December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Not sure ice and ibuprofen would help as "inflammation" is part of the body's healing process.
    Question for the sensible minded and the experienced runners round here (I know, not necessarily the same thing!)
    I know full well that it's a waste of time and space even asking this and that common sense must prevail but I seem to have lost mine.
    As you all know (from how much I've gone on and on about it) I ran my first HM last Sunday. It was the furthest I'd ever run so I expected to be sore, especially as my legs were sore after the previous Sunday's 10 mile run. So the couple of days of sore knees and calves were not unexpected and I rested my legs dutifully. On Wednesday as they felt tight but not painful I took them for a 3 kilometre shake out run, which went ok (although the last kilometre or so was hard work). Felt fine on Thursday, did an hour's walk on the treadmill and an hour's upper body strength workout with light weights. So far so good. Yesterday I went out to run a slow 5 kilometres. After about 12 minutes my knees started to hurt. I stubbornly continued, shortening my intervals to run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute. Came home, iced them and slapped on some anti-inflamatory gel and put them up. They seemed ok, until I had to walk up a steep hill twice in the afternoon to take my daughter to a class. The second time I had to walk down that hill it felt like my left knee was on fire, and by the time I got home everything from my hip to my ankle on that side felt like it was in a scalding iron brace. The other knee was complaining too, but not so badly.
    So rest of the day on the sofa with feet up and cold compresses, and more anti-inflamatory gel before bed.
    This morning they don't feel too bad yet but I haven't moved much, I'm pretty scared of how they'll react when I do. Stuck a couple of those nasty cheap elasticated knee support bandage things over them just cause they were in a cupboard.
    Ok, so, I realise that I should probably not even try to run for a couple of days, even though my plan had been to try and get 6-8km in tomorrow. What worries me is how much rest I can get away with without it affecting my fitness level I suppose?
    I have a 14 week training plan for another HM which starts on Tuesday and should have me run 20km altogether for the week. Should I skip that entire week? If I do will I be ok to jump straight into 4 runs totally 21km in a week after 2 weeks off? Should I just take tomorrow and Monday off then maybe try to just do 3km runs next week instead of longer ones?
    I know, none of you are doctors or can tell me what to do, guess I'm just using this as somewhere to write down all the thoughts spinning round and round my head. What I'm secretly hoping is that one of you is Harry Potter and can point your wand at my knees and turn them into nice young healthy uncomplaining joints that allow me to run all the miles without them *kitten* up my plans!

Reading this through again.

It was your first HM. Again, congratulations.

DOMS would hit after around 2 days. You went running the third day, then 1hr walk the fourth day. The next day your knees hurt going up and down hills.

Hills hurt at the best of times! You did them on top of fairly normal training instead of downtime after a distance PB.

A distance PB needs a recovery plan just as it needed a training plan. I know a first 42.2 km needs a month to build back up to regular running.

Not being able to run will increase your frustration, so try some new things like relaxation, flexibility, and balance sessions, and enjoy a well-earned rest.

Your knees may be fine before you have your appointment.

This sounds like excellent advice. I've had basically a month off since my half and it's been frustrating and annoying but I noticed yesterday all the assorted niggles and annoying pains I'd been feeling since the HM have all gone. I'm planning on getting slowly back into things on Monday.

Also, as always, consider your shoes. How old are they, both your running and walking? I bought a new pair of work shoes 3 weeks ago. Wore them for a. Week but had to stop because I was getting tendon issues again. Not suitable foe me, and it screwed my running AND walking. That also set me back a couple lof weeks. (grrrrrr) Knee issues can also come from shoes.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---2.01
    2---2.0 TM
    4---1.0 TM barefoot for form
    9---3.0 TM
    11---2.0 TM
    14---2.0 TM
    15---4.0 intervals

16/45 miles

Upcoming races
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
    Run the Year team A 400+ miles
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Not sure ice and ibuprofen would help as "inflammation" is part of the body's healing process.

IN GENERAL - Avoid ice and ibuprofen as much as you can. They hinder the body's natural healing process.

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV though it could be a fun role someday if somehow I ever end up on TV.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any alternatives to the cool year-end Strava visualizations so many of you did last year using madewithsisu.com ? It seems the site has disappeared :( or maybe I (and everyone with online links to it) have the wrong address.

Yep, looks like it's no longer available, but you can use Strartwork to get something very similar, and then edit the image to add any customizations. Example, here's a real quick one of mine for this year so far:
    ypdd7c04eh3m.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I ran a Christmas 5k with my 11 year old this morning. He ran it in 27 min 32 sec. and was 8th in his age group (11-14) pretty darn good!! I just wanted to brag. Don’t need to share my time because it sucked haha

That is great! My 15year does not want to run with us :(
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Too cool @garygse ! Love the graphic!