The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @joha5603 You had two drinks of scotch, a cocktail, and a beer.

I could tell it wasn't going to end well when you had a scotch before you went out. Drinking before the actual event began rings alarm bells for me. Scotch doubly so.

Mixing drinks - no wonder 3 am was awful! Beer after spirits makes my stomach curdle just thinking about it.

Still, no damage done.

On the good side, you learned a lot, and failed much better than you used to, I expect! Don't punish yourself over this. x

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I was in that same situation. Lots of wine bottles in recycling and a few other liquor bottles. I would go through my liquor cabinet sometimes and finish up the bottles that were less filled. And then say to myself I am NOT buying any more liquor. Lately, I quietly monitor what my husband recycles. One huge bottle of Johnny Walker every other week. I don’t always see it in recycling which leads me to think, he’s hiding it in the garbage sometimes.

@RubyRed427 Does your husband drink anything else? One bottle every two weeks isn't terrible.

You're a good friend, so I hope you don't mind me saying that sounds a bit paranoid/controlling.

Have you been arguing with each other about alcohol again? x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Hi all. Are there any plans for a formal "Dry January"? tia.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Ok,we're all learning something new about ourselves and the way drinking can effect us,there is no failure! This is a opportunity to improve ourselves by not drinking alcohol,sometimes we slip up,sometimes we just have the heck with it attitude and give in to drinking,the important thing is that we learn something each time I think,new coping skills,new attitudes and determination,etc,@RubyRed427 I'm with you,,alcohol just makes me sick and like @joha5603 said it ages me overnight,my stomach gets wrecked and I get that that 3 am wake up anxiety/sweats no matter what if I've drank,bloody awful feeling,Yuck! Hope we all have a super,sober Sunday <3
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Drank wine last night. Bad idea. One glass opened the door to five more. I cannot drink. I have serious problems and feel quite badly about myself today. When will I learn? Day 1 and mad at myself for this horrible hangover I caused. 😕

Oh, RubyRed427 ...! I wish I could hug you in real life! It's just a hangover, and you know it'll pass, and tomorrow you'll feel better and you will be better informed for the next time. Isn't the idea of a glass of wine lovely? Sounds so classy, so reasonable! ...but apparently it's not us. It's not for us, and it's a tough one to handle. I get it. I see you! I see me in you, too. You made a bad choice, but that's all -- it doesn't make you a bad person. Please don't feel bad about yourself. You're good people, I can tell from what you write here. Hang in there, Ruby. :smiley:
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I have to get over the fact that other people can drink , but I cannot.

And you WILL. You are one of my biggest inspirations and I truly believe that you will pull yourself out of this struggle...Struggling is a good thing because it means you're still fighting. You have not given up!! It means that you are human like the rest of us weak humans & this is part of your learning and you will learn from this & come out stronger than before. I'm sending you a huge HUG!!!! <3

• lorrainequiche59
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Ok,we're all learning something new about ourselves and the way drinking can effect us,there is no failure! This is a opportunity to improve ourselves by not drinking alcohol,sometimes we slip up,sometimes we just have the heck with it attitude and give in to drinking,the important thing is that we learn something each time I think,new coping skills,new attitudes and determination,etc,@RubyRed427 I'm with you,,alcohol just makes me sick and like @joha5603 said it ages me overnight,my stomach gets wrecked and I get that that 3 am wake up anxiety/sweats no matter what if I've drank,bloody awful feeling,Yuck! Hope we all have a super,sober Sunday <3

GREAT summary...BTW you are a very sweet & kind person!! Just sayin' <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    @Orphia we don't argue about alcohol. I just seethe quietly that he drinks in front of me. It's not a good way for me to cope. I have to get over the fact that other people can drink , but I cannot.

I find it to be a lot like grieving. Every now and then something pulls me back a little from acceptance. I am closing on 18 months which is longer than I made it in previous attempts and I think a big part of it was letting go of the idea that someday I will get it under control and be able to drink responsibly. On every failed attempt, in the back of my mind I knew it wasn't permanent. This time it is. A big part of it is that I am about to enter my 60s. Older problem drinkers who still drink are at a higher risk of poor health in retirement that leads to a lower average life expectancy. It's not unusual for it to get a lot worse also.

It is totally like grieving. Letting go of something we've depended on to cope is difficult...it is a process that is individual, but what's often been said on this thread is that we need each other to help us go through this process...we can learn from & support each other regardless of where we are individually in the process of gaining a healthier, happier life free from our dependency on alcohol.

YES, the aging thing is a big consideration. Like you said the health consequences escalate the older we get. AND loneliness/depression in older years can lead to a drinking issue or exacerbate an existing one. So if we learn to cope in healthier ways now, it will help us in the years to come.