It’s cold out and I don’t want to go to the gym!

Options
Anyone else feel this way? Urggg need motivation!

Replies

• AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do, especially since I'm not a fan of the cold! I'm not sure what your situation is (how far the gym is, if your car's heat can go full blast, etc) but it helps me to wake up 10-15 minutes early to thaw out. Then, I like to do some warm up exercises to get my heart going like jumping jacks, running in place, push-ups, even burpees (oh lawwwd lol). That helps me get my blood going and my face flushed. I bolt to my car, where I crank the heat up, and make it to the gym. I hope that helps :D
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes but mostly because I don't want to take the bus to the gym.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Loathe the gym in the winter.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I mean I don't necessarily enjoy waking up at 5am to get to the boathouse at 5:30 and I don't like the idea of going out of the house in shorts and a t-shirt (with a jacket on) when it's cold outside. That said, doing that involves being out of a warm location for less than 5 minutes in total so it's really not a big deal.

So yeah, in short, convince yourself that you won't actually be cold for a terribly long time. Also you will warm up once you get there.
  • positivevibes4u
    positivevibes4u Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Only in the fact that I hate gyms

I exercise outside no matter what the weather is

You are amazing, I wish I had that motivation to go outside and work out, after all ...it’s a FREE workout 😍
  • positivevibes4u
    Options
    I do, especially since I'm not a fan of the cold! I'm not sure what your situation is (how far the gym is, if your car's heat can go full blast, etc) but it helps me to wake up 10-15 minutes early to thaw out. Then, I like to do some warm up exercises to get my heart going like jumping jacks, running in place, push-ups, even burpees (oh lawwwd lol). That helps me get my blood going and my face flushed. I bolt to my car, where I crank the heat up, and make it to the gym. I hope that helps :D

Omg this sounds like me in the cold!!! Yasss this helps !!
  • positivevibes4u
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not really. It's just weather, and if you live in a place like I do, there's going to be a lot of it, for several months yet. Dress for it, and go on with your life. Or, stay home and do a video workout online or something.

Me, I'm about to head downstairs for a rowing machine workout, but tomorrow I'll go out in the predicted 28 degree F weather, because it'll be time for spin class. I expect both of those to be reasonably fun/enjoyable, so to be worth my time. I'll feel better for doing them.

Motivation is a pretty amorphous thing. Some people don't even think you need it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

Yes this is motivation!! I would love to own a rowing machine !!!!!
  • positivevibes4u
    Options
    My gym is in my basement. Doesn't TOTALLY cut out my mental griping, but it helps.

Yes, I would love to have a gym indoors!
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can go to the gym fine, but I need to walk my dog too and that is what I have been not doing lately :( It just sucks because I get home from the gym by 8pm and its cold dark no fun times for me lol >.<
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Meeeee, too! I ran about 12 miles on Sunday morning before dawn - it was 16 degrees F before wind-chill. I can't imagine being cooped up in a gym for hours with the same scenery.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You are amazing, I wish I had that motivation to go outside and work out, after all ...it’s a FREE workout 😍

Don't feel bad. A day pass at the ski area costs as much as a month at the gym.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I say embrace the cold. But then again I love being outside no matter the temperature or weather.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Workout at home? I borrow DVDs from the library, have some dumbbells and resistance bands, and have a nice collection of my own DVDs and videos to keep me busy for a long time.
  • Almagreatness
    Almagreatness Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anyone else feel this way? Urggg need motivation!

Hi, I understand. We leave in Oklahoma and I just have to make myself go, to make my goal to loose weight, and use the gym. Why I call it my winter challenge to challenge myself. So far working!

We just have to push ourself and think of the results☺️
    Best wishes!
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Seriously, there are so many beautiful places in the world. And we choose to live where it is cold af.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've only had one week of experience in being in the cold in the last 5 years (yay living in the tropics), but when I was there, I found that even though it was hard to get up to go to the gym, it was actually a really nice way to warm up and I felt a lot better after I did it. So that can be used as motivation sometimes when it is hard.