December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have new running shoes! I already mentioned before, I have three pairs I will retire soon, so I ordered three new pairs, and they arrived yesterday. So prepare yourselves for lots of shoes pictures this week :D

The first ones I tested are Merrell Bare Access Flex Knit. I tried them out tonight. They are on the minimalist side, but the sole feels a bit stiffer/more solid than for the other pair of Merrells I own (Road Glove Dash 3). Not 100% sure yet what I think of that. But I like the soft upper material.

tsqkvr65t18z.jpg

---

2.12. - 14.7km run
    4.12 - 5.9km run

oh i like the look of those
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I have new running shoes! I already mentioned before, I have three pairs I will retire soon, so I ordered three new pairs, and they arrived yesterday. So prepare yourselves for lots of shoes pictures this week :D

The first ones I tested are Merrell Bare Access Flex Knit. I tried them out tonight. They are on the minimalist side, but the sole feels a bit stiffer/more solid than for the other pair of Merrells I own (Road Glove Dash 3). Not 100% sure yet what I think of that. But I like the soft upper material.

tsqkvr65t18z.jpg

---

2.12. - 14.7km run
    4.12 - 5.9km run

oh i like the look of those
    Me too. Not pink or orange! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    SALE ALERT

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com
    The Joe’s New Balance Holiday Warehouse Sale takes up to 60% off select styles. Prices are as marked. You can score great deals on shoes, apparel, accessories, and more. Free shipping on orders of $75 or more. The men’s and women’s Fresh Foam Lazr Sport Sneakers are on sale for $36, which is down from the original rate of $90. These shoes were designed to fit your foot like a sock for support and their cushioned insole promotes comfort. Plus, both styles are available in six colors. Head below to find the rest of our top picks.

Our top picks for men include:
    Fresh Foam Lazr Sport $36 (Orig. $90)
    Fresh Foam 818v3 $34 (Orig. $75)
    Fresh Foam Cruz $32 (Orig. $80)
    247 Sport Sneakers $36 (Orig. $90)
    Our top picks for women include:
    247 Classic $32 (Orig. $80)
    Fresh Foam Lazr Sport $36 (Orig. $90)
    247 Winter Shimmer $32 (Orig. $80)
    Fresh Foam Cruz $32 (Orig. $80)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Looking through your race list...let me offer up something for your consideration. You have the four ESTRS races, which is great! I think you're going to really enjoy trail racing. What about a fall trail race? Two great options are the Surly Trail Loppet, which is Sept 21st at Wirth Park. 5K, 7Mi, and HM options. I really enjoy this one.

A second one to consider is the Big Woods Run on October 12th. It south of town, just south of Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. There is about 3 miles of paved/gravel road on the trail, but it's usually the peak of fall colors, the wooded parts are gorgeous, and the church which hosts it are so very welcoming. 5K, 10K, and HM options.

I wish I could run the Securian race in January! This will be the second year in a row I'll miss it due to injury. I could do the 5K I suppose, but I'm not going to pay $50 for a race I can't race.

I see the Polar Dash and the Get Lucky races on your schedule. Polar Dash (and Monster Dash, Get Lucky, Women Rock and Minneapolis Marathon) are all run by a company called Team Ortho. Check out that link to see what kind of company they are. They've gotten such bad press for their shenanigans and shady practices that their race registrations have dropped drastically. They've gotten such bad press that they don't even use the name "Team Ortho" on their race site any longer. My first half was their Monster Dash in 2015 and the bad press came out just after that. I'll never run in one of their races again. I sorry to be negative, but runners need to know about this group.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    One of my "jogger" friends sent me this
    1ze5hwers7bu.jpeg

I laughed at her and kept running down the park trail.

Definitely a must have on the runners Christmas list!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq Looking through your race list...let me offer up something for your consideration. You have the four ESTRS races, which is great! I think you're going to really enjoy trail racing. What about a fall trail race? Two great options are the Surly Trail Loppet, which is Sept 21st at Wirth Park. 5K, 7Mi, and HM options. I really enjoy this one.

A second one to consider is the Big Woods Run on October 12th. It south of town, just south of Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. There is about 3 miles of paved/gravel road on the trail, but it's usually the peak of fall colors, the wooded parts are gorgeous, and the church which hosts it are so very welcoming. 5K, 10K, and HM options.

I wish I could run the Securian race in January! This will be the second year in a row I'll miss it due to injury. I could do the 5K I suppose, but I'm not going to pay $50 for a race I can't race.

I see the Polar Dash and the Get Lucky races on your schedule. Polar Dash (and Monster Dash, Get Lucky, Women Rock and Minneapolis Marathon) are all run by a company called Team Ortho. Check out that link to see what kind of company they are. They've gotten such bad press for their shenanigans and shady practices that their race registrations have dropped drastically. They've gotten such bad press that they don't even use the name "Team Ortho" on their race site any longer. My first half was their Monster Dash in 2015 and the bad press came out just after that. I'll never run in one of their races again. I sorry to be negative, but runners need to know about this group.

