Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share: I hadn't lost an ounce since August 5th and was REALLY Getting frustrated...I am in OWL and was going through the rungs (veggie, dairy, nuts ) and was ready to start berries yesterday when I posed a question about my LACK of weight loss on the Atkins BB. Lo and behold I was doing OWL incorrectly!! Color me stupid, but I thought each time you introduced a new food you ADDED 5 more carbs to you intake. Um, nope. I got it all straightened out, did it correctly yesterday with just extra veggies and reward= .5 pounds lost. Guess my body knows what it's doing...even if I don't!! Bummer is I wonder if my CCL is gonna be a measly 40 grams of carbs....:(

I worry about OWL, I'll have to re-read that part of the book. I worry that my CCL won't be over 40, too, but then, I'm not sure where I'd fit them in anyway! I'm never even hungry!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I have to set my calorie goal as 1600 to get my carbs to 20, I don't want to eat that many calories! And how much protein should be the minimum percentage? This goal thing is mixing me up today.

Don't worry about counting your calories. You should only be concerned about getting your 20 net carbs, 12 of which should come from salads and from the veggies on the accepetable foods list. When I do that, my calories are always between 1200 and 1600. I set my diary to show carbs, fiber, sugar, but I always glance at the calories.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Do you all eat even if you are not hungry? That's the pitfall I ran into years ago with Atkins. I would eat a decent breakfast and then not be hungry for the rest of the day.

This morning I had scrambled eggs with tomato, bell pepper, onion, ham and cheese plus 7 small strawberries. That was 4 hours ago and I'm still full. I'm not ready for lunch even though it's lunchtime.

I'm never hungry, but I always eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, a mid-afternoon snack (nuts, peanut butter, cheese) and an evening snack (usually the Atkins bar). Then I always drink another glass or two of water before bed. That's more of a mental thing with me. I imagine that it washes all of the bad sugars out of me through the night. Seems to work, too!
  • jatcat310
    Options
    I have done it!!! I found this group today and have successfully completed reading all 18 pages of it....yes, I am at work and have been slipping in reading of posts all day long but I did it...learned so much and am so excited!!!!
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Do you all eat even if you are not hungry? That's the pitfall I ran into years ago with Atkins. I would eat a decent breakfast and then not be hungry for the rest of the day.

This morning I had scrambled eggs with tomato, bell pepper, onion, ham and cheese plus 7 small strawberries. That was 4 hours ago and I'm still full. I'm not ready for lunch even though it's lunchtime.

I am on a modified Atkins diet. I follow the food intake guidelines but use a different feeding schedule. I recently tried (and still using) the Fast-5 schedule of fasting for 19hrs with a feeding window of 5 hours. It really worked to kick up the weight loss for me. My current feeding window is from 4PM to 9PM. In the first few days of the first week I ate as much as normally do during normal feeding hours. As the weeks went my appetite subsided and I don't eat as much as I used to. Its weird the way it worked. Now and then I will fast for 36 hours. And although I have allowed myself one cheating day a week I have not taken it in almost a month.

I am still energetic and have dropped 27 pounds and 12% fat in exactly 4 months today.
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Options
    Is it acceptable to eat more than one MIM per day? They are very addictive! You can make them in so many ways!! I have been microwaving my mixture in a flat bottomed bowl and then toasting, for bacon and egg mcmuffin :) (halve the mixture for each side of the muffin, and just using egg, baking powder and flax meal, no sweeteners)
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    I have to set my calorie goal as 1600 to get my carbs to 20, I don't want to eat that many calories! And how much protein should be the minimum percentage? This goal thing is mixing me up today.

Others have already answered you but I did want to mention that I read the average woman on Atkins can have 1800-2200 and still lose weight.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Is it acceptable to eat more than one MIM per day? They are very addictive! You can make them in so many ways!! I have been microwaving my mixture in a flat bottomed bowl and then toasting, for bacon and egg mcmuffin :) (halve the mixture for each side of the muffin, and just using egg, baking powder and flax meal, no sweeteners)

I would think it is fine to eat one or two a day. I don't know that I'd eat much more than that though. They are really good!
    You should try the Oopsie rolls too for a nice bread alternative. I screwed up the recipe and made them pretty flat once. They were like crackers! so I spread on some tuna salad. So good!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can, if you want, but all of that fiber might make your digestive system unhappy. I certainly wouldn't eat more than 2. Give it a try, and then you'll know for sure. :)
  • vryanz
    vryanz Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I have just started the Atkins diet. This is day 4, and still have that slow yucky feeling. :/ Maybe by next week it will get better. I have a few questions for you, How do you track your carbs on MFP? I mean, I know it shows up when you track the cals, but is there an easier way to make it mainly a carb tracker?
    Also, I use P90x as a workout. I feel like i just don't have the energy to do it though. It takes a lot out of you. Should I keep trying to do it, or wait until I am out of phase 1?
    Thanks everyone!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I have just started the Atkins diet. This is day 4, and still have that slow yucky feeling. :/ Maybe by next week it will get better. I have a few questions for you, How do you track your carbs on MFP? I mean, I know it shows up when you track the cals, but is there an easier way to make it mainly a carb tracker?
    Also, I use P90x as a workout. I feel like i just don't have the energy to do it though. It takes a lot out of you. Should I keep trying to do it, or wait until I am out of phase 1?
    Thanks everyone!

