December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,659 Member
    @workaholic_nurse ikr? But try telling my doctor that. Same doctor though who has not even commented on the fact I quit smoking and lost 29 kilos, so it's not as if he's particularly attentive :-( Tbh almost 41 feels a hell of a lot younger than 38 did!
    Thanks everyone for your opinions/suggestions! Really interesting to see the different comments on ice and ibuprofen particularly...here in Spain that (along with rest) is pretty much the basic prescription for just about anything where no internal organs are hanging out! Yesterday I did nothing but shopping and housework and I stayed in bed really late with my coffee this morning while attacking my thighs and calves with a hand-held roller thingy under the duvet. Caused a few raised eyebrows, but felt good! lol
    My knees don't actually hurt right now, just feel a little mistreated. I'm thinking it could all just be due to everything being really really tight and abused from having been made to run all those miles they're not used to running.
    Going to take it easy today (except the ironing pile is taller than I am *sigh*) and if there's no pain in the morning I think I'll try a very gentle walk on the treadmill and see what they think. I've just about come to terms with the idea that a few down days are required, even though I'm itchy from not having run since Friday and not even being able to do it properly then. Husband's being a dick again too, which doesn't help.....me running is usually what saves his life so he could be in trouble ;-)
    Shoes..... funnily enough, I have two pairs I alternate. One are Adidas I was professionally fitted for, which I'm actually not all that keen on as they're a little narrow for comfort. The other are my favourite Asics that I had been running in even before I was fitted for the others and have never given me any trouble (or a single blister, which the Adidas sometimes do!). Coincidentally, I ran the HM in the Asics, and I was wearing them again on Friday when the pain started. However, they both have about 220km on them and that includes warm-up and cool-down walks, so I don't think they could be worn out yet. Would be VERY annoying if they are!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Things I’ve learnt since I’ve been injured:
    1. Mowing lawns for two hours straight burns marginally more calories than a half hour run
    2. There are 42 calories in a single scorched almond
    3. No running means a lot less laundry

#3 is so true! :lol:

Sorry, you are down and out, but think of the savings on your water bill! That will help pay for the next running accessory! :wink:
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,353 Member
    Ouch. Yours sounds way worse than mine. And tell me about the weight gain!! I love to eat and it’s Christmas, the season of yummy treats and overindulgence!! I can feel myself getting fatter at the thought.
    Hahaha I sometimes think I do gain weight just thinking about food. Enjoy the season of yummy treats. Hope your calf heals quickly and you can get back into running before you start the upward weight cycle. You look really fit in your picture, so I doubt you'll have the same problem I did.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @orphia the conclusion of the study. "These discoveries may explain why shoes with more cushioning do not protect against impact-related running injuries."

It is one study. And one must remember to run in what works best for ones self. I personally need minimal cushion. Overly cushioned shoes do cause me to over stride, run too fast for my ability and allow my glutes to turn off. But that's me. Others without my issues, may have no problems with the cushion. My retired dentist runs Boston, Chicago etc and loves the overly cushioned shoes.

The study defines "more cushioning" as maximalist. i.e. more than regular cushioning.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,266 Member
    Things I’ve learnt since I’ve been injured:
    1. Mowing lawns for two hours straight burns marginally more calories than a half hour run
    2. There are 42 calories in a single scorched almond
    3. No running means a lot less laundry

Oh, the laundry!!!!! It is never ending!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Did not run yesterday, introduced my son to the second movie in the Harry Potter series. His *ahem*female friend*ahem* is a huge fan, so we have started him seeing the series so he will at least get some of her jokes. :) I have only actually read the first 3 books myself, so I guess I am finally going to read them all while we are at it.

Whaaa? Oh they just get better and better! Enjoy.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,115 Member
    edited December 2018
    December goal: 60 miles

12/1: 5.11 miles
    12/4: 6.25 miles
    12/5: 3.11 miles
    12/9: 9.02 miles
    12/11: 3.12 miles
    12/12: 3.12 miles
    12/13: 5.11 miles
    12/16: 4.61 miles

39.45/60 miles completed

It has been a long weekend. We went to Denton to see our son graduate from UNT. I wasn't sure if I would get a run in this weekend, but I did manage to get 4.61 miles this afternoon after we got home. It was a really good run. Now I have to get ready for work tomorrow. I just told my husband that even though we both took off work Friday and had a 3 day weekend it doesn't seem like we had a weekend at all.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K - 30.05 official time - 1st place female/3rd overall