What do you put in your oatmeal?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon and flaxmeal, all added after cooking. Sometimes I'll have it with flaxmeal, really ripe banana and Splenda brown sugar blend. Oh, and I cook it with half milk/half water.
  • beast_kitty89
    beast_kitty89 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I turn my boiled oatmeal into smoothies. I call one recipe Banana Bread Smoothie. Banana, oatmeal, cinnamon, a tiny bit of sugar, nonflavored yogurt, milk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    lustymads wrote: »
    I'm a ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I'm always looking for more ways to sneak protein into my oatmeal - I eat overnight oats almost every morning. Most days I do 0.5cup frozen berries, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4-1/2 cup some kind of yogurt (Greek if it's on sale) and 0.5tbsp maple syrup. I can't stomach oatmeal without sweetener yet.
    Other days I'll do PB powder, 1/4 or 1/8 cup walnuts or pecans, and cinnamon.
    Lately I've been adding hemp seed protein powder to it as well - I bought it on a whim and in oatmeal is the only way I can stomach it. It adds extra fiber/protein, but kind of tastes like hay unless you disguise it.
    Today I made hot oatmeal as I got up a little early and did 1 tbsp peanut butter and my usual berry blend. It was PBJ gooey, hot goodness. 10/10 would recommend.

@lustymads, if you like the flavor generally, try blackstrap molasses as a sweetener (different brands have very different flavors). I like my oatmeal a bit sweeter, too, and the molasses has a meaningful amount of micronutrients (iron & potassium, chiefly), giving it that vague aura of healthful virtue as well as the hedonically-desired sweetness. ;) Before the blackstrap molasses, I used a tasty brand of all-fruit spread, which was also nice.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm a ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I'm always looking for more ways to sneak protein into my oatmeal - I eat overnight oats almost every morning. Most days I do 0.5cup frozen berries, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4-1/2 cup some kind of yogurt (Greek if it's on sale) and 0.5tbsp maple syrup. I can't stomach oatmeal without sweetener yet.
    Lately I've been adding hemp seed protein powder to it as well - I bought it on a whim and in oatmeal is the only way I can stomach it. It adds extra fiber/protein, but kind of tastes like hay unless you disguise it.
    Today I made hot oatmeal as I got up a little early and did 1 tbsp peanut butter and my usual berry blend. It was PBJ gooey, hot goodness. 10/10 would recommend.

@lustymads, if you like the flavor generally, try blackstrap molasses as a sweetener (different brands have very different flavors). I like my oatmeal a bit sweeter, too, and the molasses has a meaningful amount of micronutrients (iron & potassium, chiefly), giving it that vague aura of healthful virtue as well as the hedonically-desired sweetness. ;) Before the blackstrap molasses, I used a tasty brand of all-fruit spread, which was also nice.

Yes...it's a yummy thing 1 tbsp is around 60 calories though...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes...it's a yummy thing 1 tbsp is around 60 calories though...

True! But 26 calories for the aforementioned 1/2T of maple syrup, and if 1/2T of blackstrap molasses will do, the micros are better for around 30 calories (personally, I love the flavor, too). I'd go more calories for more than 1/2T for the potassium particularly, but that's just me and my overall balance. Just a thought.