Apple cider vinegar!

Options
A friend adviced me to buy apple cider vinegar to loose more. Does it really work?

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    no.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I hear the type with "mother" is supposed to be good for you but I can't recall why.

It because it makes you nauseated, which leads to "weight loss".

I tried it once, because I was curious. Tasted exactly like bile. Nasty, nasty stuff! But it did put me off food for a bit, at least until I could rinse my mouth out with Listerine. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I took if for months for something unrelated to weight loss and it had no effect on either condition.

I do use Bragg's for cooking and the big cheap gallons of ACV for cleaning, especially to get the "new clothes smell" out of new clothes. (They will reek of vinegar when wet but the smell is not noticeable to me when dry.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Nope but it makes nice salad dressings and bbq ribs

This
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I hear the type with "mother" is supposed to be good for you but I can't recall why.

Because of probiotics, which may turn out to be good for people, but the scientific jury's still out on the question. (The "mother" is just the vinegar culture, nothing exotic.)

Drank it for weeks at a time (for other reasons, still speculative) during meticulously-logged weight loss, and didn't drink it for weeks at a time during the same.

It made zero difference in my weight loss rate, and didn't affect appetite. (I actually like its taste, even plain).

The (better) science also suggests no weight loss effect.

Yes, probiotics. So possibly good for you -- although there are many other sources of probiotics, and apple cider vinegar with the mother isn't different than other types with the mother (which are available in my groceries, anyway). ACV (or Bragg's specifically) just is good at marketing. But nothing to do with weight loss.

Anyway, I enjoy vinegar, but for most people using it in salad dressing or cooking is going to be more enjoyable than drinking it with only water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Because of probiotics, which may turn out to be good for people, but the scientific jury's still out on the question. (The "mother" is just the vinegar culture, nothing exotic.)

The most recent opinion seems to be that probiotics do nothing for the vast majority of people but can be helpful for those who just finished a course of antibiotics.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The most recent opinion seems to be that probiotics do nothing for the vast majority of people but can be helpful for those who just finished a course of antibiotics.

With due respect, as I believe your field is science, and mine isn't: I'm still reading studies, and hedging my bets.

From what I've read, I'm inclined to agree with you about commercial probiotic supplements.

My amateur's sense has been that the contribution and role of our microbiome is really only just beginning to be investigated seriously, and that the specific role of various microorganisms is still mostly poorly understood. My impresssion is that there seems to be some hint that healthy diversity is good (without much clarity about the definition of "healthy diversity") and that a very limited diversity tends to correlate with some negative outcomes (without much clarity about why such a thing should be so).

Since humans have been eating certain probiotic foods for millennia, I expect those will prove to be safe (vinegars are one). Since many of them are also (IMO) tasty, and make a good nutritional contribution to my eating, I'll continue making it a point to consume them. Like I said, hedging my bets.

I skip the ones that aren't tasty IMO, however safe. Kombucha is so far still in that category, but I haven't tried making my own.

Edited: missing word.

Also eta: Even so, the reason I said what I did about the belief regarding ACV being "good for you", was to explain the belief, not to support it. I should've said so. My main reason for drinking ACV (rather than just putting it in food) is an N = 1 experiment (one I wouldn't perform if I didn't like the stuff). As I read it, there's reason to believe that stomach acidity declines in some people as we age; I'm pretty old. Since I've been diagnosed with IBSC in the past, the experiment is about whether consuming some seems to help keep unpleasant symptoms at bay. Jury's still out on benefits; no sign of harms so far (and I've had various GI scopes for other reasons, and see a dentist regularly).
  • nyahela
    nyahela Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really hate the taste