I did a monster dash too with them in 2015. Loved the swag, best race jacket i have... But i agree. They dont have the best rep. So we avoid them too.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track imo

Good Lord. I hate the treadmill. If running on a treadmill is better than something that is better than indoor running, I'm in trouble!

I would disagree with the order. Outside running is best. Outdoor track next, indoor track after that, the treadmill DFL.

In February 2016, there was a Saturday when it was so cold and windy that all the group runs were canceled, the Freezeroo race that day was called off because it was too cold for the police to be out controlling traffic, and my training plan called for 22 miles. I thought I couldn't do more than 10 to 13 miles outside in the conditions. I considered running 5 mile laps outside from my home, and discarded the thought because the temptation to quit early would be very high.

I ended up running my 22 miles as 177 laps of a 200m indoor track. It was long, it was tedious, I learned something about managing distance on a track. (Key was letting my Garmin keep track of how many 8-lap miles I had run.) Later someone pointed out that I could have just used a treadmill in the same facility. I stared at him. I had never considered attempting a 22 mile run on a treadmill.

I've thought about this many times, and I always come back to the same conclusion: Running 22 miles on a 200m indoor track was awful, but it was better than running on a treadmill.

Another trick for tracks is to carry pennies. Drop a penny each lap, and when you run out stop. Though 177 pennies would be a lot to deal with :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track imo

Good Lord. I hate the treadmill. If running on a treadmill is better than something that is better than indoor running, I'm in trouble!

I would disagree with the order. Outside running is best. Outdoor track next, indoor track after that, the treadmill DFL.

In February 2016, there was a Saturday when it was so cold and windy that all the group runs were canceled, the Freezeroo race that day was called off because it was too cold for the police to be out controlling traffic, and my training plan called for 22 miles. I thought I couldn't do more than 10 to 13 miles outside in the conditions. I considered running 5 mile laps outside from my home, and discarded the thought because the temptation to quit early would be very high.

I ended up running my 22 miles as 177 laps of a 200m indoor track. It was long, it was tedious, I learned something about managing distance on a track. (Key was letting my Garmin keep track of how many 8-lap miles I had run.) Later someone pointed out that I could have just used a treadmill in the same facility. I stared at him. I had never considered attempting a 22 mile run on a treadmill.

I've thought about this many times, and I always come back to the same conclusion: Running 22 miles on a 200m indoor track was awful, but it was better than running on a treadmill.

Kind of funny, last winter when I had the gym at work we had an inside track. If it was too cold to run outside, I hoped on the dreadmill. Running for hours around that 200m track was not something that even occurred to me as an option.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Kind of funny, last winter when I had the gym at work we had an inside track. If it was too cold to run outside, I hoped on the dreadmill. Running for hours around that 200m track was not something that even occurred to me as an option.

One of the things that helps the track be less monotonous is having other runners on the track. I spent a lot of time being aware of the people who were running 2 abreast on a nominally 3 lane track that was actually 2 good lanes plus some wide spots. I was annoyed at them breaking the rules, till they left; then it got more boring without having to think about how I would pass them.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

One of the things that helps the track be less monotonous is having other runners on the track. I spent a lot of time being aware of the people who were running 2 abreast on a nominally 3 lane track that was actually 2 good lanes plus some wide spots. I was annoyed at them breaking the rules, till they left; then it got more boring without having to think about how I would pass them.

On the flip side... one of the things that made the dreadmills slightly bearable was that you could set an average incline and it would vary the incline to match a trail it had on the screen. Mine at home does not do that, and it does make it a bit more dread.
  • rg4517rg
    rg4517rg Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This December, I'm focusing on burning fat and losing inches around my body. I will be mixing up running on the treadmill with weight training and at home exercises. I have been stressing out quite a bit, so spending time at TruFit is key to getting my mind back in alignment. The one thing that I love about the gym I go to is that they have a low lit cardio room with treadmill machines. There's rarely anyone there and I like it that way, it helps me focus on my goals more. :) As far as nutrition goes, I'm trying to eliminate lean meat entirely and stick to chicken, fish, and vegetables.

12/3 - 5 miles
    12/4 - Cheat Day (Whataburger)
    12/5 -
    12/6 -
    12/7 -
    12/8 -
    12/9 -
    12/10 -

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    So instead of running I tossed on a Fitness Blender video and did an upper body dumbbell workout, my first strength workout in a couple of months! For the next two weeks my goal is going to be three days running, two days core or upper body workouts. I did a lot of Fitness Blender videos last winter and really enjoyed the variety. I never did many of their dumbbell workouts as I preferred a more straightforward progressive program once I got into lifting, but considering how badly my strength training has stalled, I think that this will be a good way to ease back in.

@MegaMooseEsq if you haven't come across it already, have a look for their 60 minute Tabata upper body dumbbell workout. That has to be my favourite for when I can't run and need something that will leave me feeling I've done something!

@Avidkeo glad the lurgy passed quickly and you're bouncing back.