December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,262 Member
    Did not run yesterday, introduced my son to the second movie in the Harry Potter series. His *ahem*female friend*ahem* is a huge fan, so we have started him seeing the series so he will at least get some of her jokes. :) I have only actually read the first 3 books myself, so I guess I am finally going to read them all while we are at it.

I agree with @Elise4270 that the series just gets better!! My daughter is also a huge fan and finished the series this year. She's already talking about re-reading them!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Did not run yesterday, introduced my son to the second movie in the Harry Potter series. His *ahem*female friend*ahem* is a huge fan, so we have started him seeing the series so he will at least get some of her jokes. :) I have only actually read the first 3 books myself, so I guess I am finally going to read them all while we are at it.

Whaaa? Oh they just get better and better! Enjoy.

I agree with @Elise4270 The books are awesome, and the movies are very well done.

@PastorVincent Did you know there's a Hogwarts Running Club? They do lots of virtual races with fantastic bling and raise money for charities.

http://www.hogwartsrunningclub.org/
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 593 Member
    1215-6k total-27.3k, goal-60k

I hate dreadmills. The only empty dreadmill in the gym kept stopping on me. No wonder it was empty. So I think I did 6k.

Did I mention I hate dreadmills?

@ContraryMaryMary @eleanorhawkins @amirahdaboss Hugs to everyone with aches and pains, get well soon!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

mbaker566 wrote: »

I've listened to all the books, i watch the entire series a few times a year. Including this weekend. My shoulder tattoo has the stars from the top of the pages. I have harry potter art waiting to be framed. My extra room will be done in gryffindor colors. I have nox/lumos light switches.
    I'm a bit of a fan

Seems there are a couple-few of you in this thread! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Whaaa? Oh they just get better and better! Enjoy.

I agree with @Elise4270 The books are awesome, and the movies are very well done.

@PastorVincent Did you know there's a Hogwarts Running Club? They do lots of virtual races with fantastic bling and raise money for charities.

http://www.hogwartsrunningclub.org/

What I am doing is rereading (well listening while I run) each book, then we rent the movie from streaming and watch it. I am currently re-reading book3, so that will be the next movie.
  • martaindale
    @amymoreorless When I was researching races for next year, I saw the Stars at Night half. I'd love to hear more about what it was like. From the site it seemed like it was mostly barely lit golf cart trails. The idea of running at night in the middle of nowhere seemed like it could either be pretty fun and unique OR weird and disorienting.
    I'm doing my first half next year, so I doubt I would even consider it until the year after. Not sure it seems like a great first or second half marathon for newish runners!

@martaindale It was fun! I went with a friend who won 2 free race entries. They do a lot of giveaways on their Facebook page. I suggest you check that out if you are interested.

The resort is NICE and the after-race stuff was fun. Tacos, hot cocoa, music, a fire pit.... it was a party.

I don’t know how they normally have the course set up but they changed it 2 days before the race this year. One of the trails washed away because of rain and it was under construction. Most of the race went through the golf course. It was super dark and you definitely need a headlamp. The race cut through some trails but they had volunteers with glow sticks directing traffic at those turns. The golf cart path was paved and marked with giant green glow stick looking things every 1/4 mile or so.

I went into the 1/2 knowing I was not going to race it. I wanted to stick with my friend who got me the free race entry. She tried the race a few years ago and dropped to the 10k because she fell. I was worried about leaving her on her own. She does walk / run intervals so walking the trail parts was no big deal. There is a 4 hour cut off time so, if you decide to do the race, you will be okay walking the short dark trail areas. There were lots of people walking those parts with us.

Oh! They have a $300 prize for best costume. Some of the things people ran in were amazing! I will probably do it again next year. It was a fun and no-stress getaway weekend thing.

Thanks for the info and the tip on the FB giveaway! Sounds like it could be fun! I'll definitely keep it on my radar for next year.
  • martaindale
    @mbaker566 Love the cute puppy pics! You have quite a pack!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Yes! More Harry Potter fans! Well, I think it’s more of a Harry Potter obsession for me. I reread the books all the time and do Harry Potter movie marathons every couple of months. My two cats are named Dobby and Malfoy! I went to the wizarding world of Harry Potter at universal studios in Florida a couple of years ago and literally almost died of happiness. I wish they would do a race series the way Disney does because I would be there every year!

yes please. i keep watching. even if it were the whole park with different themes.