Pullman series ‘His Dark Materials’. A modern day fairy tale complete with all the darkness of the original Brother’s Grimm.

I will also say that in terms of popular books....I didn’t get very far in that fifty shades thing before being bored. :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

OT

At docs office about grody toe. My feet are so grody and calloused and dirty because i ran in mud yesterday and it got in my shoe .. i showered but... Ya know soap runs down and thats the wash... I think scrubbing your feet in the shower would be a fall hazard, least for me it would. I did remember to put lotion on... It is not making this less embarrassing. I haven't shaved my legs in months either... I wonder if he'll notice. My nail are long too. But to be fair, he told me to leave it (the toe) alone, so i left them all alone. I chose not to tempt myself with said grody toe.

Anyone else this gross? Ugh. People are just gross. I'm gross. I also quit taking my rosecea med and my face is irritating and flakey. Nope. Arm pits are like yetis in a head lock. Haha! Look ma, I'm a teenage boy :blush:

Not in the shower i cant, its just a shower. Omg the shower drain would be WAY to close to my bottom and who knows what dwells there. *Shudder*.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Also, our spare room is called "The Room of Requirement".

Team name for grabs there, The run of requirement
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member

OT

Not in the shower i cant, its just a shower. Omg the shower drain would be WAY to close to my bottom and who knows what dwells there. *Shudder*.

You are aware that there are shower seats made for that purpose? If those look expensive, a plastic lawn chair might work.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I already knew this, but my doctor happened to mention that you should never run when taking NSAIDs such as ibuprofen because it damages your kidneys.

I was going to say this but @orphia already did! We all have heard the NSAIDs can hurt out kidneys it taken for too long or taking too much but when your body is under physical stress like running the impact to your kidneys can be really severe, even if you have taken the appropriate dose and not been using for a long period. There was a good article about it I think in Runners World. I will have to see if I can find it.