Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Today's decluttering task is to create a household binder. So I stripped the bed, am washing sheets and blanket, and folded laundry. Will start dinner soon, and not sure what else I'll get up to. Happy Monday everyone!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    nrtauthor wrote: »
    We're having a baby in a few months. We live in a 700 sq. ft. home, no basement, no closets. One bedroom so we have to figure out how to get the crib in with the bed and warddrobe. It's a tricky process.

As I was trying to figure that out, we moved 9 boxes of things out of the bedroom and into storage and we moved a further truck bed or stuff to the dump. I wish I was motivated enough to sell some things instead of dump them but I just don't have the energy!

The process of trying to fit the crib into the bedroom made me realize I have hung onto a TON of stuff that I never, ever use. Some of this stuff has been in boxes for 7 years and I don't touch it! It's the point I don't even know what all I have because it's so cluttered and stuffed in that I can't access it.

So... I decided to begin a great decluttering process. We have plans to move to a bigger house in two years (how long it will take to save a down payment) but I don't want to live in clutter until then so we have a place for storage and I will be slowly but surely shipping everything we don't need to storage until we own a bigger home.

I truly feel our problem is part hanging onto things we don't need and part living in a space way too small for us. When we married he had his own home and I had my own and we had filled both homes with our 'stuff'. And then we had to move some 1700 sq. ft. of stuff into 700 sq. ft. of living space. LOL.

Now, a baby joins the mix. And I don't want my baby to be surrounded by clutter.

During this process I have also developed a backbone. Which has led to some relationships that have been damaged. But I realized I let people treat me really poorly and it's not okay. It has been a very painful process (especially while pregnant!) but also a very, very needed process (it's about time!).

In the next few months before baby arrives I am hoping to declutter our physical space but also to declutter our lives from toxicity.

Man of MAN what a tremendously HELPFUL post this is. It is so comforting knowing we're not alone in this struggle/battle, that there are many others fighting, winning and even DARING to consider doing something about the oppressive and yuck of having an overload of "stuff/mess/clutter", stuff we haven't even looked at in years (and thus so NOT needed)! Thank you ever so very much for posting. I'm/we're so cheering you on and super mega congrats on having a beautiful, wonderful new baby love coming into your life soon. I'm so happy for you and your family for the new addition and for choosing to say "THAT'S IT" to the excess and clutter--YAY YOU!!!
    o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Today's decluttering task is to create a household binder. So I stripped the bed, am washing sheets and blanket, and folded laundry. Will start dinner soon, and not sure what else I'll get up to. Happy Monday everyone!

Happy Monday to you Snoo! YAY YOU and Good job on ALL that you're doing today. THANK YOU for posting and giving me the idea to vacuum/clean and turn over our mattress. I didn't think of it until you posted this. BOOM!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Absolutely, that's my way of life. I just moved internationally and found I had 14m^3 of stuff and furniture. That's down from 20m^3, down from.. more. Basically I love having a rather empty flat with low furniture standing on legs so that you can look underneath or look-through shelves. Everything looks a lot more spacious then.

My previous flat was 40m^2, which honestly is actually big for a big UK city flat, and it was absolutely perfect for me. My flat in the Netherlands now is quite a bit bigger, actually too big to be honest but I could not find anything smaller with a complete kitchen (meaning a freezer with at least 2 drawers, fridge with 3-4 planks, oven). But it's still small compared to what could have been affordable. The choice was very deliberate: I could have rented a twice s big place further out of the city centre for about the same rent, but: commuting time (2.3km by bike)! Heating bill! Being further away from supermarkets, little corner shops and the fantastic Saturday outdoor food market here means I would have wasted more time with groceries, possibly spent more money, had less choice. Being in the city centre means I don't need a car to get to work, do groceries, get anywhere (I take the train). It also means I get home from work at around 17:30, dinner is ready at about 18:00 -> at least 4 hours time to eat, relax, workout, learn new skills or just watch tv. Basically, have a very relaxed life.

For me, decluttering not only means having little stuff, but also to simplify my life and to maximise me-time.

Congrats on your new place and changing the way you're thinking and doing things, so GLAD it's working out for you. You're so spot on when you say "For me, decluttering not only means having little stuff, but also to simplify my life and to maximise me-time."

That's the ticket honey, BOOM! Also THANK YOU so much for contributing to this thread. <3o:)<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Day one of formal exercising. I did 10lbs of arms and leg lifts for a few minutes, did a bit of full body rowing and a bit of my full body exercise bike. I purposely am NOT timing these exercises, because I don't want to put myself in the box of doing it with an ounce of pressure or anything like that. I would much rather "under-do it" than over-do it--there will be none of that, period. If I had to guess, I would say I did all of these exercises in about 30 minutes or less. SLOW and STEADY wins the race...that's how we "turtles" get down.
  • snoo61
    Options
    Day one of formal exercising. I did 10lbs of arms and leg lifts for a few minutes, did a bit of full body rowing and a bit of my full body exercise bike. I purposely am NOT timing these exercises, because I don't want to put myself in the box of doing it with an ounce of pressure or anything like that. I would much rather "under-do it" than over-do it--there will be none of that, period. If I had to guess, I would say I did all of these exercises in about 30 minutes or less. SLOW and STEADY wins the race...that's how we "turtles" get down.

