It’s cold out and I don’t want to go to the gym!

Options

Replies

• makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I split my workout up at home. I jogged in place while watching my shows. 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there. It goes by fast when watching something. Anything is better than nothing imo.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I know I know, they are my excuses 😂 I got my butt to the gym 😭

Well done!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym. I walk indoors and outdoors. I can do exercise videos too if the weather is bad.
    I have perfected my layers for outdoor walking in the cold.

Exercise will help you warm up wherever you do it. Maybe you can prepare better or have an alternative plan for cold days.
    Is your gym unheated? Do you not own clothing appropriate for the weather? Do you walk to your gym some distance? Do you have to go to that gym to exercise?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my basement. Doesn't TOTALLY cut out my mental griping, but it helps.

+1 it does help not having to face the elements :smile:
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I would make excuses but not anymore.
    Gym time has become part of my daily routine. It's non negotiable anymore.
    I get up, put on gym clothes and go, still half asleep. Once I'm there I check what I'm supposed to do (I follow a program).

Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It’s cold here for a long time (MN) you have to get out in it, or a lot of the year is missed. Yesterday, there was a beautiful hoar frost and all of the trees were gorgeous. Very calm, very little wind, magical Christmas card scene. My daily walk was beautiful!
    Glad you got to the gym!

When I lived in Minneapolis, I'd get up early to run around Lake Harriet and then Lake Calhoun with a friend. It didn't matter how cold it got--I dressed in layers. When I moved to Italy, my girlfriend said she just couldn't find anyone else that was constant. I miss the snow!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s cold here for a long time (MN) you have to get out in it, or a lot of the year is missed. Yesterday, there was a beautiful hoar frost and all of the trees were gorgeous. Very calm, very little wind, magical Christmas card scene. My daily walk was beautiful!
    Glad you got to the gym!

When I lived in Minneapolis, I'd get up early to run around Lake Harriet and then Lake Calhoun with a friend. It didn't matter how cold it got--I dressed in layers. When I moved to Italy, my girlfriend said she just couldn't find anyone else that was constant. I miss the snow!

That’s quite a run! Especially in the winter! I used to live less than a block from Lake Calhoun ( they renamed it, can’t remember the new name) on the west side. Walked & biked it many times. (Not a runner, daughter is though, it’s a favorite run for her. She ran your route many times this year training for the TC marathon) Lake Harriet rose garden is a favorite summertime destination.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    That's the EXACT reason why don't go to the gym! I work out at home. My Youtube trainers are awesome. SuperherofitnessTV, JessicaSmithTV, PopSugar Fitness, HasFit & if I really want a challenge, Millionaire Hoy. I also have some adjustable dumbbells. Of course, this may not work for someone who lifts heavy & needs a squat rack, etc. So there's no excuse for you not to work out! Get up off the couch and DO IT!!!

51wu8L0OPVL._SX425_.jpg
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Anyone else feel this way? Urggg need motivation!

Felt like that yesterday. Went in anyway and had one of my better training sessions - which is how that works for me most of the time.

It's like the times I don't want to go to church, go anyway and find out there was something I desperately needed to hear or someone who needed to hear something from me.

I try to disregard feelings and do what I know I should. It's quite a practice in discipline - something that, for me, always needs practice.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I personally find it waaaay easier to go to the gym during the winter (despite the fact that there is a foot of snow outside and its probably -20 degrees). I lose most of my motivation in the summer when its hot & sunny
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I personally find it waaaay easier to go to the gym during the winter (despite the fact that there is a foot of snow outside and its probably -20 degrees). I lose most of my motivation in the summer when its hot & sunny

Same here. I love going to the gym in the cold because it warms me up plus I get a 15 min. nap in the sauna afterwards. When it's 90 - 100 degrees I really hate being inside the gym even with air conditioning.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not really. It's just weather, and if you live in a place like I do, there's going to be a lot of it, for several months yet. Dress for it, and go on with your life. Or, stay home and do a video workout online or something.

Me, I'm about to head downstairs for a rowing machine workout, but tomorrow I'll go out in the predicted 28 degree F weather, because it'll be time for spin class. I expect both of those to be reasonably fun/enjoyable, so to be worth my time. I'll feel better for doing them.

Motivation is a pretty amorphous thing. Some people don't even think you need it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

The internet quote of the day. I love it.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

nstock wrote: »
    It’s just weather. I live in Canada, so I’m used to 6 months of cold weather. If you leave the house to go to work, you can leave to go to the gym. The only part I’ll say sucks is slush on the ground and having to wear boots to the gym. But life goes on even in the winter

Canada here too!

You have to adapt. I do kickboxing year round but also tend to do more outdoor workouts in the summer/fall, etc. Because of winter/cold I started about a month ago going to the gym first thing in the morning 3 or 4x per week before work, to makeup for not being outside as much, and I love it!!! I have a 30 minute workout I do, sprints on treadmill, step machine, etc. Because I have a quick workout that I have developed, it fits in nicely with my morning schedule. One of the things I like about it is I tend to have more energy at 6:00 a.m. then I do in the evening.

It is kind of going back old school for me because for years back in the day I used to faithfully go to the gym every morning before work.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, plan was for a run before work today. Woke up to snow so plan changed and will use the treadmill after work. Sucks but just what we have to do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Glad you got to the gym!

That’s quite a run! Especially in the winter! I used to live less than a block from Lake Calhoun ( they renamed it, can’t remember the new name) on the west side. Walked & biked it many times. (Not a runner, daughter is though, it’s a favorite run for her. She ran your route many times this year training for the TC marathon) Lake Harriet rose garden is a favorite summertime destination.

It's now called Bde Maka Ska (means "Lake White Earth"), still one of the most beautiful places to run in Minneapolis. I usually get to it during my longer runs and it is always a treat.