December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - is there a way to edit the title? I couldn't see it but I know in other groups I have been able to.

I was also going to repost the link in the challenge 'announcement list' to add 'January 2019' but forgot to add that and just reposted the link.... it won't even let me edit the post there.

Ya I thought i could edit the title and its contents indefinitely. Something may have changed or i made that part up.
    Grrr! And i tried so hard no to goof it up!

Did you contact the mods? What did they say?

I didn’t hear back, or if I have I haven’t noticed yet. All day I kept checking my email and mfp messages. Least it’s done!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Well, I left without my hand warmers. Dummy me. Temp was 46 to start, and knew I would need heavy gloves, but thought I could get away without burning a handwarmer set. Temp fell to the thirties by the time I got back though. Fingers where soooooooo cold.

Pulled them out of the glove/mitten combo and yep. Stark white. I mean I am "white boy" but this was way white. Like white paint white. Tried to take a picture but could not get my fingers working enough. Till they warmed up and were not nearly as white. Hurt though.

So I guess that is the final confirmation. I can add Raynaud's to the list of things wrong with me. Yay!

Well, you have plenty of company with it. Last 2 years was the worst I’d experienced. I think with surgery it was exacerbated. They had to stop several times because my temp dropped too low. I didn’t feel cold though. I remember waking up to shoving the warmed blanket off complaining it was hot. Must have been the anesthesia . Luckily this year it’s rarely been a problem. It’s still been rather warm here though. Maybe come February I’ll retract that statement. So here’s hope that it’s something you can recover (slightly) from. Just make sure you don’t get cold :smile: Consider a move to Florida perhaps. I bet there are no cold fingers there!

ETA @eleanorhawkins So sorry to hear about the knees. Keep us update on the physio results and your prognosis. Knee pain is horrible. I have one that’s been slightly bothersome the last few years. It now wants to be cranky and try to swell a bit. I suspect mine is a hip issue that’s caused, hopefully just a bakers cyst, and will magically line out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent At least you know it's Raynaud's and can make adjustments and allowances in your activities/clothing for it. We have a friend in our little club who has it and on the really cold days he just says nope not doing it - Like you he also uses the hand warmers - he got some light weight polypropylene wicking gloves modified with a little pocket on the palm and back of the hand where he can insert the chemical hand warmers - as he would say its a 2 pack day for the cold days. They are inner liners for his main glove. I believe he said he bought 2 pairs and took them to a lady who does sewing/repairs and she cut the one pair up and sewed it onto the other one with a chemical pack as a size model. I think someone posted a link or picture to gloves that actually had a pocket in them.

That was me :) These...

11p8i3wqf99d.png

The are $20 on Amazon

I have them. When I put the warmer in they work great. At least down to the 20s F. Had not considered putting 2 in at once. That is a good idea.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Time to take stock of my 2018 goals and see how I did. In the January 2018 thread I stated the following goals:

2018 Goals
    • 1500 total miles - Fail - I'll finish with about 1000 miles, my lowest total yet in a full year of running.
    • 500 trail miles - Fail - I came close at 468 miles.
    • Run every road in town (about 250 miles of running) - Fail - I had this broken down into 33 runs. I completed 25 of them. I started out great, getting those 25 runs done by April 21st, then just got out of the habit. Oh well, this wasn't a huge goal.
    • First 50 Mile race - Zumbro 50, April 14th - Fail - I got my first DNF, completing 34 out of 50 miles in a nasty blizzard, due to multiple reasons, after ITB syndrome hampered my training. This was probably the most devastating fail and I went into a running funk for while after this.
    • Three ultramarathons - Psycho WyCo 50K, Zumbro 50M, Superior 50K - Fail. ITB issues forced me to do the 20M race at Pyscho Wyco (which went very well), then the aforementioned DNF at Zumbro, but I ended it with a solid successful run at the Superior 50K. My 43.8 mile finish at Loopet Loppet does count, so in the end I finished with 2 ultras.
    • 5K road PR (currently 23:44) - Fail - The closest I came was 24:24
    • 10K road PR (currently 1:03:42 - beating this is a gimmee. Current PR was set 3 months after I started running) - Fail, but only because I never ran a 10K in 2018.
    • Distance PR of 50 miles (currently 31 miles) - Fail, but I did set a distance PR of 43.8 miles in the Loopet Loppet in October....which led to my major injury of 2018.
    • Avoid running breaks of 7 days or more - Fail
    • Avoid injury - Fail

So, if my math is right, that's 0 goals met, 10 goals failed. hmmm...I don't feel like that much of a failure. Oh well, the only way forward is forward.
    (See #s I added above)
    1 & 2 with your injury, this wasn't a full year of running
    3 Wouldn't the 34 at Zumbro count as your third ultra?
    4 a PR is a PR

Definitely not a failure!
    This year, add some "B" goals to your plans!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 My husband wants to know, when you DNF 34 miles out in a snowstorm, how do you get back? Do they have a snowmobile or something to take you to the starting area?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    (See #s I added above)
    1 & 2 with your injury, this wasn't a full year of running
    3 Wouldn't the 34 at Zumbro count as your third ultra?
    4 a PR is a PR

Definitely not a failure!
    This year, add some "B" goals to your plans!

That's a good question, and one I've contemplated often. It really depends on how you define the goal I guess. I certainly ran an ultra distance, and given the conditions, I'm actually quite proud of what I did that day (There was only a 25% finish rate for the 50M, and only a 17% finish rate for the 100M). But...I didn't finish. I didn't get the medal. In my mind it does not count as an ultra finish.

And really, other than getting injured, I don't feel like the year was a failure. I set high goals, I didn't see any of them through, but what I did, I'm proud of. Avoiding injury will be the top goal for 2019 and I'll gladly trade away any other goal in pursuit of that one.

For those who weren't around last April, the weather conditions for that Zumbro race were epic. The 50M race started at midnight. Just before the race there was a thunderstorm, which turned into sleet and just about race time, turned into heavy snow. We had 10 inches of snow during the night and next day, along with hellacious winds, gusting to 70 mph. There was one ridge in particular where it was blowing in so hard that you could not see the tracks of the runners ahead of you. The 100 mile racers had it worse as they had to start 17 hours earlier in very wet, muddy conditions. While it was one of the most ferocious races I've ever experienced, it was also the most magnificent run I've ever had. I'd gladly pay $1000 to run that again in the same conditions if the weather could be guaranteed.

One of the more serene parts of the trail that day
    59ls59sp5kfw.jpg

Hats off to you, sir. 34 miles in those conditions sounds brutal. That is a beautiful picture, though.