Intermittent fasting

Replies

• wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member

@wren176 When you eat breakfast and then fast the rest of the day, do you usually do the same thing the following day or do you do another fasting protocol?”

@cemkiss I normally will eat breakfast which consist of 4 pieces of bacon and then fast till breakfast the next day. I don’t know what it is about the bacon but it keeps me from being hungry. I have tried other proteins but they haven’t worked as well for me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    wren176 wrote: »
    @wren176 When you eat breakfast and then fast the rest of the day, do you usually do the same thing the following day or do you do another fasting protocol?”

@cemkiss I normally will eat breakfast which consist of 4 pieces of bacon and then fast till breakfast the next day. I don’t know what it is about the bacon but it keeps me from being hungry. I have tried other proteins but they haven’t worked as well for me.

are you only eating bacon for breakfast? are you getting your calories in per day?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member

are you only eating bacon for breakfast? are you getting your calories in per day?

I wondered this too - it sounds like she's only eating 4 slices of bacon a day and nothing else. I hope that isn't true.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    musicfan68 wrote: »

I wondered this too - it sounds like she's only eating 4 slices of bacon a day and nothing else. I hope that isn't true.

Im hoping thats not the case either.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    its day 4 and today is the first time ive truly struggled to fast until 12. i have woken up at 6am absolutely starving. i think its worse that i cant have a coffee latte to see me through lol

I fast from dinner done night till dinner the next night. At that meal I can have 500 calories, or I can spread them out during the day, just cannot go over the 500 calories. When I hit those days that I am just starving (yes, I do have them) I start with drinking something hot. Sometime I will even drink a can of chicken broth as it is very low on calories. If that doesn't work I'll have a boiled egg. I just have to NOT go over 500 calories for the day.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    kgb6days wrote: »
    its day 4 and today is the first time ive truly struggled to fast until 12. i have woken up at 6am absolutely starving. i think its worse that i cant have a coffee latte to see me through lol

I fast from dinner done night till dinner the next night. At that meal I can have 500 calories, or I can spread them out during the day, just cannot go over the 500 calories. When I hit those days that I am just starving (yes, I do have them) I start with drinking something hot. Sometime I will even drink a can of chicken broth as it is very low on calories. If that doesn't work I'll have a boiled egg. I just have to NOT go over 500 calories for the day.

Why 500? I fast, mostly 16:8, but sometimes 20:4. But I always eat the 1200ish
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

are you eating 500 every day? or just a couple days a week(like 5:2)? 500 a day all week and over time IF that is what you are doing is NOT healthy.
  • wren176
    I never fast more than 2 days a week and they are never consecutive. I do some of the same things a previous poster said. If I am hungry I will drink warm broth it helps curb the appetite. Today I ate 1,200 calories. I work 2 jobs and 80+ hours a week and have a large family. If I am super busy and can’t get away from my desk it’s an easy day to fast. I keep my fridge in my office stocked with low carb options like string cheese, avocado, boiled eggs, roast beef and I always have almonds in my desk. I very seldom drink anything other than water or broth.
  • wren176
    I forgot to mention I do bacon or sausage for breakfast every morning. The higher fats keep me full longer. I’ve tried lower fat options but they just didn’t curb my appetite as well. I started taking apple cider vinegar pills yesterday and I will see if they do anything for me.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member

I do 5/2 fasting. I fast 2 days per week - from dinner one night till dinner the next and then I eat up to 500 calories. I can eat the 500 calories at any time (such as when I am STARVING for some crazy reason). Non fast days I eat up to 2000 calories.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member

500 is what they call 5:2 fasting. you eat 500 calories 2 days a week and maintenance calories the other 5. it still puts you into a deficit of calories for the week. some can do 5:2 while others cannot. I could not do 5:2 I do 16:8 most of the time and sometimes 18:6.

Sounds difficult, but if it works for you guys!!!
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    trdrsix0s wrote: »
    3 square and no snacks has had profound impact for me albeit in a short month tome period.

3 square and no snacks is a beginning step into IF really. Glad it's working for you. 👍
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I'm on a baseline of 16:8 seven days a week since Dec 3 and have lost 14 lbs so far. I've done three 24 hr fasts in that period because my appetite is so under control sometimes lol.

IF is awesome!

weight was lost because you were in a deficit(a big one at that) due to those days of no food for 24 hrs so that means no calories. Ive gained weight fasting and Im maintaining weight now fasting.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    trdrsix0s wrote: »
    3 square and no snacks has had profound impact for me albeit in a short month tome period.

3 square and no snacks is a beginning step into IF really. Glad it's working for you. 👍

not true. some people fast and do 1 meal a day, some do 2 meals a day. like me I eat 2 meals usually and a few snacks a day. IF is a window of time in which you eat your meals(calories) how many meals that is depends on the person. There is no one size fits all category when it comes to fasting or how many meals you need to eat per day
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!