Under- doing it is a much better idea. You won't be too sore to move, making it easier to want to do it again. Turtles are smart!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Under- doing it is a much better idea. You won't be too sore to move, making it easier to want to do it again. Turtles are smart!

:D<3B)
  • snoo61
    Options
    Monday's task is always to read about the upcoming tasks for the week. I read it, and then cleaned out 2 cupboards under the counter. Got rid of a few things, washed the shelves, inside the doors, and scrubbed the outside of the doors. Put the things I'm keeping back, but in places that make more sense.
    By the way, I found 5 empty jars (mayo, pickle, etc) way in the back. WTH was I thinking?
  • snoo61
    Options
    I just put on my pjs and can shimmy out of my size 10's without unbuttoning nor unzipping them. This means size 8 is in my near future...so grateful, so thankful. Not sure why I'm so amazed, but amazed I am that I can take off my size 10 jeans without unbuttoning them. It seems like just YESTERDAY I was saying that about my size 16's. So...it looks like possibly before year's end, o:) I'll be in a size 8 from a size 22w this time last year. o:)Slow and steady---it's so worth it!!!!
    44757625_499828113846051_680599856786131269_n.jpg

Well...December 19th, I felt strongly in my spirit that I'd be in an incredible and DELIGHTFUL size 8 "in the near future". Here we are, 8 days into the new year AND...

h2u41vzbit5z.jpg

66btq0oeyxr0.jpg

hlqc5fxc4l3v.jpg

r1tkpf48i4fh.jpg

jmaoj6mf2ek9.jpg

LOOK at how TINY these jeans are....WOW!

zaf4gsboqwt8.jpg

I'm a size 8 baby--oh YEAH size 8, these jeans fit/feel absolutely terrific--YES, they are a wee bit "form fitting, but I can jump and move in them like they're leggings. I've got about 9 more pounds to go, before I reach my goal, so they will DEFINITELY be fitting looser by then, so humbled and grateful I'm squeezing my tail into these--I LOVE it mega YAY!!!!

Girl!!!! You are so inspiring! You're almost to goal! That's incredible!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Monday's task is always to read about the upcoming tasks for the week. I read it, and then cleaned out 2 cupboards under the counter. Got rid of a few things, washed the shelves, inside the doors, and scrubbed the outside of the doors. Put the things I'm keeping back, but in places that make more sense.
    By the way, I found 5 empty jars (mayo, pickle, etc) way in the back. WTH was I thinking?

Snoo, you are kicking MAJOR tail and taking names in the decluttering department. I admire you so...GO GIRL, you winner you BOOM! Maybe you were saving the jars for, ummmm...extra pocket change you're saving or something? :D

I just put on my pjs and can shimmy out of my size 10's without unbuttoning nor unzipping them. This means size 8 is in my near future...so grateful, so thankful. Not sure why I'm so amazed, but amazed I am that I can take off my size 10 jeans without unbuttoning them. It seems like just YESTERDAY I was saying that about my size 16's. So...it looks like possibly before year's end, o:) I'll be in a size 8 from a size 22w this time last year. o:)Slow and steady---it's so worth it!!!!

Well...December 19th, I felt strongly in my spirit that I'd be in an incredible and DELIGHTFUL size 8 "in the near future". Here we are, 8 days into the new year AND...

h2u41vzbit5z.jpg

66btq0oeyxr0.jpg

hlqc5fxc4l3v.jpg

r1tkpf48i4fh.jpg

jmaoj6mf2ek9.jpg

zaf4gsboqwt8.jpg

I'm a size 8 baby--oh YEAH size 8, these jeans fit/feel absolutely terrific--YES, they are a wee bit "form fitting, but I can jump and move in them like they're leggings. I've got about 9 more pounds to go, before I reach my goal, so they will DEFINITELY be fitting looser by then, so humbled and grateful I'm squeezing my tail into these--I LOVE it mega YAY!!!!

Girl!!!! You are so inspiring! You're almost to goal! That's incredible!

Life is GRAND--all of it, the "good" the "bad" the "ugly" and a new catergory--"the healthy/slim and trim, uncluttered parts of it". Life Lessons and CHOICES everyday of our lives...WOW!
    <3o:):'(o:)<3
  • snoo61
    Options
    @ NEWLIFEstyle4ME thanks! I'm so happy I found this thread. I'm surprising myself with my persistence, and have all of you to thank for keeping me motivated. :smiley:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Another thing I am going to try again...I don't remember exactly where I found it (I have to look again & will post it when I do...I had a chart (last used in 2017) so it was 2017 things to get rid of in 2017. Lots of little boxes to mark. It seemed to be really motivating to mark off boxes as I got rid of things. I need to do this again!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh, and congrats on those tiny size 8 jeans!!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options

h2u41vzbit5z.jpg

66btq0oeyxr0.jpg

hlqc5fxc4l3v.jpg

r1tkpf48i4fh.jpg

jmaoj6mf2ek9.jpg

zaf4gsboqwt8.jpg

I'm a size 8 baby--oh YEAH size 8, these jeans fit/feel absolutely terrific--YES, they are a wee bit "form fitting" :*:o:# , but I can jump and move in them like they're leggings. I've got about 9 more pounds to go, before I reach my goal, so they will DEFINITELY be fitting looser by then, so humbled and grateful I'm squeezing my tail into these--I LOVE it mega YAY!!!!

Woohoo on the Suze 8 I am so proud for you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!