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I can't help sticking my two cents in anyway. I think tracking your fat and protein is just as important as tracking your carbs. You could only choose to show carbs by changing your food settings but imo that would be a mistake as I think knowing you are getting enough fat (60% or more) and sufficient protein is equally important. I also track fiber as that is sometimes sparse on a low carb diet.

I play tennis on low carb but I've been doing it several months and my body has adapted to the fuel I'm giving it over that time. If you think you're getting run down in exercise you could try taking in some fast absorbing carbs right before you do your P90X. I've done this before with some dextrose candy I'd carry with me. I didn't eat a ton of it, just a little if I was feeling sluggish. Now I don't even do that. I will usually drink a 20oz gatorade when it has been as hot and humid as recently while playing. That has 35 grams of carbs but I burn those off while playing and I'm back in ketosis as soon as I get home as confirmed by using Ketostix. YMMV.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

This "carb flu" feeling will go away! Hang in there, and don't cheat! It will go away, it just takes longer for some than others. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and getting most of your carbs from veggies.
    As for tracking, you can set your diary to track whatever you like. I have mine set to track carbs and fiber (so I can do a quick net carb count), protein, fat and sugar. You can eliminate every catagory but calories and carbs, I guess, but I like to see my fat, protein and sugars, too.
    Hang in there, and your energy will come back, and you'll feel great! Just follow the plan! Good luck!
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

The latest Atkins book recommends reducing duration or intensity of exercise for the first few weeks as you get use to the diet. And thats if physical activity is already part of your life. If you were sedentary then you will need to wait at least two weeks before adding activity. (p.73 of The New Atkins For a New You)
  • jatcat310
    Options
    To get the book or not to get the book that is the question? I am getting it for my nook! Should I get the newest one out?
  • kittrelle
    Options
    To get the book or not to get the book that is the question? I am getting it for my nook! Should I get the newest one out?
    I would get DANDR 2002-it's the last edition before he died, and I like to read about the diet from the horse's mouth...
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would get DANDR 2002-it's the last edition before he died, and I like to read about the diet from the horse's mouth...

I have the book from before he died too. I also have a kit that's got recipes and such from 2000. I love it.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I have a problem digesting pork and beef. I have had this problem ever since i was a little girl. I pretty much stopped eating beef and pork when I was 9 because of this. Now that I am doing Atkins, I would really like to add these foods back to my diet for more variety. They still upset my digestive system though. Beef is the worst, even a small amount of beef bothers me. Pork is better, but still iffy. Interestingly bacon gives me no trouble at all. Do you know of any supplement or anything at all really that will help relieve my digestive upset? I am desperate!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi guys. I have a problem digesting pork and beef. I have had this problem ever since i was a little girl. I pretty much stopped eating beef and pork when I was 9 because of this. Now that I am doing Atkins, I would really like to add these foods back to my diet for more variety. They still upset my digestive system though. Beef is the worst, even a small amount of beef bothers me. Pork is better, but still iffy. Interestingly bacon gives me no trouble at all. Do you know of any supplement or anything at all really that will help relieve my digestive upset? I am desperate!

I am pretty sure there is such a thing as a beef allergy, although I also believe its pretty rare. If it actually is a food allergy you might be able to get some relief with OTC antihistamines.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I am going to be adding all the like minded thinkers as my MFP friends. :happy:
    I find that having low carber friends is the best way to reinforce ideas, share recipes, and support each other.

I am also very happy that a "disclaimer" was included in the introduction.

Glad to see so many people living the low carb life! :bigsmile:
    Cheers!:drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I tried my own variation on a peanut butter MIM this morning. I replaced the butter with peanut butter and used 1 tsp. of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) instead of the cinnamon. I melted the peanut butter for about 20 seconds before adding in the egg and then the dry ingredients. The end result wasn't quite "peanut buttery" enough for me, so I used another teaspoon (not tablespoon) of peanut butter to spread a very thin layer on the slices. That was enough and it was very tasty.

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. PB2
    1 egg
    1 packet of Splenda
    2 tsp. peanut butter (one in the muffin, one to spread on top)

280 calories, 4 net grams of carbs, 9 grams of fiber, 15 grams of protein

ETA: For those who haven't seen the MIM (muffin in a minute) before, it's made in the microwave. Mix as directed in a coffee mug and cook on high for one minute. The muffin slides right out of the mug. Slice and eat.